BajaNomad

I'M BACK!!!

M - 2-21-2013 at 03:31 AM

And not too happy about it either. Seems like every time I come back to CA, somebody(s) has some more annoying news...or...things I MUST TAKE CARE OF NOW!!!! More lawyer annoyances, more banking frustrations with the house and EX, and just too too much stress. I came back to pick up all my patio ceramic pottery (40 or so) that my Father had made for me over many years. beautiful and OBVIOUS sentimental value.
I had to clear them off the patio for the new owners. I entrusted them with a very close next door nieghbor who I BELIEVED was responsible and respected our close 10 year friendship. My mistake. I told her I was going to be here the 19th thru 22nd. I logged on to my old email account and found an email from her, from this morning, the 20th, that said.
"Michelle, you said you would be here on the 19th, TODAY is the 20th. I have people coming FRIDAY", (3 days away. Her 16 yr old SON was having the party, I DOUBT kids would even NOTICE the pots) She went on to say, "I needed to clean my patio so I loaded everything on the front sidewalk for the garbage man tomorrow, because I didn't know if you would be here". I have NEVER been irresponsible, or not done what I said I would do. I had planned to be there about 3PM today to pick up the pots, I didn't tell her what day, just within the 3 days I would be here. PLENTY of time before Friday.I didn't know how my time was going to work out. I could never DREAM she would do such an incredible hurtful thing, WHY book it that week? Next would be fine for a kid granted a party. HE at least is reasonable and would have gladly waited for me. Those kids loved me.
Watching me literally fade away to 104 lbs, with illness and stress, it was just incredible she would add too it in such a way. Well, I called her and of course was frantic, people pick up nice things left on the curb and these were a lifelong collection, made by my father, and being 80 yrs. I would never get more. This b*tch knew the emotional value to me. She had TONS of room in her garage, if her son was having the party, HE could have moved them to the garage for the 2 day window I told her I was getting them within the 3 days I would be here..
I WAS ASTOUND at the betrayel. I would NEVER have DREAMED she would even THINK of doing such a thing, let alone DOING it. She had SO many options. Even just setting on the lawn outside the patio. I grabbed my Mom and had an incredibly horrible, anxious drive over there and FREAKED OUT when the front street was empty. I banged on the door and it seems her and her daughter HUSTLED to put them back on the patio. About 10 are missing, of course only the best would have been taken. I yelled at her for being such a vicious, irresponsible friend and SHE YELLED AT ME! for not even saying 'Thank You' for keeping them for 9 days! Even her daughter was in disbelief and very embarrased for her Mom's behavior.

I told her, If rolls were reversed, and she entrusted such precious items with me, I would have cared for them with MY LIFE! These were the only memories I will have of my Father, she KNEW that,and she put them out as trash. I never missed any of her kids special occasions, or games, or Xmases...the betrayal was just too much to handle so soon after the biggest one of all recently. My Ex. That one was a biggie, but the whole visit here is just similar stuff; WTF's?????

There are MANY reasons for leaving CA. and the self-centered shallowness, disrespect and indifference to people. even long time dear friends and neighbors is too much. Already in Baja, outside of the big company's taking advantage of 'a stupid American gringa', people have been SO friendly, warm, very welcoming. It has softened and warmed my heart considerably... then, coming back to CA. and this, so familiar crap. Unexpected, out of nowhere devestation, leaving me stressed, sad, on constant ineffective guard and SO ready to get hell out of here.

Enough of that. I have a friend, Ralph Wiens who has listened to my tales, experienced similar O.C. cruelties and back biting and is fed up himself. He is SERIOUSLY wanting to move to Baja, but his only concern is his furniture and moving it there. I told him taxes, mover costs, etc, and he would be better off and buying new, but...he likes the stuff. I told him, take pictures, you can have it made for half the cost. I'm meeting him tomorrow to go over things, give him Nomads link and he may get on, identify as my friend and pick your brain. He is a great guy, in his late 70's (No worries Niel my love), and would fit in fine with our Nomad family. He's great natured, funny as all get out, and is an ocean lover, BIG TIME! He wants on the beach. Any advice and help will be very appreciated. He's also single, good looking and seeking for love of a good woman. He treats them VERY well. A gentleman to the core.

