BajaNomad

Mexico Unveils New 1,000 Pesos Bill

JESSE - 11-5-2004 at 04:28 PM

Its here, so get to know it:

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/business/10...

JESSE - 11-5-2004 at 04:41 PM

aldosalato - 11-5-2004 at 06:25 PM

Almost time to do it!
Last month I changed 10,000 dollars at the bank and had to walk away with a bag full of 100 Pesos bills..............

Bruce R Leech - 11-5-2004 at 06:49 PM

Be careful walking around with that kind of money here it is vary dangerous. we got robed right out side the bank here.

Bruce R Leech Mulege Baja

I thought that

jrbaja - 11-5-2004 at 07:09 PM

you were the bank there.:lol:

aldosalato - 11-5-2004 at 07:30 PM

not a problem in La Paz..........yet

Jesse

Baja Bernie - 11-5-2004 at 07:38 PM

I remember when four pesos were worth one dollar US. Now a one thousand Peso note is worth about $87.00. Something wrong here.
I'm sure you do not remember when the Germans were using wheelbarrows loaded with their money to buy a loaf of bread.
At least in this poorly run US I can still buy bread for 25 pesos.
Us gringos must be doing something wrong because we can still wander south and drop a few hundred bucks into your economy and still enjoy ourselves without worry about the money we spend.
Your Federal Government is doing the same thing to Baja as ours is doing to Alta California--taxes flow out but seldom back to those who pay them.
Saludos, Mi young amigo.

Bruce R Leech - 11-5-2004 at 07:54 PM

I remember when 3500 Pesos were worth one dollar . Is all relative Mexico is on a Dollar based economy, but they will never admit it.

Bruce R Leech Mulege Baja

BRuce

Baja Bernie - 11-5-2004 at 07:56 PM

Come on! 3500 Pesos to the dollar--I would have been buying.

David K - 11-5-2004 at 08:58 PM

When we started going to Mexico the peso was fixed to the American dollar. The rate for years was 12.50 pesos: 1 dollar. When Echeveria (?) detached the peso from the U.S. dollar is when the rate started to climb. Then when Salinas (?) devalued the peso it went from (using the example above) 350 to 3,500 to the dollar.

A few years ago, they moved the decimal point and renamed the money Peso Nuevo... It got a little stronger since.

So, today's 11 pesos per dollar is really 1,100 old pesos, I believe.

The last devaluation in the early 90's

Tucker - 11-5-2004 at 09:06 PM

Moved the decimal point three places to the left, when the dust settled the rate was around 3 pesos to the dollar. Previous to that, the dollar was worth more than 3,000 pesos.

Ending up with

jrbaja - 11-6-2004 at 10:06 AM

a big bag of those old pesos back when they moved the decimal point, I sorta got stuck.
But, we sailed down to Ensenada to tow a boat back and I took this bag with me.:light:
When the papewrwork for the boat was being done, the crew went out for some entertainment.
I don't remember the name of the bar but, I was able to trade the whole bag for 4 grande Margueritas!
For those of you who still have bags of these things, the bar is across from 3 head park when you arrive, and 6 head park when you leave:lol::lol:

Tucker is correct

BajaRob - 11-6-2004 at 10:43 AM

circa 1989 in La Paz the exchange rate was over 3700 to 1. Circa 1999 in San Quintin was 3 to 1. Rob

aldosalato - 11-6-2004 at 01:51 PM

Really many of you have not been paying attention to what has been going on in Mexico and in US in past few years...............
Again please read numbers and statistics.
There is still a lot of road to be done by Mexico to catch the northern neighbour in terms of economic development but at least now Mexico has the house in order with almost no public deficit and little external debt and current account deficit.
Now it is US turn to fix the house. Good luck!