BajaNomad

A Journey To The Whale Taxi

Ateo - 3-10-2013 at 06:15 PM

Holy mackerel! This was a good trip. We booked everything thru Shari ahead of time and drove down to Guerrero Negro to meet her and some fellow Nomads. Here's some pictures:

Rolling out of the driveway.

Getting legal at the Immigration office in San Ysidro.

We stayed at Las Palmas:

First night in Ensenada

DONUT COMA

WINDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Party room at the Cowboy. Thanks for the hookup Shari. We were comfy.

We had dinner with some Nomads (not sure of their screen names and don't want to post their real names without asking)

Shari gave us a book on Gray Whales to read the night before. Very educational and prepped us quite well for what we'd see.

We woke up the following morning pretty early, picked up our pre-ordered kick arse breakfast (burritos, fruit bowl, fresh OJ) and headed to the lagoon.

Our leader!!!!

Part 2 to follow.

Ateo

Bajaboy - 3-10-2013 at 06:19 PM

nice

Ateo - 3-10-2013 at 06:26 PM

PART 2 - THE REAL FUN BEGINS.

Sleeping Whale

Holy moly my hand hurts from resizing photos on photobucket. Time for a break and maybe a c-cktail.

More to follow..........................

David K - 3-10-2013 at 06:27 PM

Great Jon... I am hungry for a stuffed potato now! Tacos Mision is too far where I have them usually!

Nice photos!

Ateo - 3-10-2013 at 06:37 PM

And here she is..............A whale we decided to name "Taxi"

Why? Because she kept rubbing on the bottom and bow of the boat, pushing us along, being our "taxi"

She was so majestic. Calm. Playful. Observant.

Her eye:

Ateo - 3-10-2013 at 06:39 PM

Sirenita and Isaac came up for Shari's B-day bash.

Ateo - 3-10-2013 at 06:50 PM

We had to leave too early. We missed Shari's b-day bash. Work was calling as well as the San Felipe 250 next weekend. We bailed.

Salt anyone?

High centered on Highway 1.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Dinner at the restaurant that shall not be named. Great happy hour margarita also.

Sorry this took so long to post. Photobucket is a nightmare.

Stoked to make some new friends on this trip, see some old friends, meet some Nomads, and do it all safely for another great family trip.

Thanks for the hook up Shari.

-Ateo and BajaLucy

Note: Most photos by mi esposa

liknbaja127 - 3-10-2013 at 07:01 PM

We hade a great experience last week and Shari made it really easy and
fun time, great pics. We will try to load ours soon. looks like you had a gerat time.

Ateo - 3-10-2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
We hade a great experience last week and Shari made it really easy and
fun time, great pics. We will try to load ours soon. looks like you had a gerat time.

Look forward to it!!! Did you go out Saturday with us or Sunday?

elgatoloco - 3-10-2013 at 09:07 PM

Making memories! Great photos.

Of all the comas the donut coma was always a favorite of mine.

Zapotec - 3-10-2013 at 09:11 PM

Ateo, I enjoyed your photos, thank you for sharing.

shari - 3-10-2013 at 09:47 PM

I always love your photos Lucy and commentary too..It was great to finally meet the whole family. Here are a couple more photos from the trip...Sirena was a bit of a whale hog this trip...here she is standing on her head on a calf.

here you are Jon getting spouted upon and one with the kids

this whale really did push us around gently...here is her chin peeking out

paul r - 3-10-2013 at 11:10 PM

lucy, jon, luna, danny... what a great time!!!, you've got a beautiful family!!... beth and I had a "whale" of a time!...

schwlind - 3-10-2013 at 11:41 PM

What great pictures Ateo.. thanks for sharing...
Now I've got to make another whale trip!
Linda

Ateo - 3-11-2013 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paul r
lucy, jon, luna, danny... what a great time!!!, you've got a beautiful family!!... beth and I had a "whale" of a time!...

Paul,

So nice to meet you and Beth. Let's hook up again someday -- maybe in the La Fonda area!!!!

Jon

shari - 3-11-2013 at 07:29 AM

It was really great to see Paul & Beth again too...great boatload of neat folks...Here is a link to an album of that trip on March 2nd for you guys.

http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/user/labufadorainn/library...

