BajaNomad

Camping on Pacific side;

neilm81301 - 2-18-2013 at 11:35 AM

Say, El Rosario to Santa Rosalillita? (Did I spell that OK, Dave? Google Maps & Earth screw it up pretty bad).

Can I get down near the beach w 2WD?

Any guidebooks?

Thanks!

Neil

monoloco - 2-18-2013 at 03:10 PM

El Tomatal, turn in at the military checkpoint. Great spot, usually deserted, 2wd no problem.

woody with a view - 2-18-2013 at 04:44 PM

beware of rain. the soil is clay based in most cases and the sand is deep.

tiotomasbcs - 2-18-2013 at 05:05 PM

Soft sand is always there but take a shovel and old carpet. Just be careful and walk it out before you get too deep. Tire pressure ?! Smiles, DK. Tio

David K - 2-18-2013 at 06:55 PM

Yes you get an A+ for spelling the places correctly and a gold star for good attitude (you also tio tomas)! :biggrin: ;)

My response to your question is how near to the beach, and what kind of 2WD? A Porsche is different than a pickup truck, afterall!

That in mind, the roads towards the "Seven Sisters" coastline are mostly graded roads, and 2WD friendly IN DRY WEATHER.

However once you get near the coast on the various graded roads, you may not get to that sweet spot to set up camp without crossing some sand. So, you choices are less... There is also some silt (moon dust) beds in a few places along that coast where you drop into it and it engulfs your vehicle. I highly suggest a companion vehicle even if you had 4WD, but specially since you don't!

The suggestion of El Tomatal is good, and the road into Santa Rosalillita is paved, and before you get to the town, a government graded dirt road turns north off of it and accesses lots of coast... but not always right to the beach. You could drive as far north as Punta Cono from Santa Rosalillita. In the north, graded roads from Hwy. 1 go to:
a)Punta San Carlos (from Km. 80)
b) Puerto Catarina (from Km. 132/133)
c) Faro San Jose (from Km. 168)

Again, my advice is to go with another 4WD vehicle, and in dry weather only.

If you do get stuck in sand:
1) Don't spin the tires once you stop moving forward, as you will only bury your truck.
2) Remove the air in the tires to about 10 psi (for 2WD), and clear away the sand from in front of the tires (or back if you are backing out).
3) Avoid high speed, sudden turns, slamming the brakes when deflated.
4) Have an electric tire pump to refill the tires once you are done in the sand.

[Edited on 2-19-2013 by David K]

MMc - 2-18-2013 at 07:04 PM

What do want to do while camping? Long walks on the beach, picking up shells or rocks, surf fishing, cliff diving, set up camp and hang. If we know what you want to do it might make it easier. Some of us have explored lots of shoreline.

shari - 2-18-2013 at 08:37 PM

El Tomatal is hard to get to the beach in a 2 wheel drive...you can get close but it is very sandy...you can get out to Esmerelda though which is at the north end of Tomatal. Easy camping at Rosalillita but no restaurants at all.

Another great camp spot is Laguna Manuela...turn to the beach at Jesus Maria.

San Roque, just outside of Bahia Asuncion is fantastic for camping and an easy road to the beach...no 4X4 needed.

Maybe I'd better just get the 4x4

neilm81301 - 2-19-2013 at 10:03 AM

I'd been looking at camper van conversions, but they're almost all 2x and low-slung - at least in my price range (cheap).

4x truck/campers & 'burbs are more avail., that's probably the best approach.

Thanks for the advice. Shari, I do want to get down to Asuncion, hopefully this summer. That's really 1-1/2 or two days from the border - right?

Neil

shari - 2-19-2013 at 10:15 AM

get a cheap Trooper...they go anywhere! see ya when we see ya then

David K - 2-19-2013 at 11:18 AM

Neil, they make 4WD vans:
http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html
http://www.advanced4x4vans.com/
http://www.pathfinder-vans.com/
http://www.quadvan.com/

I piloted one, the Viva Baja Van... when Amo Pescar and I were going to have a tour business... on the test trip with fellow Amigos de Baja in 2001... Here, on the beach at Alfonsina's (Gonzaga Bay):

David K - 2-19-2013 at 11:21 AM

If you left San Diego early enough, specially in the summer, you can make Asuncion in one day... but why wear yourself out?

mtgoat666 - 2-19-2013 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

laguna manuela looks like interesting stop for camping. where do you camp at laguna manuela?

i see on google sat photo there is a fish camp(?) where main access road ends at ocean beach, and i see a broad rocky point west of the lagoon and fish camp.

camping

BajaDanD - 2-19-2013 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
Say, El Rosario to Santa Rosalillita? (Did I spell that OK, Dave? Google Maps & Earth screw it up pretty bad).

