BajaNomad

Guerrero Negro SHOPPING "Mini KOSTCO" Opens

DavidE - 3-4-2013 at 11:32 AM

The small store is only a few days open. It is directed at re-selling products purchased at COSTCO WHOLESALE, Ensenada. Stuff like Kirkland Signature products. Not affiliated in any way with the COSTCO chain, cash only.

No refrigerated products. Lots of shampoo, dog food, Kirkland Signature "pilas" (batteries). Paper towels, toilet paper. Even found a 4 pound jug of Heinz Ketchup. Gillette triple blade razors.

Easy to find. It's on the main boulevard. Keep going past the big orange water tower and the Mercado Ballena. In another kilometer and a half there will be a Pemex gasolinera on the RIGHT. The Mini KOSTCO is across the street so a U-turn is on order.

I put in an order for genuine French Roast whole bean coffee. Two hundred pesos (when it arrives). Forgot my celular put U2U me for their celular number. They buy once or twice a month. And the sky is the limit. Anything in Ensenada they can haul back by special order.

An extremely friendly young couple is starting out and I wish them the best of success. Of course there is a markup from the store prices but they are modest. @#$%^&! Mexican toilet paper, and paper towels, anyway.

Hook - 3-4-2013 at 06:30 PM

How interesting. We have an enterprising young couple doing the same thing over here in Sonora.

Markup is about 70%. They hit Trader Joes, Safeway, Costco, Total Wine. They also will pick up stuff for you at West Marine, PMBs, parts stores, etc., for a nominal charge.

Either it's worth it to you or it isnt. Free enterprise at work.

DianaT - 3-4-2013 at 06:39 PM

David,
Are you sure they are buying at Costco, Ensenada and not in Costco, Chula Vista, USA? I only ask this because we always bring some friends the San Francisco French Roast whole coffee beans from Costco, Chula Vista and it is not carried in the Costco, Ensenada.

Also, with a few exceptions, everything in Costco, Ensenada costs more than it does in a US Costco, so with a markup, the prices would be quite high. BTW-- the price for that coffee has come down recently.

I do wish them lots of luck. There is a lot of money in Guerrero Negro, so I think they will probably do well.

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by DianaT]

Bajaboy - 3-4-2013 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
David,
Are you sure they are buying at Costco, Ensenada and not in Costco, Chula Vista, USA? I only ask this because we always bring some friends the San Francisco French Roast whole coffee beans from Costco, Chula Vista and it is not carried in the Costco, Ensenada.

Also, with a few exceptions, everything in Costco, Ensenada costs more than it does in a US Costco, so with a markup, the prices would be quite high. BTW-- the price for that coffee has come down recently.

I do wish them lots of luck. There is a lot of money in Guerrero Negro, so I think they will probably do well.

I've noticed a number of Kirkland items at the grocery store in Vizcaino as well.

DavidE - 3-5-2013 at 12:24 PM

The SF French Roast is going to cost me 200 pesos. Some folks like the cafe compate whole bean sold down here. IMHO It brews up a wonderful slug of dishwater.

What I have seen of Costco products elsewhere down here...

Montreal Steak Seasoning 185 pesos
Johnny's Cheese Spread (powder) 225 pesos
Kraft Parmesan 120 pesos
Pistachios 410 pesos

Supermercado Sotres in Vizcaino also carries "Queso Cotagge" and it ain't bad. Is there another tienda besides Sotres?

Lala, mantequilla, in the plastic tub, comes from Uruguay, and is superb European style butter.

Hook - 3-5-2013 at 12:34 PM

"Lala, mantequilla, in the plastic tub, comes from Uruguay, and is superb European style butter."

Well, that would be a welcome relief. Mexican butters are so oily in the mouth and very un-fresh tasting. I will have to look for this LaLa butter in the tub. All the gringos over here are dependent on the Costco butter, but it is expensive.

Is it salted or unsalted, DavidE?

Bajaboy - 3-5-2013 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
The SF French Roast is going to cost me 200 pesos. Some folks like the cafe compate whole bean sold down here. IMHO It brews up a wonderful slug of dishwater.

What I have seen of Costco products elsewhere down here...

Montreal Steak Seasoning 185 pesos
Johnny's Cheese Spread (powder) 225 pesos
Kraft Parmesan 120 pesos
Pistachios 410 pesos

Supermercado Sotres in Vizcaino also carries "Queso Cotagge" and it ain't bad. Is there another tienda besides Sotres?

Lala, mantequilla, in the plastic tub, comes from Uruguay, and is superb European style butter.

I think that is the one...on the main drag on the east side. I've noticed Kirkland shampoo and laundry detergent.

DavidE - 3-5-2013 at 03:38 PM

I believe I have seen it both ways, but the salted seems to be less saline than regular butter. Mexican butter? Cheesey-Oleo-Rancid IMO.

But - Mexican thick cream? Ho Boy, now we talkin'!

Post Script Added...

LaLa thick cream in the box. Indistinguishable to me, from fresh refrigerated cream, and it can be hauled around and stored unrefrigerated. The box screams ULTRAPASTURIZADO but I don't know if that means it would pass muster with US Customs.

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by DavidE]

DianaT - 3-5-2013 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
The SF French Roast is going to cost me 200 pesos. Some folks like the cafe compate whole bean sold down here.

Not a bad mark-up. Even though the price has come down recently, it stills costs almost $15.00 in Costco in the US and they must be bringing it from the states.

The little store across from the baseball field in BA tried having a number of Costco items, but it must not have worked well as they have changed directions.

Speaking About Brand Confusion

Gypsy Jan - 3-5-2013 at 05:28 PM

Recently, I viewed a show on PBS, Cooks' Country or maybe the other one whose name escapes me at this moment.

They announced that Pyrex was no longer being manufactured by Corning and they advised everyone to go out and buy all the Pyrex measuring cups/bowls, etc. that the could find at garage sales.

Today, at the Mega Comercial Mexicana in Rosarito, I saw a shelf full of brand new, glass measuring cups labeled as "Py O Rex"

Is this glassware from China? I don't know, I was trying to get my shopping done and didn't take the time to look it over.

thebajarunner - 3-5-2013 at 09:33 PM

LA Bay grocery up by the water works,
all the paper products are Kirkland

BajaBlanca - 3-6-2013 at 08:35 AM

we too get all our products from chula vista costco except for local fruits and veggies

although

the other day I saw asparagus in our grocery store ! what a hoot.