BajaNomad

Car Work USA vs. MÉXICO

DavidE - 3-1-2013 at 03:25 PM

California:

"Let's see, to replace the freeze plug (frenzied tapping on his calculator), and then there's (more tapping) and tax... We can fit you in Tuesday - one hundred eighty-eight dollars".

Bahia Asunción
"Oh...trescientos pesos"
$23.80

sancho - 3-1-2013 at 03:34 PM

Shop labor here is I believe $90 or so an hr.,
a few yrs. back, replacing a water pump in
a Toyota truck, this guy pulls out a book that
gives him how long it will take to preform certain
work on a vehicle, 2 1/2 hrs. labor, I bought the pump
and put it in myself, I don't think I'm going out on a
limb here, to suggest that living in Asuncion is a bit
less expensive than Orange County, Ca

David K - 3-1-2013 at 03:44 PM

Raceworks only charges $75/hr. ... and they build Trophy Trucks and Luxury Prerunners.

DavidE - 3-1-2013 at 04:02 PM

No Hay Pregunta...

I slipped this in to make for some smiles (sorely needed in this day and age).

sargentodiaz - 3-2-2013 at 11:08 AM

You're gonna love this!

I drove a 1964 Dodge 400 station wagon for more than 11 years that I bought from my cousin who had bought it from my dad who bought it new from the factory.

I had a problem where the rear electric window stopping going up and down. I shopped around a lot of repair shops here in Vegas, to include some owned and operated by Mexicans. The cheapest estimate I got was $1,400 with a two week waiting period.

I drove to Mazatlan to take care of some family business and one of my relatives suggested a small shop set up to one side of a house.

The mechanic/owner didn't even bother to check it out, just telling me to leave it and return later that afternoon.

I did. It was fixed! He'd opened it up, found a broken spring, replaced it and it worked just fine for the next 5 years until I sold it.

Oh yeah! The cost? $12.00 USD