BajaNomad

Rabbit TV?

chuckie - 3-7-2013 at 09:30 AM

My daughter tipped me off to a device "Rabbit TV", that plugs into a USB port and allows viewing of 5000+ TV channels world wide...I researched it and it looks legit, for 10 bucks...I am headed to San Diego this weekend to shop and pick up my wife, and will buy one...Anyone already using one in Mexico????

Rabbit

bajaguy - 3-7-2013 at 09:44 AM

Their web site says you can't buy it in stores, mail order only.

Would be interested in hearing first-hand reviews

DENNIS - 3-7-2013 at 09:47 AM

Look before you buy:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121221123751AA...

https://www.rabbittv.com/

monoloco - 3-7-2013 at 09:47 AM

When they say 5000= channels, that probably includes Uzbeki soap operas and Nigerian game shows.:lol:

neilm81301 - 3-7-2013 at 10:00 AM

Google it up. Lots of reviews. Doesn't sound too good. For $10, well, let us know how it works for you.

Neil

Keri - 3-7-2013 at 10:14 AM

They have them at walmart in the as seen on tv section. I bought one but havent used it yet. k

chuckie - 3-7-2013 at 10:45 AM

I read some reviews..they seem to be for several different similar products. They ranged from crappy to awesome...The setup allows you to pick a country-hence the large number of channels.....If it works at 50% its a good deal, 10 bucks is 6 Pacificos I can skip....Gonna buy one

Riom - 3-8-2013 at 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
My daughter tipped me off to a device "Rabbit TV", that plugs into a USB port and allows viewing of 5000+ TV channels world wide.

The USB stick is essentially a dongle to get access to their subscription service, which appears to be a list of links to online TV sites.

A similar free site would be http://wwitv.com/ - there are many others.

To actually watch the programs, you'd still need a good internet connection and still have any geographic restrictions the orginal site has, for example be in Canada to access most CBC programs (or use a VPN). See http://support.rabbittvgo.com/KB/a48/non-us-users.aspx

I can't see the point of subscribing to a list of links, many of which are not available in Mexico, when there are free sites that do the same thing.

Rob

chuckie - 3-8-2013 at 02:44 AM

What are some of these "free' sites?

Pompano - 3-8-2013 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What are some of these "free' sites?

Easy to find, chuckie...simply Google 'free computer tv' and PRESTO....(I just found 506,000,000 results so it may take a bit to wade thru them. A computer can also be called a 'pandoras box.')

They will say 'free', but, as you know, you get what you pay for. Over the last few years I've tried several from my old home in Coyote Bay just south of Mulege, but never found a single one that I could stand watching. I'll stick with satellite tv and a subscription.

Local options

Mulegena - 3-8-2013 at 08:11 AM

We subcribe to the local Mexican vTV programming for $169 pesos per month through Sky TV.

There's many programs available in English, accessed by a toggle on the control. They also have subtitles in Spanish.

There's also Dish tv which you can get through Telmex. Their basic programming is a bit cheaper than Sky but it doesn't have the telenovela we watch in the evening-- omgosh, I just admitted I watch a telenovela!-- but, hey, it helps me learn Spanish with my husband translating what I don't understand. I also watch the nightly Mexican news which gives a different perspective than US news.

Both Dish and Sky are ok for our tv needs and each has its plusses and minuses.

Pompano - 3-8-2013 at 08:23 AM

Right on Mulegena, I have almost the same setup...DirecTV and Sky. It's hilarious to watch the same news event reported with very different agendas by each provider.

Some of the best entertainment on the tube I ever had was back in the day of C-Band satellite tv. I had a 20ft dish that would bring in news from many different 'birds' in orbit. News and views from many different countries at the push of a button. The French were especially fun! Real rascals.

Anyone remember the old 'Orbit' tv guide magazine?

LaTijereta - 3-8-2013 at 09:34 AM

"Back in the Day", I remember Jens from Mulege was the go to satellite guy.. He kept his catamaran down at Pto Escondido, and was down in Loreto alot.. (I will try and find some old images).. Then we moved on to DirectTV when he was selling mtr dishes.. OK..up until they started moving the satellites around..
Now we have progressed with the internet and faster speeds to using a SlingBox to get all the DirectTV channels from my HD box up in Oceanside..
I am not sure it could get any better..
This "RabbitTV" should have come from the team at Playboy :light:

chuckie - 3-8-2013 at 12:44 PM

Pomp, I remember the old big dish stuff well..we used to get direct feeds which were a crackup, reporters commenting on people when they thought they werent on air...Went through the direct tv fake access cards from a traveling guy...I am going to sign up with the Telmex system....went to Sta Rosalia yesterday and got all the info...Thanks...

DavidE - 3-8-2013 at 12:52 PM

Without good "PEENG" and too many "PERDIDOS de PACKETS" these gizmos are worse than useless.

My last Novela ruined me for life "El Premio Mayor" made me laugh so hard, sometimes I got sick. The antics of Huichol, simply made later novelas uninteresting.