BajaNomad

No Passport! What Now?

BonzoBaja - 2-21-2013 at 08:33 AM

Hey guys, as you know, I posted a question about Puerto Santo Tomas, thanks for the response! I contacted Sam, and all is well. My problem is my friend and I want to take our sons to PST for a short trip at Spring Break, and my friend doesn't have a passport(his son does, though). I know he doesn't have enough time to get a passport, so what other alternatives does he have? I've heard of some type of "card" that lets you cross into Canada/Mexico, is that true? How do you get it?
Thanks ahead of time!

Ateo - 2-21-2013 at 08:41 AM

I think he could put a rush on the passport maybe? My last passport arrived in like 3 weeks.

My friend came back northbound with only a drivers license recently.

mcfez - 2-21-2013 at 09:11 AM

Ateo is right.
I did this before...was about $180
Simply go to Google......enter "overnight passport".....

Here's a example:
http://www.overnightpassport.com/

rts551 - 2-21-2013 at 09:39 AM

check the homeland security web site. you can return with proper ID including a drivers license and birth certificate

David K - 2-21-2013 at 09:58 AM

They can't keep you from returning to your own country... a passport or passport card just makes proving that easier. The old birth certificate and photo ID still works fine, and many have returned with just a driver's license.

sancho - 2-21-2013 at 11:49 AM

As posted you can drive down and come back without
a Passport. Passcard, etc. A DL is accepted by US
Customs, not preferred, but accepted. The only
problem I see, is IF you want to be legal and
abide by Mex Imm Regs, that is everyone get an fmm/
tourist card at the border. They have in the recent
past issued free 6 nt 7 day fmm's, Mex Imm wants
to see a Passport/ Passcard to issue an fmm, haven't
herad of anyone in the last few yrs. trying for
a tourist card with a birth cert, not 100% certain though, not recommending it, but many Baja visitors travel further
than Santo Tomas, at least the driver should get one

mtgoat666 - 2-21-2013 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BonzoBaja
Hey guys, as you know, I posted a question about Puerto Santo Tomas, thanks for the response! I contacted Sam, and all is well. My problem is my friend and I want to take our sons to PST for a short trip at Spring Break, and my friend doesn't have a passport(his son does, though). I know he doesn't have enough time to get a passport, so what other alternatives does he have? I've heard of some type of "card" that lets you cross into Canada/Mexico, is that true? How do you get it?
Thanks ahead of time!

pay an expedite fee and get passport in about 72 hours. instructions are on dept of state website. passport card takes same amount of time to obtain as passport.

BajaBlanca - 2-21-2013 at 05:37 PM

your main concern is not returning to the states - with DL or birth certificate and some patience - easily done.

what cant be done is getting into Mexico with a visa ... you must have a valid passport to get the visa.

BajaNomad - 2-21-2013 at 05:59 PM

What circumstances would perhaps be an issue for an American in BCN if they had no FMM and were south of Ensenada?

Wiles - 2-21-2013 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
check the homeland security web site. you can return with proper ID including a drivers license and birth certificate

DENNIS - 2-21-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
What circumstances would perhaps be an issue for an American in BCN if they had no FMM and were south of Ensenada?

More than likely nothing, assuming a proper attitude. One would be at their mercy however, but I've never heard any horror stories with this scenario.
Being a driver would make one more at risk with all agencies if a car wreck were an issue, and then, barring injury, probably a money fix would be ordered.

Lemme add.......immigration has practically no agents outside their own offices. Having a confrontation with one is almost impossible without searching them out.

[Edited on 2-22-2013 by DENNIS]