BajaNomad

Bahia Asunción Gets An Ambulance

DavidE - 2-21-2013 at 12:34 PM

Absolutely brand-new, made in Monterrey E-150. A present from the BCS governor is the chisme. Unit is for SEGURO POPULAR.

Looked inside, it has a brand-new defibrillator. "Zoll" manufacture.

Will be based at the "Delegación" (Police Department)

Governor is supposed to arrive Monday to dedicate the unit at the Cooperativa California.

A step in the right direction IMHO.

DENNIS - 2-21-2013 at 12:39 PM

Isn't that nice? Wonder how much they'll charge for an "E-ticket" ride to the border?

DavidE - 2-21-2013 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Isn't that nice? Wonder how much they'll charge for an "E-ticket" ride to the border?

For this ride, the "border" seems to be the Seguro Popular facility in Sta Rosalia.

BajaGringo - 2-21-2013 at 12:54 PM

That is wonderful news for Bahia Asuncion!

dirtbikr - 2-21-2013 at 12:54 PM

Is there a doctor in asunsion?

rts551 - 2-21-2013 at 12:59 PM

did the same for Punta Abreojos..visiting same time frame as well.

DavidE - 2-21-2013 at 12:59 PM

dirtbikr,

Yes.

And remember for emergencies, the IMSS facility will treat to stabilize an emergency case.

sd - 2-21-2013 at 02:37 PM

Educate me please. If I am traveling in Baja and need emergency care, or perhaps this ambulance service, what is the cost? I am a US Citizen.

How is payment handled? My health plan covers me on some things, will providers in Baja wait for payment or is payment expected at time of service?

Thanks!

DENNIS - 2-21-2013 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
Educate me please. If I am traveling in Baja and need emergency care, or perhaps this ambulance service, what is the cost? I am a US Citizen.

How is payment handled? My health plan covers me on some things, will providers in Baja wait for payment or is payment expected at time of service?

Thanks!

Maybe nothing if they stay in their area. I was taken from here, Punta Banda, into Ensenada in the local ambulance and they wouldn't even let me buy them lunch.

On the other hand, a private ambulance service charged me 1600 bucks to take me from Ensenada to the border.
Waddayagonnado?

DavidE - 2-21-2013 at 04:17 PM

If you are in imminent danger, like bleeding, unconscious, compound fracture, they meaning the medical community will treat in order to STABILIZE then ship you off to PAY facilities. Example I cut a thumb on a lid of a peach can. They "stabilized" me by sewing it up. So no further treatment was necessary. If a person has a heart attack, doctors will treat enough to allow reasonably safe transfer to a hospital, gratis. Whether the ambulance is "free" or not is a crap shoot.

Show up at an emergency room with an obviously serious problem and BAM no waiting even though there might be 100 people in the waiting room. If a person has coverage in the states it with no exceptions whatsoever be "better" to go to the states, AFTER being STABILIZED in a hospital in Mexico.

From personal experience, at the San Ysidro crossing, I was transferred from a Mexican ambulance to a US ambulance within 60 seconds. One flash of my passport at a US Customs Agent while the gurney was in motion and that was it. The fastest entry I have ever made. Sixty seconds flat.

I carry a translated medical document that explains in Spanish medical lingo exactly what my ills consist of what Rx's are currently in use. I just went through a very severe anaphalactic reaction to a NSAID that I had used in the 1990's for many years*. Doctors here in Asuncion were ready to do a tracheotomy if the IV antihistamine did not begin working within seconds. These folks did not screw around. My Spanish helped, even though I had to croak it out of a severely restricted windpipe. The reaction was so severe I ended up with peeling skin a day later with severe itching. This was most likely a life threatening event. I would not have made it without correct treatment. Never say never when it comes to accidents or sudden medical crisis. Stuff happens and it happens fast.

A doctor in Vizcaino had Rx'd it for me a few days earlier.

Russ - 2-21-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtbikr
Is there a doctor in asunsion?

Heck is there a doctor in Santa Rosalia?
Maybe

rts551 - 2-21-2013 at 04:47 PM

For us we are supposed to pay at time of service. My experience has been that for minor things they do it for free including medicine.

An ambulance from Loreto to Constitution for my son (broken arm requiring surgery) cost me 1700 pesos. Doctor in Loreto 26000 pesos. Insurance in the states reimbursed me later.

sd - 2-21-2013 at 05:31 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

It's good to know what to expect.

DianaT - 2-21-2013 at 07:46 PM

I hope the governor is not flying to Asuncion --- I hope he is driving.

Ateo - 2-21-2013 at 08:00 PM

I'm really stoked to hear BA and Abre are each getting an ambulance. This will really help many people and save lives!!!

rts551 - 2-21-2013 at 08:07 PM

I wonder Diana since he is also going to Abreojos and La Bocana

DianaT - 2-21-2013 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I wonder Diana since he is also going to Abreojos and La Bocana

Dang --- he will probably fly. It would be good for all the officials to drive that crater part of the "paved" road out of Vizcaino; it won't be very good for their brand new ambulance.

shari - 2-22-2013 at 09:22 AM

this is a wonderful addition to the community for sure. Yes we have both a hospital with an emergency "ward" and a health clinic...but no SEguro Popular facility...you have to go to Sta.Rosalia or Vizcaino for some things.

The governor prolly wont drive in...he usually flies...crap....that potholed part of the road is nasty indeed.

redmesa - 2-22-2013 at 11:54 AM

This is wonderful news and I admire it everyday as I walk by but yest we become to complacent..
Several year ago my husband went into the local clinic very ill and was sent home with a humidifier for gripa not accepting this I drove him to Loreto for a flight home.
He was in fact in a very serious congestive heart condition which was diagnosed in emergency by a nurse in Canada where he was immediately put in ICU.
What has happened to us here makes me think that many medicos want things to be nonemergencies and be treated with fairly primitive methods. This in no way makes me love the place less but reminds me that we have to take responsibility for our health and have our own plans in place as much as possible.

DavidE - 2-22-2013 at 01:11 PM

What irritates me is that the competency level of the average MD in the USA (I am ignorant about Canada) has PLUMMETED in the last thirty years.

An RN in a MEDICAL CENTER in the USA happened to quip to me as I signed the discharge papers "Oh by the way do you know you are severely anemic?" How anemic? One single point above the level where a blood transfusion is mandatory.

JESUS H CHRIST! I underwent THREE DAYS of cardiac studies to find the cause of pains mimicking Angina Pectoris. Radioneuclioide stress, sonograms, the whole ball of wax, including IV's, medications, and a fistful of Rx's.

I departed the hospital, went to an el cheapo grocery outlet, purchased iron tablets, vitamin B-12, and Folic Acid. Three days later for the 1st time in four years I was chest pain free. The idiots were trying to kill me with hazardous medications. Anemia means a deficit in red blood cells WHICH CARRY OXYGEN TO THE HEART MUSCLE. I wadded up the Rx's and threw them into a trash can. No meaning ZERO "angina pectoris" symtoms.

Do I have "confidence" in the "superior" high-tech USA "medical center grade" treatment? After having undergone AT LEAST A DOZEN LAB TESTS and appointments?

You MUST be jesting.

SiReNiTa - 2-24-2013 at 11:34 AM

This is huge!!!! To have an equipped ambulance will no doubt save many lives...great to hear ^_^