Can I get down near the beach w 2WD?

Any guidebooks?

Thanks!

Neil

you got the spelling right except you spelled David's name wrong. :lol: I cant believe no one else caught that.

msteve1014 - 2-19-2013 at 01:29 PM

Any where you want. Be carefull there too, off the road a few feet and you are in sand again

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

laguna manuela looks like interesting stop for camping. where do you camp at laguna manuela?

i see on google sat photo there is a fish camp(?) where main access road ends at ocean beach, and i see a broad rocky point west of the lagoon and fish camp.

[Edited on 2-19-2013 by msteve1014]

Curt63 - 2-19-2013 at 02:18 PM

Dont forget to bring 1 or 2 recovery straps for a local to pull you out of that that sand you may get stuck in.

MMc - 2-19-2013 at 08:12 PM

El Rosario to Santa Rosalillita, Two different places with different ways in. The area from El Rosario to Punta San Carlos along the Pacific can be very rough. This is where the "Rock Farmers" practice their trade. It's cliffy and the run outs to the sea are full of rocks. I love this place, very remote.
The Area above Santa Rosalillita is much easier access, more sand and more traffic on the roads. All the roads change whenever they get rain.

Clearance is the issue here, more so then a 4X4. Most locals don't have 4 wheel drive. They manage to live there ,your just passing through. Getting across the sand usually isn't that big a deal. Plenty of advice for that here and on this site. Also most camping is done on the hard pack, not the sand.

There are a lot of surfers using a truck and a pop-up camper. Another idea is a 1/2 ton van with a storage/living area built in. Very simple and light pack up your stuff and go easy to lock up while you are away.
If it just you and one other consider a small SUV(4runner, RAV, Explorer, trooper size)

Grab a AAA map and go!! If you don't have 4X4 walk the area in question and figure a way though it. If it's raining leave QUICK, that red mud is nasty with 2x. Also a come a-long and a good jack/shovel will get you anything else.
Remember the better the stuck, the better the story.

chuckie - 2-20-2013 at 07:38 AM

I have had em all at one time or another, and while not the ultimate, my present Baja "Events Wagon" is just what you are looking for. (mine is not for sale) I bought an AWD Astro Van, mine had been in its prior life an ambulance.. Has lots of custom cabinetry, HD everything, 37 Gallon fuel tank, room for sleeping...I paid 2200 bucks for it.....14-16 MPG

MMc - 2-20-2013 at 07:58 AM

Thinking about what to drive around Baja is interesting. There are those that bring a place to stay in, while others bring something to haul there stuff to where they are going. Living more inside or living more outside. Some a little of both.

Skipjack Joe - 2-20-2013 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The rocky point is El Morro. It has a series of pocket beaches that can be descended from the dirt road to the lighthouse. It takes 4WD to get up that road. The beaches have corbina and halibut at times. Beautiful country up there.

The northern part of the lagoon has been hit hard by the locals and has little to offer. They've built a small pier where the oyster farm had been and very little fish remain anywhere within walking distance of it. The locals fishing there will tell you how great it is but they don't know how it was just 20 years ago.

Camping there is a bit challenging. It's usually calm in the mornings and the wind grows steadily from noon. Stay in camper or a good tent during those hours.

Chuckie;

neilm81301 - 2-20-2013 at 04:26 PM

That's quite a steal. How is the ground clearance? The minivans I've seen and rented were a little low. I'd hate to take a rock through the pan, 50 miles from nowhere. AWD sounds like a good idea.

Neil

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I have had em all at one time or another, and while not the ultimate, my present Baja "Events Wagon" is just what you are looking for. (mine is not for sale) I bought an AWD Astro Van, mine had been in its prior life an ambulance.. Has lots of custom cabinetry, HD everything, 37 Gallon fuel tank, room for sleeping...I paid 2200 bucks for it.....14-16 MPG

MMc - 2-20-2013 at 04:38 PM

When I put a hole in mine, jacked up the car. Carved a piece of drift wood to fit the hole, pounded it in, a put silicone around it. Worked for 2 weeks, until the new pan arrived. I used a little gas to clean off the messy oil. My friend wanted to drive it home immediately but the surf was good. I used the excuse that we needed to see if it would leek before we left.
You'll see a lot of Astro vans driving in Baja.

