BajaNomad

Trip report, 3000 miles R/T for a screensaver photo?

vgabndo - 3-14-2013 at 03:29 PM

This is Bahia Asuncion, and I'll never get enough of this.

I want to use this to thank all the folks who are new friends, and the many who are becoming life-long friends for their hospitality as we used BA as a home base for our travels.

We had a breakdown on this trip, and fortunately were within limping distance of Campo Sirena when we had to solve the problem. The way everyone rallied around was up-lifting, and the best part of all, is that I am here writing this from home and you who will read this who participated will know that you helped get it right!

I had tried not to notice that I was slinging a little differential lube from my right rear axle seal. While parked at a popular body boarding beach north of BA, I noticed a new oil stain at 6:00 o'clock and knew I'd have to have the bearings inspected and seal replaced. I wouldn't use the same mechanic again!! Although I did allow him to cut the welded inner race of the outer axle bearing from the mutilated spindle resulting from his 'bigger hammer' approach to the situation. After removing the seal and finding the bearings OK, I rode the bus for a replacement, and while torquing the retaining nut to the spindle, he got it way to tight, and we spun and destroyed the outer bearing, luckily, just outside BA.

Several lessons learned. Japanese and Chinese parts while called the same size, are not the same size as original stuff. And, some guys you can really trust. Juan Arce spent a lot of time on the phone with the parts house in Viscaino getting the second parts run together. Tomasito, who drives the EcoTour bus made that run and returned with the bogus bearings. (not his fault). Then I got adopted by Chuey Mayoral He's the grader driver/mechanic, and for the third parts run to Viscaino I put myself in his hands and we had a great morning. We went from parts house to taco stand to machine shop to parts house and Chuey's 1000 close friends made sure I didn't pay too much.

Abraham? the mechanic at the moto4/bike shop, came to us, and did a great job of re-installing all the newest right parts.

I have an infra-red thermometer on board, so I was being hyper vigilant as we headed out into the 60 miles of nothing as we said goodbye and made for Viscaino. My belly finally settled down, and as the miles mounted-up, I finally realized that the warmest of the two hubs was always the one in the sun!

You guys know who you are! Thanks a million for your support. It was a happy ending. It cost $232.00, $65. of that in gas! Nomads could u2u me for the name of a mechanic to avoid.

[Edited on 3-16-2013 by vgabndo]

Ateo - 3-14-2013 at 04:14 PM

Beautiful shot and great story.

shari - 3-14-2013 at 05:05 PM

What a wonderful screen saver amigo! well worth the trip eh! We are all relieved to know you got home safely with no further breakdowns...whew. You are missed here my friend but it was sure nice to spend some time with you this year and of course look forward to your return.

Uh...yeah...about that first mechanic...I wasnt too happy when I saw you in his clutches that day on the road but you had already made up your mind...live and learn. You WERE in good hands with Chuey Mayoral...cant go wrong there...usually....and sure have alot of fun and ummm...cultural immersion!!!!

Here you are in the company of some pretty wild and crazy nomads

and of course our spiritual shrimp taco gatherings on sundays

and you got in some quality Izaak time too

vgabndo - 3-14-2013 at 09:52 PM

Thanks Jon, and Shari for correcting Chuey's name. It was on the bus ride with Tomasito that he coined the name of your bad section of access road: Avenida de las Albercas! All those swimming pools lacked was water! Chuey and Roberto got a kick out of THAT name!

Thanks for posting your pix too. We owe a big thanks to Rick, Iflyfish, for always welcoming our parking behind the Finley's rental where he was so happy. I'll never forget the many happy hours watching the parade of whales heading north from that vantage point.

The couple in the first picture, Wayne and Melinda, were great fun, and on the Valentine's Day whale trip. Weeks later we ran into them at Casuela's at dinner in GN as we made a propane run in the camper before heading to Loreto. They had a great time that night. He told me that they had been away from Baja for 20 years. They got to see Juan's band fire-up, and all the women singing along with the ballads! He has some great tequila soaked video I hope he'll share.

