BajaNomad

Passing on the Stoke, Let's Go! You Can sleep When you're Dead!

shari - 2-24-2013 at 11:08 AM

great trip kids...loved the photos...the panga you went on called Sirenita was named after my daughter...lucky boat!!! looks like a wonderful family holiday!

BajaNomad - 2-24-2013 at 11:14 AM

Great report Jorge. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
The desert would not be the desert without eccentrics.

TRUTH!

:lol:

acadist - 2-24-2013 at 11:20 AM

Looks fun!!!

Ateo - 2-24-2013 at 11:21 AM

THAT WAS A GREAT TRIP AND REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for taking the time to bring us along.

Pompano - 2-24-2013 at 11:22 AM

Now that looks like a LOT OF GREAT BAJA TIME!

Kudos, George! You're having way too much fun...as usual!

The clock is ticking. Time to get my burro down to Baja again.

See you there or Up North.

oladulce - 2-24-2013 at 11:33 AM

Really nice write up and pictures - your post captures the fun of the trip.

woody with a view - 2-24-2013 at 11:56 AM

living the dream, ceremoniously, of course!!!:light:

bajajudy - 2-24-2013 at 04:11 PM

What lucky young men!
They look like they fit right in.
Thanks for sharing your excellent adventure.

Curt63 - 2-24-2013 at 04:19 PM

Looks like a bunch of happy campers. Happy for you!

Bajaboy - 2-24-2013 at 04:20 PM

Good stuff and wonderful beer philosophy if I don't say so myself.

DianaT - 2-24-2013 at 04:31 PM

Very nice --- :yes:

David K - 2-24-2013 at 05:07 PM

Perfect... wish all teenagers could get some Baja time in before adulthood takes them. It well could save them down the road, to know there is a happier place that isn't too hard to get to!

Hook - 2-24-2013 at 05:17 PM

Good on ya, man, for leading them away from the Dark Side (spinning reels). A man who LEARNS to cast a conventional reel will never look back.

Boy, have we eaten our share of sauteed chard this year. Stuff never seems to go to seed.

BornFisher - 2-24-2013 at 07:36 PM

So cool to fire up the adventure in those young men! A trip to remember for sure!
BTW, love the kayak anchor!!
Thanks for the great report and pics!!

Kgryfon - 2-24-2013 at 09:15 PM

Nice! Great photos!

bacquito - 2-24-2013 at 09:33 PM

Thanks for sharing-looks like you had a great time.

durrelllrobert - 2-25-2013 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Rebecca’s boys, Wyatt and Sammy, 20 and 18 years old finally had simultaneous days off from school. They turned the 4 day weekend into a 5 day weekend arranging for an extra day off pre trip. Becky had long wanted to take the boys camping into Baja and especially wanted to share whale watching in the lagoons of Baja with them. We had our chance.

It was nice having two young men to help load the Baja Rig. We left San Clemente at 3 am. In one hour we were at the new border crossing into Mexico. We were packed in back and they sent us to secondary. They made us unload; instructing us all would have to come out. OK, so be it.

Halfway through the unpacking and inspection they found our spear guns. The little Tulacachangas working the border were so excited. We were busted. They brought over the military guys. They showed them the spear guns. They discovered spear guns were legal in Mexico. Their disappointment was palpable and they soon lost interest and said ok, enough, “You can go.” Our firewood was safely tucked away up front. They never got that far. Boys, that is a lesson.

We stopped in Ensenada, used the ATM to get some pesos. Passed some bike riders. Wyatt and Sammy are bike riders. We agreed not our idea of fun, to each his own, and south we went.

Next stop was Catavina. We always stop in Catavina on the way down to buy Tecates in cans. Later they might be useful.
I introduced the boys to J.D. Rock A Fellow, brother to Marilyn Monroe and author of such famous songs as “Stop In the Name of Love.” The boys chatted it up with JD, enjoying every minute of the conversation. The desert would not be the desert without eccentrics.

