BajaNomad

So what's up with the large cruise ships wanting to enter mag bay?

mtgoat666 - 3-5-2013 at 10:56 AM

So what's up with the mega cruise ships wanting to enter mag bay? what times of year are they proposing, and what attractions are they selling?

http://www.costasalvaje.com/media-center/news/806

sancho - 3-5-2013 at 11:21 AM

I remember reading that some/most Cruise ships
running down the Pacific Mex coast, are not porting
at Mazatlan/Acapulco, not verified though, it
would seem they have some time on their hands,
they MAY be looking for some areas to occupy
their clients, pure speculation

Islandbuilder - 3-5-2013 at 12:12 PM

I think that a couple of smaller companies, like NatGeo/Lindblad may be going into the lagoons, and coordinating with the different panga-based whale watching companies.
Those are about 75 passenger boats, something like that.
It would be a far different situation if 2500-4500 pasenger vessels started showing up, even if they anchored outside the lagoon.
Even assuming that not all the guests would pay the fees (which would be mulitples of what it costs now) to go on a panga ride, it would still plug the lagoon on ship days, not allowing other shore-based visitors to have access while still following the tour guide lines.
Then there is the question of when and where the ships will discharge their sewage. Will there be rules (enforcable rules) for anchorage areas, discharge areas, noise limits, etc, etc?

There are big bucks behind the big cruise companies, and small local businesses and environmental organizatios will either be buried, co-opted or consumed.

I hope it proves to not be worth the cruise companies time to pursue this.