And I do have space on my last trip on March 17-19 if anyone wants to join in the fun just let me know...the last whale hurrah will be a good one!!!

[Edited on 3-11-2013 by shari]

shari - 3-11-2013 at 08:08 AM

uuuuups...lo siento...there ya go in the original post...I'm not happy with the new Photobucket though as neither the slide show or the organize feature is working yet so it's a hodgepodge of photos in no particular order...order is important to me and I cant figure out how to get the old Photobucket back....waaaaah

BajaLucy - 3-11-2013 at 09:51 AM

Always a Blast going to Baja but this time it was even better to meet our majestic Taxi D'whale
It was such a great experience can't explain with simple words thank you Shari for putting this groups Together and sharing your knowledge with all of us really appreciated. Glad you take your precious time to share with us all your marvellouse experience.
:P Thanks a bunch! Can't wait for next year :)

BajaLucy - 3-11-2013 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paul r

Hi Paul, nice to hear from you again. Glad we where able to meet you guys. It was nice to hang out with you and Beth. Hope your ride home was good and not much traffic Hope to see you guys again some day hello 2Beth from us take care :bounce:

BajaLucy - 3-11-2013 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for posting Ateo, I know it gets bit of nerve trying to post with phoneB
Configuration :) thanks for your time much apreciate! :bounce:

elgatoloco - 3-11-2013 at 11:58 AM

Looking at all the fabulous photos gives me a chill. It also reminds me that, like many other things, the experience of being in the immediate presence of the whales is one that is only really conveyed by actually being there. I have shown nearly everyone I know photos of whale trips we have taken to both Scammons and San Ignacio over the years and they all ooh and ahh but unless you have actually done it you don't really know the felling IMHO. It was the same way when I came home from my first trip to the Grand Canyon decades ago and developed the 400+ photos I took and tried to convey the grandeur and beauty to others but felt that although the photos come close its still not the same. I framed two photos and the others ended up in an album never to be seen again. Like trying to explain the lure of riding across the face of a moving wall of water on a plank of foam covered in fiberglass, dude. :cool:

I hope everyone who ever thought about heading to see the whales gets a chance to do it.

Bajaboy - 3-11-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Looking at all the fabulous photos gives me a chill. It also reminds me that, like many other things, the experience of being in the immediate presence of the whales is one that is only really conveyed by actually being there. I have shown nearly everyone I know photos of whale trips we have taken to both Scammons and San Ignacio over the years and they all ooh and ahh but unless you have actually done it you don't really know the felling IMHO. It was the same way when I came home from my first trip to the Grand Canyon decades ago and developed the 400+ photos I took and tried to convey the grandeur and beauty to others but felt that although the photos come close its still not the same. I framed two photos and the others ended up in an album never to be seen again. Like trying to explain the lure of riding across the face of a moving wall of water on a plank of foam covered in fiberglass, dude. :cool:

I hope everyone who ever thought about heading to see the whales gets a chance to do it.

Or like sitting around a campfire in the desert with an amigo, drinking good beer, and watching falling stars burn up as they enter the atmosphere:tumble:

Ateo - 3-11-2013 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

Dude, you are sooooo right. Thanks for pointing out the most important thing to take away from these whale pictures -- GO SEE THEM -- don't just read and view pictures of them!!! Go now, you will not be here forever!!!

One must experience these creatures to truly understand the stoke. Thanks for pointing that out. We need more direct interactions in life. By doing so we gain perspective and a better understanding of what it is to be alive, and our place in the universe.

Hate "those" people? Get to know "those" people and watch that hate deteriorate.

There are studies being conducted about Facebook that show the more social we become with friends and strangers, even over the internet, leads to less conflict. Those people on the other side of the earth are now on our computer screens, and we see them as people, like us, with kids and wives and dreams.

As Twain put it, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

So whales fit in to this.........get to see them, touch them, and have a better understanding of them, and you probably won't go whaling anytime soon.

elgatoloco - 3-11-2013 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Or like sitting around a campfire in the desert with an amigo, drinking good beer, and watching falling stars burn up as they enter the atmosphere:tumble:

That was a close to a meteorite as I have ever witnessed. I was waiting for the shock wave to knock us off our feet, the stumble back to the camper did not count. I am glad you were there to validate it for me. :cool: Good times!

elgatoloco - 3-11-2013 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Dude, you are sooooo right. Thanks for pointing out the most important thing to take away from these whale pictures -- GO SEE THEM -- don't just read and view pictures of them!!! Go now, you will not be here forever!!!