El Jefe - 2-20-2013 at 04:42 PM

Explored and surfed that area for years in a ford van set up for camping. For me that was idel. It was a good place to get out of the wind to sleep, and had tons of room for all my camping stuff. A fold up awning and some shade cloth for a wind break and you are golden.

The van was two wheel drive, but I had a Dana limited slip rear end put in it so both rear wheels worked at once in the sand. With BFG tires and low pressure I could go anywhere I wanted, almost. No problem ever in that area.

As you have already seen, big vans are cheap. All you gotta do is add gasoline.

wilderone - 2-22-2013 at 11:49 AM

At El Rosario, you can go to Punta Baja. Camp on the point - keep right - you'll see some fine camping spots. It may be windy. If so, leave town about a mile or so heding back - keep on eye on the right for roads that head down the coast. They are graded, but may have a spot that requires minor road building. Very fine camping on the cliffs for miles. There is also a very nice road to Agua Blanca that leads to the fish camp there. It's a turnoff before you get to the turnoff to Punta Baja. You can explore north and south from there for a camp spot - the fish camp has a rocky shore.
At Laguna Manuela, you need to get up a very deep sand hill to the lighthouse (great camping right there); thereafter, there is a ridge road with several places to camp. I've been in a 2-WD car trying to get up that hill - 4 people pushed while being driven - coming down isn't a problem. One time, the sun was going down, the tide was in, no room at the gringo encampment with RVs - so we ended up camping in the middle of one of the arterial roads near the estuary. Fortunately no cars wanted to use that road during the night.
If El Tomatal has been dry for a couple weeks, you can drive right to the beach over a narrow high-ground access road. You'll see deep dried mud depressions - evidence of una problema if it is very wet.

redhilltown - 6-25-2013 at 11:53 PM

I'll second all the recommendations for a shovel and tow strap for this area...ya just never know. If you like your campfires, bring some wood as like the roads, it can be very hit and miss. The locals in some of the remote areas can be great...and if they have a fresh catch you can offer to buy some from them but the odds are they'll give it to you (or in exchange for some cold beer!).

David K - 6-26-2013 at 08:07 AM

Shovels and tow straps are all great and belong in a Baja vehicle, but how about not getting stuck in the first place?

If the sand crossing is short, by increasing your speed, the momentum may get you to the other side. If the sand crossing is endless (you can't see the other side), then DEFLATE your tires (all four) and move on across... avoid stopping if you are pointed uphill, or stop only when pointed downhill or on wet sand for the best way to get moving again.

Have no fear if you stop on level, dry sand... but removing more air and clearing away sand from in front of tires may be needed to get rolling easily. You must have a good dial style air gauge that reads below 10 psi and an electric air pump or other method to refill the tires once you are off the sand. 10 psi is a good place for most tires on a 2WD... however, I have been down to 7 psi in really bad sand stuck (3 ply sidewall, mud terrain style tires). Just do not turn sharply or brake suddenly when you are deflated.

Even 4WDs need to deflate on certain types of sand... such as the coarse sand, crushed shell beach of Shell Island:

Photos at the point I could go no further, fully loaded truck at 32 psi. Deflated to 15 psi and drove on, with ease... Floatation!

In 2010:

Works even on big, heavy motorhomes that tried 4WD and locking both differentials....

Just removed more air from the tires, and Art easily drove on down the 2 miles to our camp...

It is all about AIR PRESSURE in sand! :bounce:

In 2012:

36 psi Hankook Dynapros:

Deflated to 18 psi:

A deflated tire on a truck weighing thousands of pounds does not sink as deep as a footprint of a man weight a bit less than 1000 pounds, lol!

[Edited on 6-26-2013 by David K]

BooJumMan - 6-26-2013 at 04:56 PM

Too bad this area is now easily accessible with 2wd. The roads are all now graded and in good condition. Obviously after a rain, it could be sketchy. I remember some years where the rivers were full and would be 3-4ft deep.

Good camping, lots of open space to be alone. Locals here are awesome. They will usually just give you clams and lobster for some gas or beer as stated earlier.