OK. Nother subject. I got direct TV, satelite. They should be installing 4 rooms for free. I was told, I HAD TO BUY the HD cable, the splitters etc. What I suspect the installers are doing is finding dupes like me to do just that, buy the stuff that is supposed to be included, then, they do swap-meets on weekends and sell the stuff the company provides for them to do the job they are paid to do.
ALSO! I was told, to get direct TV internet, I had to WAIT for them to GET PERMISSION from my next door nieghbor, to splice the wire going to their house.???? Well, why were THEY given direct TV internet, they had nobody to splice to. Again, I'm being screwed.

My nieghbors are using the home for vacations, God only knows when they will be back. AND, why would they agree? it will slow down their internet. I talked to my realtor and he said, WHAT??? we will try and help. WHO KNOWS how that will end, yet so far, they have handled every problem with the house in less than 2 hours from the call. To fix my hot water reaching my showers, the guy was there in 20 minutes. Fixed it and was out the door in 30 minutes. Cool.

Also, my MX cell phone is all in spanish. Granted, I had the salesman set it for english, but hello...the MENU is in english, the explanations, or descriptions, or next steps are all in spanish. Useless. I have to download an english manual, but, of course...no internet. ALSO this darn 'Moviestar' package service is using up all my minutes sending me promo texts I don't understand, but, something was important, because my 90 free minutes were used up in 9 days. How the heck do I stop the junk texts?

I need a savy mexican advocate to handle my affairs until I get my 'spaglish' back up to speed. True, don't use it, lose it.
Mindy's housekeeper Kony would be a good one. She knows the system, ins and outs.
I KNOW, I'm being taken on Mr Toads wild ride, too many times. Not even an 'E ticket' ride, but still, toooo wild for me at this stage of the game.

Also, what are the reports on Magic Jack? One friend down here swears by it, but, friends in the states are not happy with it. What's the baja scoop/experiences with it?

I'm just so desperate to get connected again, but cannot afford the $300 dollar installation options and $45 a month fees. Any good reports? I think it was Keri that told me of Telnor, but is it reliable? how much to install and get monthly service fees?

Did I mention, I'm 1/4 mile off the main Hwy. with all easy city services, AND POTABLE water from the tap? I am up in the hills, in "Terraza Del Mar" Neighborhood. It costs $40 to fill my, 'Peda', or cistern. I opened the trap door to it, just to peek...OOOO, easy to fit a body in there . CREEPY and it scares HELL out of me after all the news about that Canadian tourist found in the cistern water tank on the roof of this drug den hotel. She was floating in there for 2 WEEKS, while people were showering, drinlking the water, etc. They found her because tenants comlained the water presure was low. Of course, her body was blocking the uptake pipe. OOOOO 2 weeks, have you ever seen a water-logged 'floater'? working for a body bag manufacturer and coroner instrument supply company, I saw WAY more than I ever wanted to know or see. JEEZ! people were DRINKING THAT two week old 'tea'. NOT a good day to discover I had a cistern in my driveway. GREAT place for me to fall in or, hide a body. I have no close neighbors to hear even if I yelled my head off. Spooky. Darn news!
Ok dear ones, I must get to sleep, I'm drained. I have WAY to much stuff to do in just a day and a half left.

PLEASE, keep me up to speed and up to date with things I should know. I'll respond when I get hold of someones computer, but it always has to be short. This is my Moms PC, and they are in bed. And, so must I go too. It's 2:30AM. LOONG STRESSED DAY!
LUV AND BIG HUGS<
M
P.S.
Question, WHAT is normal hourly pay here for housekeeping and a service like I just described? I need to make a conversion chart. I know I can screw myself overpaying easily, I'm generous to begin with, however my EX has given me $300 since he left 6 months ago, and funds are TIGHT now.:?:

woody with a view - 2-21-2013 at 06:17 AM

"There are MANY reasons for leaving CA. and the self-centered shallowness, disrespect and indifference to people. even long time dear friends and neighbors is too much."

i'm sure your "lomgtime dear friends and neighbors" agree!

[Edited on 2-21-2013 by woody with a view]

motoged - 2-21-2013 at 08:50 AM

Wow....:o

Lots of victim drama here :O :?::?:

Yeah, I know...

