BajaNomad

Trouble Brewing at SCORE SF250

TMW - 2-23-2013 at 11:29 AM

All because of this.

Original Message -----
To: dominiccnv@aol.com
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:42 AM
Subject: SCORE Official Race Fuels ALERT 2.22.13

SCORE Racer Services Contact: Jessica Armstrong, hjarmstrong@score-international.com
February 22, 2013
Amber Racing Services' VP, F&L racing fuel exclusive
sales part of SCORE's new integrated racer services
SAN DIEGO--SCORE International's Roger Norman announced today that VP and F&L racing fuels will be the exclusive fuels of racers of next month's MasterCraft Safety Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250. These two top racing fuel brands will be offered at competitive prices only through Southern California-based Amber Racing Services, recently named the “Official Race Fuel provider” for both the SCORE International and High Desert Racing Association series in 2013.
The opening event of the 40th SCORE desert racing season and the three-race 2013 SCORE Desert Series, race day is Saturday, March 9, in San Felipe, Mexico.
“It is the mission of SCORE and HDRA to create the best possible pre-race and race experience for our racers and their crews. This partnership with Amber Racing Services will help that,” said Norman. “I believe Amber provides the racing industry access to the best racing fuel brands like VP and F&L and a reliable, high-quality delivery service.”
“ARS is an experienced and stand-up company that reached out to SCORE and HDRA because they share our vision and commitment to furthering the sport of desert racing,” he said. The new race fuel program is part of Norman's goal to provide a streamlined and integrated approach to racing for racers and crew, not only with online registration and payment, but also online membership, fuel and transponder purchasing, and online pit services information; with lodging information and more to be integrated in the future.
“Sunoco Race Fuels will not be a part of the race fuel programs as previously announced,” said ARS General Manager Brian Busby. “ARS is disappointed that Sunoco did not agree at this time to participate in the vision that SCORE and HDRA are moving toward, but we are committed to the racers and engine builders whose vehicles may currently be tuned to Sunoco products and may have concerns or tuning questions. I will personally make sure every racer is attended to.”
As part of the agreement made between SCORE, HDRA and Amber Racing Services, which includes the $25,000 provided by ARS toward the total bonus-point prize purse for the inaugural World Championship of Desert Racing, all fuel purchases to race in SCORE and HDRA races must be made exclusively through the ARS company. Sunoco or any other fuels not purchased from ARS through the SCORE website will not be allowed in vehicles competing in the MasterCraft Safety Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250 race.
The fuel purchase process is fast, easy and entirely available online and includes the option to purchase and have fuel delivered for pre-running. Las Vegas' Rob MacCachren, 2011 and 2012 SCORE San Felipe 250 overall winner was one of the first racers to order fuel through the SCORE website, commenting afterwards, “This new SCORE system for ordering fuel online was easy to do and I completed my order within minutes.”
Purchase of fuel is linked by clicking the link provided on the homepage of the SCORE website at www.score-international.com or accessing the fuels sales portal directly athttp://www.regonline.com/ARS_fuelsales.
For product or technical questions, contact Brian Busby at (949) 870-5773 or via email at brian@racefuel.com. To speak directly with Amber Racing Services, please call Cristy Chavez at (562) 432-3946.

ncampion - 2-23-2013 at 12:21 PM

WOW, they are going to tell you what kind of gas you can use?? How about Pemex???

David K - 2-23-2013 at 01:36 PM

Haven't seen any 110 octane Pemex recently... (just kidding). There certainly must be classes that still used commercial octane fuel (87 or 91)?

tunaeater - 2-23-2013 at 11:22 PM

How are they going to monitor all the pits? A lot of bikes and quads run pump gas

BajaNomad - 2-24-2013 at 09:31 AM

In the mid-90's we met with Sal and Danny Cau in San Diego to discuss a similar exclusive arrangement with TRICK to benefit SCORE. In the end, we probably weren't talking about enough $ for them - as there were competitors throwing money around at the time that thought the market was going to be more lucrative for them. I would assume that's why so many brands were only there for a while until they figured out the reality. The off-road racing market is especially interesting, as many of the vehicles don't need 112 RON automotive motor fuel.

TMW - 2-24-2013 at 11:09 AM

Roger Norman clarifies the fuel issue.

It only concerns race fuel. Pump gas can be used by anyone. The prices on the SCORE website are prices delivered in San Felipe. It includes a 3.25% credit card fee. People can call ARS direct and get 30 days to pay by check. The website is just for ease of use. Sunoco is only interested in being the Spec Fuel like Nascar and every other big series and that's it. I don't believe it would be a good idea to do that at this time. F&L and VP are willing to let Sunoco in as an official fuel for all HDRA and SCORE. The ARS deal is only good for a year so I don't see them screwing it up. If everything is posted on the website then the prices are going to stay fare. It's always the top guys that get sponsored and everyone else pays a higher price. If there is one distributor the prices will go down because they will be hauling fuel much more efficiently. ARS has sponsored all 8 of our National TV shows and $25k in prize money. We are working on world wide distribution at this time for the all the shows. I believe Sunoco is subsidizing the price to try to get the entire market. I do not know if or when we would go to a spec fuel but Sunoco is a powerhouse and could easily squeeze out the competition. What people don't know is that race fuel in Baja is charged an 11%IVA Tax. It is also charged a duty and brokerage fee. So the fees are around $3.50 per gallon. Then you have transport, labor and accommodations on top. Oscar is going to verify these brokerage, duty and tax numbers on Monday.

Cheers,

Roger

willardguy - 2-24-2013 at 11:25 AM

I'd like to hear sunoco's official response to this. does it seem odd roger would spring this just a couple weeks before his inaugural race? :?: