BajaNomad

Hector

tripledigitken - 2-17-2013 at 08:54 AM

For the last 13 years I have been intrigued by this shrine north of Catavina. A truck driver who died on a sharp curve isn’t unusual in Baja. Shrines dot the landscape of similar accidents. What makes his shrine so unique is the fact that his family and friends have maintained this site for 13 years. Just last month when I took the first two photos, the site had to have been freshly painted within the last couple of days. This twenty-two year old is surely missed by his familia and friends.

taken in 2007

bajaguy - 2-17-2013 at 09:05 AM

We will be passing Hector this week on our way to Guerrero negro for our whale watching trip.

I always give hector a toot of the horn salute when I pass.

monoloco - 2-17-2013 at 09:18 AM

Ken, I checked out your galleries on smugmug, you have some really fantastic shots there. One of my favorites was your accordion photo. Keep up the good work!

tripledigitken - 2-17-2013 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Ken, I checked out your galleries on smugmug, you have some really fantastic shots there. One of my favorites was your accordion photo. Keep up the good work!

Monoloco,

Thanks, i'm glad you took the time to look. The accordian player is Steve Riley, with his band the Mamou Playboys from New Orleans. I took that last May at the Gator by the Bay event held in San Diego every Mother's Day weekend. A must see event for all thinks NOLA. Great food, dance and music for 3 days.

Also there last year, for you grey hairs (with or without ponytails), Commander Cody.

Who could forget "Down to seeds and stems again blues"?

Loretana - 2-17-2013 at 11:15 AM

Getting back to Hector........

I too, find this shrine quite touching. Someone really loved this guy.

I stopped in October to show it to my friend; it has always been well tended. :saint:

tripledigitken - 2-17-2013 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
Getting back to Hector........

caught highjacking my own thread......

October, 2005

David K - 2-17-2013 at 02:22 PM

Monument to Hector (Km. 116-117)

bajacalifornian - 2-17-2013 at 02:37 PM

I talk with him every time I go by . . .