One must experience these creatures to truly understand the stoke. Thanks for pointing that out. We need more direct interactions in life. By doing so we gain perspective and a better understanding of what it is to be alive, and our place in the universe.

Hate "those" people? Get to know "those" people and watch that hate deteriorate.

There are studies being conducted about Facebook that show the more social we become with friends and strangers, even over the internet, leads to less conflict. Those people on the other side of the earth are now on our computer screens, and we see them as people, like us, with kids and wives and dreams.

As Twain put it, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

So whales fit in to this.........get to see them, touch them, and have a better understanding of them, and you probably won't go whaling anytime soon.

I second that emotion. We love to travel and experience new and different things, even if it's the next county. We are headed south in the AM to do the whale thing again for the first time. :biggrin:

shari - 3-12-2013 at 08:53 AM

why dont you stop in at Ojo de Liebre to join us for the last whale hurrah there on march 17-19!!! Probably camp the last couple nights at the lagoon...woo hooo

BajaLucy - 3-12-2013 at 12:53 PM

It's nice to read-hear a true man's emotion or thoughs about life and surrounding Universe
:yes:

CO-PILOT FOR WHALE TRIP NEEDED - WANNA GO??

KASHEYDOG - 3-13-2013 at 08:52 AM

Hey Aeto !! Thanks for posting such a wonderful experience...:yes:.. Great presentation too, BTW.

You've inspired me to go down this weekend for Shari's last tours of the season. If there's anybody in the Rosarito Beach area that would like to ride down with me I would love the company. I'm going by myself so far. I'm planning to leave on Friday and stay in San Quintin that night. I've made reservations with Shari for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and returning Tuesday. If there's someone who wants to go you can call me @ 619 488 3800 or u2u me or e-mail @ kasheydog@aol.com.

Ateo - 3-13-2013 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KASHEYDOG
Hey Aeto !! Thanks for posting such a wonderful experience...:yes:.. Great presentation too, BTW.

You've inspired me to go down this weekend for Shari's last tours of the season. If there's anybody in the Rosarito Beach area that would like to ride down with me I would love the company. I'm going by myself so far. I'm planning to leave on Friday and stay in San Quintin that night. I've made reservations with Shari for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and returning Tuesday. If there's someone who wants to go you can call me @ 619 488 3800 or u2u me or e-mail @ kasheydog@aol.com.

This makes me very happy to hear that my post inspired you to head south for the whales. With the photobucket fiasco it took me about three hours to make that post. I was questioning why the hell I would spend so much time posting for mostly strangers. :)

Thanks for making it worthwhile! Stoked to hear you're heading south.

shari - 3-13-2013 at 03:36 PM

Ateo & Lucy....I neglected to thank you for the wonderful birthday surprise bag...we had so much fun opening each item and were completely thrilled with the contents...it really made my birthday even more special as we had lots of folks to share the booty. Here is Iflyfish & his twin and Izaak and I sampling the wares...the blueberry bombs were insanely delicious...as was everything...mil gracias amigos! You can come to my birthday any year...hahaha

David K - 3-13-2013 at 03:54 PM

Just so wonderful! Shari, I posted you video over on Tacoma World in their Travel forum... It is really great, as are the photos above... Jon, thank you for sizing the photos for all of us on normal size monitors to enjoy!

Ateo - 3-13-2013 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Ateo & Lucy....I neglected to thank you for the wonderful birthday surprise bag...we had so much fun opening each item and were completely thrilled with the contents...it really made my birthday even more special as we had lots of folks to share the booty. Here is Iflyfish & his twin and Izaak and I sampling the wares...the blueberry bombs were insanely delicious...as was everything...mil gracias amigos! You can come to my birthday any year...hahaha

Glad you liked it!!!! Lucy did the shopping!!! Maybe next year we will come down and stay for the birthday bash. I have to admit Udo gave me some ideas for your gifts. I didn't get them all - have to save ideas for next time.

shari - 3-13-2013 at 07:29 PM

Aha...I should have known Udo may have been behind that treasure bag...he certainly does know what we like...gracias