BajaNomad

backcountry info??/

mulegemichael - 3-11-2013 at 05:20 PM

hey amigos....we are fortunate to have dear friends visiting us here in mulege that are headed out on a 10 day bicycle trip across to the pacific from san ignacio then south to san juanico, across to la purismo/san isidro, on to comondu, and out the other side, (our side) to the mission at san javier to complete the ordeal, uh, trip.....any info on any parts of these legs????...we had trouble finding the connection between la purismo and comundu a year or so ago...gracias para todo!

Cisco - 3-11-2013 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
hey amigos....we are fortunate to have dear friends visiting us here in mulege that are headed out on a 10 day bicycle trip across to the pacific from san ignacio then south to san juanico, across to la purismo/san isidro, on to comondu, and out the other side, (our side) to the mission at san javier to complete the ordeal, uh, trip.....any info on any parts of these legs????...we had trouble finding the connection between la purismo and comundu a year or so ago...gracias para todo!

I have about a thousand corks I collected for Sr. Gastelum, the wine/chair maker in Comondu that need to be dropped off if they have room for a big plastic bag full.

Would think they'll get a bottle or so for their efforts.

Gracias.

mulegemichael - 3-12-2013 at 08:37 AM

bump

David K - 3-12-2013 at 08:44 AM

Road between La Purisima and San Jose Comondu actually begins near the town of San Isidro, just east of La Purisima. The road is in bad shape and barely passable by motorcycle as reported by motoged and dtbushpilot. They posted many photos.

Is there a support vehicle, do they have maps (Baja Almamac, etc.)? Higginbotham's 1996 book 'Backroad Baja' has road logs to about every one of these routes they are using. What can I do to help?

mulegemichael - 3-12-2013 at 09:13 AM

thanks dk; appreciated!....problem with dt and motogeds and pattie h. info is that it's dated. ...dt and moto were there 3-4 years ago prior to the last two storms that thumped that area pretty good....was hoping someone has been there really recently after jimena and paul.

TMW - 3-12-2013 at 11:16 AM

Wilderone and Younghusband did part of it in Jan.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65191&pag...

David K - 3-12-2013 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
thanks dk; appreciated!....problem with dt and motogeds and pattie h. info is that it's dated. ...dt and moto were there 3-4 years ago prior to the last two storms that thumped that area pretty good....was hoping someone has been there really recently after jimena and paul.

David and Ged did a great report, and I would bet the roads have not gotten better since then considering storms of the last year or two. So, I am not sure what more you can offer them, as there is no newer guidebook or trip report on Nomad. Even if there was, conditions are posted with opinion or what the writer can compare the road to. I have read reports from people who drive a 2WD graded road and call it the worst thing on earth (because they had to drive at 10 mph in their car made for paved highways).

Your friends are on bicycles, so they simply walk next to the bike what is too rough or steep to ride, yes? So, other than the dirt and washed out roads, what is their choice to do, no matter what is posted here? Will they drop the trip if someone says the road is Hell? Do they have an adventure spirit and go knowing the road may be too washed out for automobiles to drive?

If they want to try and use El Camino Real instead of the auto road between La Purisima and Comondu, I have details and satellite images of it (they are all posted here on Nomad). The El Camino Real leaves La Purisima from the south side of the graveyard, south and uphill from the town... heads south up the hill.

Maps made for Crosby in 1977 of El Camino Real:

As you can see, the mission road is shown as a doule line, which mean easy to follow, constructed roadbed. A single line means the route, but Harry did not begin his mule trip north until Comondu, so he didn't have on the trail experience until then. Beyond Comondu, a single line means the route but the roadbed is vanished from the elements or modern construction.

In 1994, Crosby has more data on the mission trails shown in his book, 'Antigua California' :

Here is a larger area view of the Camino Real routes in central Baja:

Martyman - 3-12-2013 at 02:42 PM

Are you sending used corks? Those won't work.

mulegemichael - 3-12-2013 at 02:58 PM

thanks for more info, dk; appreciated....too late, they have left....they will be on the bus headed north in 5 minutes or so....and yes, they are the adventuresome type and have biked all over the world so shouldn't have any probs....

when dt and motoged did their little trip to the same area a couple of years ago they stayed here with us, and i must say, i really cannot recall seeing two more worn out guys when they arrived here..they were just beat!...funny how a couple of cold ones and a brimming bowl of ceviche will change that attitude!...

my honey and i will probably do a little camping trip across to san juanico from here in mulege this next month and i KNOW that's a grind...but we'll be in our 4runner and i'll just put it on autopilot..it knows it's way!

David K - 3-12-2013 at 04:33 PM

Please post progress or end of trip details!

motoged - 3-12-2013 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
.....when dt and motoged did their little trip to the same area a couple of years ago they stayed here with us, and i must say, i really cannot recall seeing two more worn out guys when they arrived here..they were just beat!...funny how a couple of cold ones and a brimming bowl of ceviche will change that attitude!...

Michael,
We arrived in Mulege after riding from San Ignacio through San Juan de las Pilas (sp?) over two serious mountain passes (one which was several kilometers of cantaloupe and toaster -sized rocks presenting itself as a 45' slope/road) on bikes that were carrying lots of weight. It was probably the most difficult day of riding in hundreds of thousands of moto miles over the past 40 years !!!!:wow::wow: It was the first time I truly bonked on a ride....out of shape, out of water, out of my zone THAT day.....

It sure was good to make it to Mulege that day.....sorry we weren't better guests....at least I wasn't....DT has way more cred in that department :biggrin:

So, yep....we were bagged.....the ride from Mulege to La Purisima was as taxing as a difficult walk in Walmart dodging fat people in weird clothes clogging the aisles.....the ride from La Purisima to Los Commondus and back had two 100-yard difficult sections....and David pretended they were of little real concern (true that:cool:).

So, the route questioned for bicycling is as DK said....if the occasional section is too sandy or rocky, you walk the bike for 10-15 minutes before saddling up again.

Hope your friends took the challenge and visited a part of Baja that every serious Nomad should see at least once.

Two tough sections:
#1:

#2:

The rest would be somewhat like this:

World traveling cyclists sometimes are used to hard-packed dirt or paved roads and have "skinny tires".....Baja cyclists need mountain bikes and wider tires and lotsa gears....two different worlds.

I realize this info comes too late for your friends, but might be useful for others.

Cisco - 3-12-2013 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Are you sending used corks? Those won't work.

The one's I took down last trip worked just fine. Just not enough of them.

What are you referring to?

Bottles are needed also but of course difficult to transport in bulk.