BajaNomad

The Rottie Puppies are Five Months Old

Gypsy Jan - 3-13-2013 at 02:36 PM

When someone that they didn't recognize came into the casa the other day, the male puppy flew across the room to lean against me, looking out.

I don't think we will have to worry about burglars for the next few years.

:yes:

DavidE - 3-13-2013 at 02:51 PM

Is it possible to train a Rottweiler puppy to intimidate but not bite? Shepherds are notoriously hard to train and Pit Bulls have a temperament anywhere from Caspar The Friendly Ghost to Hannibal Lectur.

So Far So Good on the Biting Thing

Gypsy Jan - 3-13-2013 at 03:07 PM

I always flick their jaw immediately and they respond.

They also understand and respond to a stern "No!", even if they are in a remote spot where I can't reach them.

I have a few marks on my hands from puppy teeth, but when corrected, they release immediately.

For anyone reading this, I want to repeat the advice I was given a long time ago, "Rottweilers are not a good choice for first time dog owners."

You need to learn about the breed and the temperament.

bent-rim - 3-14-2013 at 06:37 AM

Every Rottie I and my yellow lab have met is a goofy fun dog.

Skipjack Joe - 3-14-2013 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

They also understand and respond to a stern "No!"

Heh. That's better than DavidK.

Katiejay99 - 3-14-2013 at 07:43 AM

A friend of mine was running on the beach last week. She met another friend who has 2 Rottweiler pups about 8 months old, they know her.

After stopping and greeting them, she continued her run. The two dogs attacked and mauled her viciously and she ended up in the hospital in San Jose del Cabo, transported by ambulance.

The owner of the dogs called the police and had them both shot.

edm1 - 3-14-2013 at 07:43 AM

In my 30 years of having dogs, I conclude that the proper time to train a dog, Rotts included, is during puppyhood, after that it's too late. However, I'm not saying older dogs can't be obedience-triained. I've had a dozen big dogs, mostly Dobies, in the past; currently, with a 5-yo Rott and an 8-yo German Shepherd.

Hi, Katiejay99

Gypsy Jan - 3-14-2013 at 05:30 PM

I am so sorry that your friend got hurt and I really regret that the neglectful owners caused the death of their dogs.

As I posted before, Rottweilers are not a cuddly dog for a first time dog owner. You had better be strong and in charge with these guys from the get go.

They are very intelligent and if the owner isn't on board, they will make decisions on their own. A strange human running across an open field when the dogs are not leashed becomes a perfect target for hunting.

It is their nature if they do not have better direction.

A few years ago, a Navy Seal (as he identified himself) was admiring our Rottie as we walked her. He looked so forlourn and said that he had worked with Rottweilers in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the military discontinued using the breed because, "They were too enthusiastic about their jobs."

I took that to mean that when they were engaged, the SEALS couldn't get the dogs to stand down at the time ordered.

willardguy - 3-14-2013 at 05:53 PM

you people and your dogs! I just dont get it. :lol:

What a Sweet Beautiful Puppy!

Gypsy Jan - 3-14-2013 at 05:56 PM

Thanks for the great picture.

Martyman - 3-15-2013 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

They also understand and respond to a stern "No!"

Heh. That's better than DavidK.