BajaNomad

FISHING LIC. AND BOAT PERMIT CHECK

jadams - 2-21-2013 at 05:11 PM

On wednesday afternoon(feb 20) enroute to town from campo, on the Puertecitos road by Lugana Perebu we
stopped at a check point by men in blue uniforms who told us that hey were with the dept. of fish and wildlife and asked if we had been fishing and told them no, they told us that they were checking for fishing license and boat permits.
They lookid car and I'm glad that I left fishing stuff at campo.

this is new to me

Government at work

bajaguy - 2-21-2013 at 05:16 PM

Just doing their job

BajaWarrior - 2-21-2013 at 05:33 PM

I thought they did away with the boat permits?

How about shore fishing, in the past a license was not needed for this, only from a boat. Did things change when I last blinked?

Pompano - 2-22-2013 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
I thought they did away with the boat permits?

How about shore fishing, in the past a license was not needed for this, only from a boat. Did things change when I last blinked?

My translated 2012-2013 Mexican Fishing Regs from CONAPESCA/Oficina de Pesca in San Diego says this:

"When operating a boat that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid fishing license for everydody aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not. A fishing license is not required when fishing from land."

CONAPESCA
Oficina de Pesca
2550 Fifth Avenue #15
San Diego, Ca. 92103
(619) 233-4324 Fax (619) 233-0344
www.conapescasandiego.org

[Edited on 2-22-2013 by Pompano]

Boat permits?!

mcfez - 2-22-2013 at 02:04 PM

No no! Permits are not required unless you are operating a commercial boat.....and there are other requirements too.....but not for the private fisherman. You do need current fishing tags.

Were these men in a official car........badges perhaps.....some form of obvious I.D.? I have to say that location is rather strange to be checked on...out of the blue.

No fishing license and in a boat.......they can take your gear and boat away.

So the big question here is this: did you catch anything?

Bob and Susan - 2-22-2013 at 03:07 PM

this check is normal...

they are trying to stop poaching

you were probably on a road used by local fishermen

[Edited on 2-22-2013 by Bob and Susan]

gnukid - 2-22-2013 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
No no! Permits are not required unless you are operating a commercial boat.....and there are other requirements too.....but not for the private fisherman. You do need current fishing tags.

Were these men in a official car........badges perhaps.....some form of obvious I.D.? I have to say that location is rather strange to be checked on...out of the blue.

The requirement for fishing license for everyone if there is a pole is if the boat is in the water, out of the water with gear you would only need one fishing license to demonstrate complying with the law and one would have to be below fishing limits per licencees.

Also I don't know but I am not sure the law applies equally to Mexicans and Americans, for example no Mexicans I know have licenses. Are Mexicans required to have a fishing license for sport fishing?

sancho - 2-22-2013 at 04:05 PM

Remember reading someone shore fishing around
Erendria (sp), so. of Ensenada 70 mi. or so, were asked
by some village official, for a license. I'm sure one
can run into Officials who don't know the regs

jadams - 2-22-2013 at 05:29 PM

they were in gray pickups and there was a humvee and 2 guys in army uniformsn. they had name tags on the blue shirts, looked like navy type uniforms, spoke good english and wre polite. checked out vehilcle, when asked told me they were looking for fishing gear.\
The fishing opn monday in gonzaga was good

mcfez - 2-22-2013 at 05:30 PM

Sorry gnukid......what I was trying to say is that the commercial guys need permits to operate their boats .......I wasnt clear

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

The requirement for fishing license for everyone if there is a pole is if the boat is in the water, out of the water with gear you would only need one fishing license to demonstrate complying with the law and one would have to be below fishing limits per licencees.

Also I don't know but I am not sure the law applies equally to Mexicans and Americans, for example no Mexicans I know have licenses. Are Mexicans required to have a fishing license for sport fishing?

jadams - 2-22-2013 at 05:32 PM

ps saw a whale shark in baha willard

gnukid - 2-22-2013 at 09:50 PM

I hear there are whale shark in La Paz now... But of course they follow their food so who knows about tomorrow.

Alan - 2-22-2013 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
I hear there are whale shark in La Paz now... But of course they follow their food so who knows about tomorrow.
Went and swam with it last week. That's one more off the bucket list.

Pescador - 2-23-2013 at 08:16 AM

Quote:

Yes, if a Mexican citizen is sport fishing, he or she is required to have a sport fishing license. When the Governor's Cup tournaments were being held, all entrants had to either buy or show their license. Commercial fisherman are supposed to have a permit issued by the CONAPESCA that is usually done through a Co-op but I do know individuals with a commercial license. Commercial fisherman do have to report catches that should coincide with the report filed through the wholesaler.

That being said, there is sort of an unoffical position to not look too hard at the local fishermen in terms of licenses. This job mostly falls on the military to enforce as most of the PESCA offices do not have
enforcement personel.

shari - 2-23-2013 at 03:05 PM

commercial fishermen DO require sport fishing licenses when sport fishing. Remember, if you take someone fishing in your boat and they dont have a license, YOU get nailed for the fine not the angler....it is the boat owners responsibility to make sure all anglers have their licenses.