BajaNomad

Gooood Morrrning Sea of Cortez!

vseasport - 3-14-2013 at 09:51 AM

Gooood Morrrning Sea of Cortez!
It looks like this is the pivotal week in East Cape weather changing from winter to spring. Air temperature has risen and north winds have calmed. Wind surfers and kite boarders had an excellent winter but are now packing it up. Traditionally Semana Santos (Easter Sunday) is the last blow of the season.

It is interesting that through the hard winter fishing remained good on days boats were able to get out. Striped marlin and dorado were on the menu continuously. Late January brought a few yellowtail and the morning bite has just continued to get better.

Some days getting live bait has been easy but when the humbolt squid come up over the 1,000 foot edge near by the fin bait disappears. Yo-yoing iron has been very effective getting the yellowtail to go when getting bait is tough.

Just a bit further off shore tailing striped marlin are being sighted in packs from south of Los Frailes to north of Pescadero. I also received a report that a friend of ours fished the Pacific side from Cabo yesterday and limited on Yellowfin tuna.

The East Cape, Sea of Cortez and southern Baja is heating up.

Chango's smile tells the tale. These tails were taken on live macks 2 miles off the beach of Buena Vista

Andres is Chango's great grandson. You can't get kids fishing too early

Jen Wren crew cashed in

Hummingbird update. Mama started on her nest the first week in February on the Jen Wren III bow pulpit. Her two eggs hatched March 1st and from the size of a jellybean the baby birds out grew the nest in 10 days. Last Sunday they flew the coop.

We installed a feeder close by with organic honey. I like to think it helped the mother bird and speeded the process and growth of the little birds. Now we are ready to rumble! Jen Wren III is getting wet this weekend.

Right place right time. I captured this shot of an osprey flying over our deck and posted it on Jen Wren Sportfishing Facebook page. It has had an unbelievable 18,000 views.

The best source for the latest East Cape fishing conditions "like"
Jen Wren Sportfishing Facebook page

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
US cell 310 308 5841

David K - 3-14-2013 at 09:53 AM

Great photos!

bajafreaks - 3-14-2013 at 02:12 PM

Great pictures, cant wait to get down there in May.

Hummingbirds

tehag - 3-14-2013 at 08:03 PM

Please do not use honey or food coloring in hummingbird feeder solution. There is some evidence that either of these may cause serious health problems for the birds. There is nearly complete agreement among ornithologists that it is at least unnecessary, if not risky. Plain white, refined sugar is best.

Reference from Cornell University web site:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=1181

[Edited on 3-15-2013 by tehag]

bacquito - 3-14-2013 at 08:19 PM

Thanks for the photos, great!!

vseasport - 3-17-2013 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
Please do not use honey or food coloring in hummingbird feeder solution. There is some evidence that either of these may cause serious health problems for the birds. There is nearly complete agreement among ornithologists that it is at least unnecessary, if not risky. Plain white, refined sugar is best.

Reference from Cornell University web site:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=1181

[Edited on 3-15-2013 by tehag]

Well you live and learn. It was done with good intentions. Thanks for the info.

Zapotec - 3-17-2013 at 08:07 PM

Fantastico photos, thank you for sharing. Love to fish myself.

redhilltown - 3-19-2013 at 11:46 PM

I think that Osprey has a Sierra in its clutches? Looks better than anything I've seen in the fish section of my local market in months!!!!!!! ;D

Alan - 3-20-2013 at 07:09 AM

MitchMan and I pulled in right behind you yesterday morning to make bait on the backside of Cerralvo. What time did you leave Los Barriles to get up there before we did? I know how early we had to leave!!!:lol:

What a beautiful day on the water! Our fish box was full by 11:00am with our limit. Hope you had similar results.

Back on the beach another panga unloaded a 94# Wahoo that had been caught in the very area we were all fishing. Looks like your little hummingbirds grew up and flew away just in time.

Anyway just wanted to say Hola from a couple of other Nomads. It was nice to see you all of the way up there. You give real meaning to "going the extra mile for your customers"!

vseasport - 3-20-2013 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
MitchMan and I pulled in right behind you yesterday morning to make bait on the backside of Cerralvo. What time did you leave Los Barriles to get up there before we did? I know how early we had to leave!!!:lol:

What a beautiful day on the water! Our fish box was full by 11:00am with our limit. Hope you had similar results.

Back on the beach another panga unloaded a 94# Wahoo that had been caught in the very area we were all fishing. Looks like your little hummingbirds grew up and flew away just in time.

Anyway just wanted to say Hola from a couple of other Nomads. It was nice to see you all of the way up there. You give real meaning to "going the extra mile for your customers"!

Allen, actually we did an over nighter at the island which worked out great. I always love meeting other Nomads, wish you would have come over and said hello. We took limits both days but you hit it right as the bite was better yesterday.

We got bit off once but thought it must have been a sierra. Could have been another hoo? I'm working on photos right now.

BajaBlanca - 3-21-2013 at 07:14 PM

really amazing photos !