M - 2-21-2013 at 09:21 AM

Too much drama, and I vented again, but, it's off my chest now, and was just another confirmation to remove ANY doubt why I moved. Orange County just sucks with 'self entitled' people. I guess since I moved, I became a 'safe' target for what must be her 'natural' behavior. She NEVER behaved like this. She used to be a very dear person, hence, I'm so freaked.
Very much looking forward to the castle, even though, it needs SO much work to unpack. Now, I'm looking forward to that horrible chore, lolol....
I'm home...
BIG HUGS,
M

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Wow....:o

Lots of victim drama here :O :?::?:

motoged - 2-21-2013 at 10:12 AM

M,
Many of us have suffered from time-to-time....it is always worse when I blame others for how my life goes.

It sounds like you are struggling with some losses, disappointments, and unwanted surprises along your way... what certainly makes outside circumstances seem worse than they are is the belief systems we apply that to explain such circumstances.

Be careful what you think....it could become your reality.

Perception is a slippery beast.

Bueno suerte con su casa y vida :saint:

Jeez

M - 2-21-2013 at 02:11 PM

OMG! I just blew some steam, it's over! There are 'No Mis-perceptions' of any kind! I entrusted, in her care, pots my FATHER had made for me for B.D's, Xmas Etc. She KNEW the importance of what I asked of her. She ASSURED me, they would be safe with her. I came in late the 19th. Because I didn't call her, the second I crossed the border, she put them on the street for trash, or pick ups. It was CRUEL, and out of nowhere. WHO needs THAT? I was indeed shocked, but no way see myself, 'A Victim'. I see her as a passive agressive, who should NEVER do that with her kids in the room. THEY knew how sick it was, and I feel sorry they were so embarassed and ashamed of her. Now, it was OVER IT, the second I posted yesterday...I got it off my chest, drop it please.
I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm open/honest about anything and everything. Some folk just need to change channels and quit reading my posts if they can't handle that. AND quit analyzing me.
I'm indeed happy with my life now, despite some struggles getting things set up, I'm in no any different from anybody else in my shoes. Frustration and steam over A-H's is allowed.
I'm off running again now...
Hugs,
M

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
M,
Many of us have suffered from time-to-time....it is always worse when I blame others for how my life goes.

It sounds like you are struggling with some losses, disappointments, and unwanted surprises along your way... what certainly makes outside circumstances seem worse than they are is the belief systems we apply that to explain such circumstances.

Be careful what you think....it could become your reality.

Perception is a slippery beast.

Bueno suerte con su casa y vida :saint:

BajaBlanca - 2-21-2013 at 05:44 PM

I thought that one could bring household stuff south. Just don't bring it all at once but anything used that is your personal stuff, should be allowed in, no sweat, and with no charges .... right ?

rts551 - 2-21-2013 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I thought that one could bring household stuff south. Just don't bring it all at once but anything used that is your personal stuff, should be allowed in, no sweat, and with no charges .... right ?

no. see other thread on rules.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65751

woody with a view - 2-22-2013 at 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
OMG! I just blew some steam, it's over! There are 'No Mis-perceptions' of any kind!

it's prolly just me, but maybe you could start a blog?:lol:

DENNIS - 2-22-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
it's prolly just me, but maybe you could start a blog?:lol:

:light::light::light::lol:

shari - 2-22-2013 at 09:04 AM

Oh man M, so sorry for your awful experiences NOB...totally sucks!

I have been thinking that my daughter Sirena may be able to help you with some of your troubles although she is in Sauzal..north Ensenada. She has a translating business and it completely bilingual and know her way around mexican "systems" and with just a phone call or email she can quickly help on some issues...she'd be a good person to have on speed dial. U2U me for her number.

About furniture, I love furniture hunting at the many segundas...it's more fun and easy and cheaper than new.

..take a deep breath and appreciate that you are on a new and exciting path full of wonder and joy!

SwissFrank - 2-22-2013 at 09:08 AM

That's really nice Shari! Would this be a free service?

shari - 2-22-2013 at 09:15 AM

Sirena is just starting this business....While I cant speak for her, I'm sure a phone call or two would be fine with her...but if it was me and someone was doing me a favour or kindness, I would repay it in kind....somehow.

I am alway helping people figure out their phones, how to pay bills etc...it is time consuming but generally people "repay" the favours one way or another.