As we were leaving San Clemente neighbors John and Seth B pulled in. Small world moment. They were on their way to John’s casa in Lomitas de Los Gabachos. South we go.

We hit the dirt early afternoon. Gave the boys the tire pressure guage, instructions to take em down to 30psi and I popped the ceremonial first Tecate. Boys reported back with task completed, they got their first ceremonial Tecate in a can. The first ceremonial beer in Mexico is drank when airing down on the first dirt. Lesson.

We arrived at camp with time to unload and play. It was flat so the kayak came down first. Wyatt and Sammy wasted no time and off they went.

Becky and I unloaded, organized camp and walked the beach enjoying the sunset.

Our only neighbors, camped 100 meters west, were watching the sunrise too and shared poses of delight.

Sun goes down, we light the fire, make our supper of fresh home grown chard, kale and spinach sauteed with shallots, garlic and butter. Add potaotes and yams roasted over the fire with grilled venison and elk loin and the day was complete.

After supper we enjoyed the campfire, the sounds of the ocean and some well deserved Stone IPA and Pale Ales. Tecates are ceremonial, good beer is religion. :lol:

Thus ended Day 1 of Wyatt's and Sammy's Days Off.

Day 2 brought flat surf.

We surfed fish.

Teaching Wyatt to surf cast with a conventional reel.

Small Surf but the young men went out anyways.

Sammy, Toes on the Nose.

Camp on a Point

Bocci in the tidal zone and later the sunset game

After supper we choose our soldiers for the Scorpion War

We secure the perimeter and call it a night.

Day 3 we are off to see the whales at Ej. Benitos Juarez with Tony on Sirenita.

Hunderds of whales in the lagoon. Whales everywhere. Sammy and Wyatt are able to touch the whales. Mom is so happy. Great weather, great day.

Day 4 the surf came up a little.

Even big enough to push an old fat guy

Later the boys went spearfishing

Goofing off as usual: Titanic re-enactment

A littel bouldering was done also.

Guillaume and Nico join us for Pétanque, a game invented in France we know as Bocci ball. They kicked our arses and said, "Of course we won. It is our game."

Later Nico played French and Spanish music on his guitar while we prepared and ate fresh fish , elk tenderloins and lots of veggies. around the campfire.

Silly group shot, happy campers

Day five we drive home. Stop at Cataviña.

Last stop of day is at E; Trailero for tacos. Boys scarfed!
Pouring rain at the border, only 3 cars ahead of us. Life is good. Wyatt and Sammy are now planning their own adventures in baja. They have been bitten by the Baja bug.
My fault.
The third photo with the bikes was taken on the road to La Buffadora. Did you take the boys to the blow hole?

durrelllrobert - 2-26-2013 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
The third photo with the bikes was taken on the road to La Buffadora. Did you take the boys to the blow hole?

That photo was taken south of San Quintin, near Rancho Las Parras.

Last time I was on the road to la Bufadora was to go fishing with Fred. We had some good days calico fishing between the blowhole and Soledad on that pos tin boat of his. That was few years back. Time flies don't it?

Sorry, I should have said it LOOKS LIKE it was taken...
The caption above it said "We stopped in Ensenada, used the ATM to get some pesos. Passed some bike riders."
plus it looks like the section of road they just redid.
PS: Fred still has that boat but it hasn't been out for at least 5 years as far as I know.

Udo - 2-26-2013 at 05:37 PM

What a great trip report and accompanying photos.

That is why we have taken our kids to many Baja trips just so they get the "BAJA FEELING".

However, your photos really paint a sanctuary-like Baja, which is what the Baja life is all about.

One just can't duplicate that in the US.

Thanks for sharing!!!

AmoPescar - 2-26-2013 at 06:44 PM

GREAT PHOTOS!!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey with us....the scenery, food and fun looks great!

Miguelamo :yes: :bounce: :yes: :tumble: :yes:

Mexitron - 2-26-2013 at 08:09 PM

Awesome! Great report, thanks for sharing. Cada vez estamos a esta punta las olas estan poquito tombien...no sais porque!