BajaNomad

Have you ever been In The Dog House?

Pompano - 3-7-2013 at 09:24 AM

I just came upon this unique trailer the other day on a San Diego freeway.

Having just completed a rather long and winding RV road trip over the last few months, it was a common sight to see all kinds of mobile repair and supply trucks, vans, and whatevers along the route and in RV resorts. So, when I saw this trailer I thought it was a mobile pet grooming business..and a good idea at that.

Nope, as I passed the trailer I could see it was a mobile food business with hot dogs being the main treat. Well, that's a good idea, too....and made me hungry, so I followed that darn food wagon for miles and miles....but they must have been enroute to Alaska, because it never slowed down. I could smell those hot dogs and fixins slipping away!

Anyhoo...I googled it later and got all kinds of info. I also read a variety of customer reviews ranging from excellent to poor... (like we get on Nomads on every subject under the sun)

My review is....I can attest to the eye-grabbing art design as a winner! And if I ever find it stationary somewhere, I'll try one of those dogs. Maybe some Nomads already have?

p.s. This is what you do while waiting to head down to Baja. :rolleyes:

toneart - 3-7-2013 at 10:59 AM

He was just blowing by La Jolla, where they don't eat hot dogs. They prefer Filet Mignon on a stick. You would probably find him doing a fine business in L.A., but I don't blame you for wanting to go that far.

By the way, what wine would envision paired with Diego's Dogs?:spingrin:

Pompano - 3-7-2013 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
He was just blowing by La Jolla, where they don't eat hot dogs. They prefer Filet Mignon on a stick. You would probably find him doing a fine business in L.A., but I don't blame you for wanting to go that far.

One possibility.

b-tch wine.jpg - 25kB

toneart - 3-7-2013 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:

One possibility.

:lol::lol: Uhhhhhh....it is provocative while not pretentious. However, I am told it has quite a bite. :o:smug:

Bob H - 3-7-2013 at 01:24 PM

I've been in the Dog House... today, in Rancho Bernardo.

Wonderful hotdogs !!!

My DOG !!!

Bill, the Owner of The Dog House

[Edited on 3-7-2013 by Bob H]

In Rosarito

Gypsy Jan - 3-7-2013 at 03:41 PM

There is a converted-school-bus barbershop usually parked on the Mar del Norte side street.

I had been saving a post about it for when I could put up a picture, but I keep forgetting about the darn thing until I get reminded by seeing it again while driving by.

Pompano - 3-7-2013 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Wonderful hotdogs !!!

Good on ya, Bob! I have yet to try them, but soon...soon.

Hmm...the owner looks very familiar. Wonder if he's a Baja fan, too?

Gypsy Jan, good luck with finding your mobile barbershop photo...sounds like a good idea, too.

Bob H - 3-7-2013 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Wonderful hotdogs !!!

Good on ya, Bob! I have yet to try them, but soon...soon.

Hmm...the owner looks very familiar. Wonder if he's a Baja fan, too?

Bill, the owner, used to go to the San Felipe area quite a bit a few years ago, not much more of Baja though.

I told him about the Nomad board and how your posting got me going over to his rig for lunch today. A really nice guy. He said he was on his way to a private party cater job when you saw him the other day.

I didn't order fries, but they threw some curly fries in there anyway. Really nice people. (He had a cashier in the window and he does the cookup).

CortezBlue - 3-7-2013 at 10:58 PM

Bill, the owner, looks like one of the guards in Blade Runner?

Skipjack Joe - 3-8-2013 at 12:42 AM

I have always had a soft spot for this place. Hot dogs may not be the healthiest thing for you but they sure are good. Sauerkraut and mustard is my favorite. When you're younger nothing could beat a chili dog (with cheese and onions, of course) but now it just gives you heartburn.

Heck, I'd rather go to Wienerschnitzel than have an In-n-Out burger.

Pompano - 3-8-2013 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I have always had a soft spot for this place. Hot dogs may not be the healthiest thing for you but they sure are good. Sauerkraut and mustard is my favorite. When you're younger nothing could beat a chili dog (with cheese and onions, of course) but now it just gives you heartburn.

Heck, I'd rather go to Wienerschnitzel than have an In-n-Out burger.

You took the words right out of my dog-chomping mouth, Igor.

Just yesterday I was tackle shopping around Shelter Island when I chanced upon an identical Wienerschnitzel drive-in and satisfied my cravings. Now those are good dogs!

Isn't it amazing about a quick scent of something? Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer campout roasting hot dogs on a stick....and flaming a marshmellow and waving the firebrand in the night air. Mmm.. Talk about smells and tastes from my youth!

I think it's time for another campfire cookout.

Bob H - 3-8-2013 at 10:05 AM

Although Tommy's is famous for their chili hamburgers... they make an OUTSTANDING chili dog. It snaps when you bite into it !! I order mine with the chili on the side and ladel a bit of chili on each bite.

Here's the location in San Diego, on Clairemont Mesa Blvd... between 163 and 805.

http://www.originaltommys.com/tommys_location_sandeigo.php

Cypress - 3-8-2013 at 04:44 PM

Loco Moco??:D

Bob H - 3-9-2013 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Loco Moco??:D

That is Hawaii, right?

woody with a view - 3-9-2013 at 09:39 PM

loco moco is the hands down, best hangover cure anywhere on earth!

Loretana - 3-9-2013 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Bill, the owner, looks like one of the guards in Blade Runner?

That would have to be the late Brion James as Leon Kowalski in Blade Runner.......His best line was
"nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch"!

untitled.bmp - 32kB

acadist - 3-10-2013 at 07:17 AM

Diego is named "Bill"?????????

BajaBlanca - 3-10-2013 at 10:24 AM

Diego must refer to SAN DIEGO is my guess

How cool that he goes around serving hotdogs ....and I sure wish he would head waaaaaaaaaaaay south as I would so love a hotdog with all the fixins right about now.

durrelllrobert - 3-10-2013 at 10:35 AM

Quote:

As teenagers we alway drank Thunderbird with Mel's Hot Dogs (are anything else we put in our mouths). Remember:
What's the word?
Thunderbird.
What's the price?
Thirty twice.

[Edited on 3-10-2013 by durrelllrobert]