Goes without saying, but is always good to reiterate... bury your business and pack out your TP cause its some great untouched lands. To me, and to many others, its a very special place.

woody with a view - 6-26-2013 at 05:36 PM

^^^yep!^^^

don't take it for granted....

MMc - 6-26-2013 at 07:46 PM

X2

mojo_norte - 6-26-2013 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Quote:

The rocky point is El Morro. It has a series of pocket beaches that can be descended from the dirt road to the lighthouse. It takes 4WD to get up that road. The beaches have corbina and halibut at times. Beautiful country up there.

The northern part of the lagoon has been hit hard by the locals and has little to offer. They've built a small pier where the oyster farm had been and very little fish remain anywhere within walking distance of it. The locals fishing there will tell you how great it is but they don't know how it was just 20 years ago.

Camping there is a bit challenging. It's usually calm in the mornings and the wind grows steadily from noon. Stay in camper or a good tent during those hours.

I checked this spot out a couple years ago. It's a bit of a drive - 10 miles ? from Jesus Maria and the bay at the fish camp was a bit of a grim mud flat I ended up back tracking north and finding a track up through the dunes to the beach a bit north of the bay - soft sandy tracks running along the beach- definitely 4x4. Definitely remote.

Sunman - 6-27-2013 at 09:24 AM

We camped at Laguna Manuela a couple of years ago, we found it to be a pleasant surprise...

We poked around a bit before we left but felt we barely scratched the surface...

chuckie - 6-27-2013 at 09:41 AM

I have a an Astro (Safari) with AWD..generally goes anywhere with low pressure. Important critical item in stuck box is a case of COLD pacifico. WHEN you get stuck, put out awning, set up camp chair. Sit under awning, with cold pacifico, look sad and distressed.:no:..If no one shows up to pull you out before the beer is gone???? Well...You'll figure it out..:yes:

David K - 6-27-2013 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman
We camped at Laguna Manuela a couple of years ago, we found it to be a pleasant surprise...

We poked around a bit before we left but felt we barely scratched the surface...

Great photos... it has been 30 years since I was last there, but it looks the same... There were sea lions down in one of those coves, beyond the lighthouse. We drove around to the long beach, north of the hill for some of the best surf fishing we ever had in Baja. The road to it was a couple miles east of Laguna Manuel camp. Whistler told me his friends called it 'Variety Beach'... We caught yellowfin croaker (boca dulce), corbina, halibut on the sand beach, and calico bass (by the rocks).

willardguy - 6-27-2013 at 04:43 PM

we were out there a couple months ago and thought it was pretty cool, how about putting a blowup boat in by the old shellfish processing plant and boating around the corner to fish it? or kayaks for you younger folks?

MMc - 6-27-2013 at 04:55 PM

I've been there plenty with a kayak and I can say there are no fish there or in the lagoon.

willardguy - 6-27-2013 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I've been there plenty with a kayak and I can say there are no fish there or in the lagoon.
david caught em all?:lol:

David K - 6-27-2013 at 05:08 PM

It was articles in WON (Western Outdoor News) by Tom Miller, Tom Miller's Baja fishing book, and then Tom and Shirley Miller's Mexico West newsletters that brought us down to Laguna Manuela in the late 70's and early 80's. Our first time there was a Mexico West Travel Club group camping party. Besides showing us Laguna Manuela, Tom Miller is also responsible for my selling my Jeep and buying a 4WD Subaru (in 1977)... It was great in the sand, even with those little 13" tires!

Skipjack Joe - 6-27-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc

The lagoon looks much the same as before but things have changed. There was (and still is) a depression you could walk to along the bank from the fish camp where I would hook a spotted bay bass on every cast for 2 consecutive hours. 80 fish. It was still like that in the early 90s. This winter we stopped there - 2 undersized bass. What happened? They built a small pier close to it and I saw a car drive up each day. Those fish don't move around very much. They may spend their entire lives on a 50 square meter patch of eelgrass. So the new fishing pressure probably did them in.

The interior of the lagoon is less accessible. I would expect the fishing to remain pretty good.

The beaches and rocky points below El Morro had a decent population of white sea bass at one time. I got spooled a couple of times while fishing for calicos. They're mostly gone now as well.

Variety beach is still pretty good but you need a good 4WD. The road in is deep sand. Just deflating your tires ain't gonna do it.