BajaNomad

Good karma

vseasport - 2-17-2013 at 11:06 AM

Good Karma
Strong north winds shut down the great bite the East Cape had been experiencing for several days. Now after a 5 day blow it has backed off. Before the blow anglers were able to make Mackerel and sardines on the high spot just about 2 miles off Buena Vista in 300 feet of water. Soaking the freshly made bait in the same location was very effective to hook yellowtail. Most of the yellowtail have been quality grade between 30 and 40 pounds.

Just off the high spot in a thousand feet a huge volume of humbolt squid have shown up. Commercial fishermen have been harvesting the big squid by the ton. There has been a huge semi in town paying 4 pesos a kilo for the calimari from anyone wanting to sell it.

Last week we finally finished winter maintenance on the Jen Wren boats. Hot to trot I have been waiting for calm weather to launch Jen Wren III and get in on the yellowtail bite. Licking my chops getting ready to launch I discovered a hummingbird nesting under the bow pulpit of the boat. Looking at my options I believe it would be bad karma to disturb mama while she is sitting on her nest. I'm going to let this cycle of weather pass. Hopefully when the next cycle of calm arrives the little birdies will have flown the coop.

This has to be good karma

Anyone know how long it takes for hummingbird eggs to incubate? I want to go fishing.

Jen Wren III had a big Christmas with a complete new Simrad electronics package including two touch screen multifunction plotters in the bridge.

Who is that masked man? Last of our paint work is completed.

We pealed off all the teak trim on Jen Wren and replaced it with Starboard.
While other fleet boats have cut back we have been very ambitious maintaining and improving the Jen Wren fleet.

It has been pretty cool to have Big Bird walk with me on the beach every morning.

I had no idea how territorial blue herons are. This guy moved in and set up shop weeks ago.

The best source for the latest East Cape fishing conditions "like"
www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
US cell 310 308 5841

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by BajaNomad]

desertcpl - 2-17-2013 at 11:35 AM

must say your fleet of boats are beautiful

I can see that your a real tickler for up keep, it shows

willardguy - 2-17-2013 at 11:59 AM

I swapped out all the teak for starboard on my whaler also, no wood is good wood, leave the teak to the sailors!

scouter - 2-17-2013 at 12:00 PM

I have been told if a bird nests where you sleep thats very good luck !!

mulegemichael - 2-17-2013 at 01:50 PM

just about all birds take around 28 days to hatch...hang in there, mark.

bajacalifornian - 2-17-2013 at 02:48 PM

Excellent karma!

monoloco - 2-17-2013 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
just about all birds take around 28 days to hatch...hang in there, mark.
They take 28 days to hatch, then spend another 2-3 weeks in the nest.

BajaBlanca - 2-17-2013 at 06:55 PM

mark - for sure that will be good karma .... beautiful boat ...

CaboMagic - 2-17-2013 at 08:24 PM

Mark - have previously noted with applause what you do and how you do it .. but must take exception to this comment you made: While other fleet boats have cut back we have been very ambitious maintaining and improving the Jen Wren fleet.

Good thing you made a better than decent living in the USA selling real estate which afforded/affords you a mighty comfy life -- supplemented by positioning ...

Those people you refer to as 'other fleet boats' are the locals, the nationals, whose lives have been affected/effected and impacted dramatically - good and bad - by 'your' arrival in East Cape ..

Congrats on all and wish you much continued success.

sd - 2-17-2013 at 09:50 PM

Tommy,

Just my opinion as a frequent guest and fisherman at the East Cape. Although I have never fished on Mark's boat, I have met him (he was promoting Baja at the Fred Hall show) when I spoke to him. I had a friend charter his boat and he was shown a great time on a quality boat with first class tackle.

I have fished on many panga's and cruisers. I have seen no tackle, poorly maintained boats, broken rods and reels, and sometimes poor attitudes. I have my favorite panga captain who loves to fish, and bring my own gear to avoid being disappointed.

A huge advantage of an operation like Mark's is an angler knows they can book a trip and have first class equipment, boat and service. I am guessing that you have this same type of operation. I want a choice, and competition is good.

My point is that any charter boat needs to have maintanence, it's not an option. Tackle if provided should have no broken rod guides or reels. My cost for a panga is in the $400 daily cost when allowing for boat and tip for the captain. Profit is limited I understand, but I do like to see effort from both the boat owner and captains to provide a clean and operational boat.

Saltwater and the harsh environment is hard on these boats, I understand.

I checked Mark's availability calendar recently, and it appears anglers like his operation. My opinion is that his "arrival" has created additional travel to the area.

I love the East Cape, and perhaps we will meet someday. Encourage other boat operators who may be complaining to take a look at their boats and tackle, and set aside a small portion of their charter fees to make repairs or upgrades. Many of the issues I see don't take money, just some time and elbow grease.

Great fishing news as it sounds like you are getting some non wind days and good fishing.

Just my thoughts as a visitor.

Scot