SwissFrank - 2-22-2013 at 09:21 AM

Can she translate official documents that are required by Mex govt.?

shari - 2-22-2013 at 09:39 AM

generally yes....unless they demand a "legal" translator...which is rare.
She has done translations for publications in government journals, translated letters, book, websites and assists people with documents and can accompany you to offices to help make things go smoother with fewer misunderstandings.

Sometimes people who speak a little spanish get in more trouble as they think they understood something...but didnt! If an appointment is important, I highly recommend taking a spanish speaking person with you to make sure you understand.

SwissFrank - 2-22-2013 at 09:55 AM

Does she have any experience with pottery? Maybe she could throw "M" some pots.

Terry28 - 2-22-2013 at 10:01 AM

M, if you rant in public you have to expect comments..."Dems just the rules of the game"

greengoes - 2-22-2013 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SwissFrank
Can she translate official documents that are required by Mex govt.?

Officially translated documents (marriage license, birth certificate, etc) are only done by licensed translators approved by el gobierno. They also have the nicest selection of rubber stamps and raised foil seals I ever saw.

:lol::lol:

greengoes - 2-22-2013 at 10:41 AM

On a side note, Notarios are another family run scam with interesting aspects. Anytime you need to register something two Mexican nationals have to attest they know you and you are of good character.

They have people hanging around the office willing to do this for cincuenta pesos.

Me encanta este país.

Bajatripper - 2-23-2013 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
generally yes....unless they demand a "legal" translator...which is rare.

Things must work differently in your neck of Baja, Shari. Everything I "needed" translated for government officials when I registered my marriage (the marriage certificate, my birth certificate, the "apostillage") was required to be translated by an officially-recognized-by-the-government translater, or I'd have done it myself. I'm sure it is little more than a racket, with official translaters likely paying for government recognition so that they can cash in on foreigners who "need" those services. That isn't how it works where you are at?

Bajatripper - 2-23-2013 at 02:28 PM

M, while you may look with horror at your cisterna (also called an aljibe down in La Paz) buried in your front yard, those are something I would recommend to anyone who owns a house in Baja. In La Paz there are many days when we don't get water service, or at least, not enough pressure in the water line to push the vital fluid up onto the roof to fill the tinaco. However, there is usually enough water to fill up the cisterna since it is below ground level and gravity works its magic. Then, on the rare occasion when our tinaco runs dry (too many loads of laundry on a no-water day), we simply turn on the pump and re-fill it from the water resevoir below the ground. We never run out of water.

If it makes you uncomfortable having it because of what happened to that tourist in Canada, you could have an herrero make a grate to keep your body from being dropped into it. But you should be happy to have it, they can come in very handy (one doesn't realize how much one needs water UNTIL one runs out of it).

Good luck with your recent lifestyle change--and keep a journal, there's probably a book in it somewhere down the road, and you do like to write!

DENNIS - 2-23-2013 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
I'm sure it is little more than a racket, with official translaters likely paying for government recognition so that they can cash in on foreigners who "need" those services. That isn't how it works where you are at?
It's the real deal. I know a lady who took and finished the college curriculum for "Official Translator" earning her a Licenciatura as well as the title abbreviation before her name...Lic.Byitch.

[Edited on 2-23-2013 by DENNIS]

DianaT - 2-23-2013 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
I'm sure it is little more than a racket, with official translaters likely paying for government recognition so that they can cash in on foreigners who "need" those services. That isn't how it works where you are at?
It's the real deal. I know a lady who took and finished the college curriculum for "Official Translator" earning her a Licenciatura as well as the title abbreviation before her name...Lic.Byitch.

[Edited on 2-23-2013 by DENNIS]

Yes, a friend of my sister's completed her curriculum to become an official translator--- she said it was not easy!

Since Sirena is in Ensenada, maybe she should check into becoming an official translator. It should be easier for her since she is already bilingual. Then she could set up shop and be official.

And all those pretty gold seals cannot hold a candle to the official gold foil seal used by the State of California --- we hated to give it up when we needed it for a power of attorney in Mexico!

Edited to get out of the quote box. :-)

[Edited on 2-23-2013 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca - 2-23-2013 at 03:23 PM

great that Sirena has started this business ! what a grand idea and how lucky her clients will be ! I personally hope she starts charging something .... she well deserves it.