BajaNomad

White Seabass

woody with a view - 2-16-2013 at 08:10 PM

When do the ghosts return to the Punta Banda area? I know that they like the springtime and I'm willing to abide by their schedule! I want to know when they might USUALLY arrive so that we can drag our tin soldier down and haul a few back home.

I can find my way around bdoutdoors.com and such, but figger this place needs a section for fisher-peeps who wanna stretch some fish lips! anyone in for a quick trip?

[Edited on 2-17-2013 by woody with a view]

KaceyJ - 2-16-2013 at 09:23 PM

Woodrow,

WSb in the area you're interested in is kind of a a rarity and harder to predict than other less pressured areas.

A little further drive and a a little more time will increase your chances.

You probably already know what I'd reco but U2 for FI

MMc - 2-16-2013 at 11:27 PM

Dude. you are in B F E, fish when you can for what you can.
Me, I got northern Baja yesterday at overhead and off shore.
Tube party, not bad for a soul in the 909.
I wish you could surf as much as me... I bet you do to...

BornFisher - 2-16-2013 at 11:42 PM

When the squid return, the WSB will follow. Best bet is the Ensenada fish market. If they have it for sale, ask where it came from. If they say somewhere far away, just buy a fish and save your time.
Last year I couldn`t find the squid and caught ZERO WSB. Year before, found the squid and got 6 WSB. That was in July.

BajaBlanca - 2-17-2013 at 08:13 AM

someone brought in WSB at Joaquin's last night, to put on the BBQ.

tripledigitken - 2-17-2013 at 08:35 AM

Had a tasty WSB meal at Malarrimo two weeks ago! Almost forgot just how good there are.

Ken

DENNIS - 2-17-2013 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
When the squid return, the WSB will follow. Best bet is the Ensenada fish market. If they have it for sale, ask where it came from.

My worker, Vicente, runs the third skiff for Ivan Villarino and I'll look into the WSB situation. Usually, when they make a run, I hear about it immediatly. All the local boys get in the water and the whole town hears of their catch.

Alan - 2-17-2013 at 12:36 PM

mexfish.com is no longer an active site however they used to post a weekly fish report for almost everywhere in Baja. The good news is they still have all of those reports archived on the site. Just look at past year's reports for the area of interest to get a feeling for when what species typically have shown up in the past.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 2-17-2013 at 01:53 PM

Hola woody,

i have caught wsb in san quintin inside the harbor this past august and in september a couple of years ago. they have caught them up to around 70 pounds intermittently ( not me ).

another website that has info is " bloodydecks.com " and there are regular postings when the bite is on.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

bajacalifornian - 2-17-2013 at 02:46 PM

I'd go. Depends exactly when . . .

Pacifico - 2-17-2013 at 07:20 PM

I'd be down to go! I've always heard Lee Moreno? in Camalu is the guy to go with for big WSB.... Not sure of the season, I thought Sept/Oct was a good time? :?::?::?:

aguachico - 2-17-2013 at 10:09 PM

big croakers in the the nets at popotla 3 weeks ago.

woody with a view - 2-18-2013 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
My worker, Vicente, runs the third skiff for Ivan Villarino and I'll look into the WSB situation. Usually, when they make a run, I hear about it immediatly. All the local boys get in the water and the whole town hears of their catch.

we fished with V last may for zero WSB but alot of reds and lings.

Skipjack Joe - 2-18-2013 at 09:10 AM

Lings are a better table fare than either halibut or WSB. In my opinion, that is.