And, Isaak. What can I say? Getting to spend that much time with him was a real gift. We used to say of kids like him: that he has an 'old soul'. He's also coming at you in both English and Spanish, just to keep you on your toes. Sirena is a good mom!
Speaking of Don Ramon's....this is my style.

[Edited on 3-15-2013 by vgabndo]

028.JPG - 41kB

Islandbuilder - 3-14-2013 at 10:26 PM

What a great story!
It seems like in our hardships we discover friends and resources we wouldn't find if things had gone according to plan.

I have fond memories of searching Puerto Vallarta for bearing and seals for a blown boat gearbox. At the time, there were no Chinese parts in the shelves, so once we had the right Timpkin (sp?) numbers all we had to do was to find them. (which we did after 2 days)

Congratulations on managing to have an adventure! Not so easy to do these days.

David K - 3-14-2013 at 10:37 PM

Nice post Perry!

shari - 3-15-2013 at 08:01 AM

It's gonna be pretty darn quiet at Tacos Don Ramon's tomorrow without ya'll...we will think of you as we gorf down a shrimp taco though...cheers!

woody with a view - 3-15-2013 at 08:40 AM

happy trails! BTW, that shot was worth it in my opinion.

vgabndo - 3-15-2013 at 09:56 AM

Thanks all, the screen saver is from our back door at Campo Sirena. Here are a few more images of locations we briefly called home.

Playa Requeson

Santa Rosaliita

Between BA and San Roque

K 171 at Catavina

Campo Cinco at Bufadora

bajajudy - 3-15-2013 at 05:41 PM

Looks like a great trip
Thanks for all the wallpaper for my computer.
cheers

David K - 3-15-2013 at 07:15 PM

Great photos Perry! Good job on sizing the ones just above!

BajaBlanca - 3-15-2013 at 07:27 PM

Perry - that shot is just incredible ! You might want to enter it into Baja photo contests that every so often show up = it
s a winner!

sorry about your adventure .... but glad it turned out OK in the end !

It was nice meeting you two too.

Ateo - 3-15-2013 at 07:30 PM

I have to go camp in Catavina instead of just hauling arse thru it on the way to surf spots!!!

vgabndo - 3-15-2013 at 09:28 PM

Jon, that spot in Catavina is a good one, and no secret! K 171 is near the top of a rise, heading south, just past 171 at the bottom of a vado is a HARD narrow right hander into the dirt just beyond (or over) a concrete repair at the culvert. There is not much of a sight line for those coming over the hills in either direction.

Under the split rock above and left of the camper, was the room below; a nice big dry shelter.

and very near by, was a little water supply in a beautiful cenote.

vgabndo - 3-15-2013 at 10:11 PM

Thanks Blanca. And thanks again for your generous hospitality. We know La Bocana and her people a lot better now. The time in beds and out of the Capsula Espacia were a needed respite. You called that right! It was a treat to meet some of your family.

I resized the sunrise, and added the moments before and after.

Skipjack Joe - 3-15-2013 at 11:26 PM

Now that's interesting. How did something so perfectly round come to exist? Doesn't look like it's man made.

With a sharp edge like that it's probably not a product of erosion. Maybe a softer rock rounded by surf or river had at one time been immersed in the granite and slowly weathered away, leaving a perfect hole outlining it's former presence.

Who says that mathematics is abstract? It's everywhere.

vgabndo - 3-16-2013 at 12:00 AM

I read somewhere that an edge wears more slowly than a corner because it has one less surface, this was said to promote roundness in erosion. Two nearby holes were filled with soil and plants were growing in them. I wouldn't discount the effects of roots on the decomposing granite over the millenia. Curious indeed. I'm thinking that the non-leaking hole was cleaned of soil, or it would look just like the rest nearby.

vgabndo - 3-16-2013 at 01:32 PM

Here's the obligatory Yellowtail photo. Cathy and I out-waited the wind for a beautiful outing with Juan and our friend John for 9 YT and 3 Bonitos.

They were eating the XRap 30 Mahi.

We had a great day on the water. Thanks Shari for dealing with licenses and permits.

vgabndo - 3-16-2013 at 01:36 PM

I'm confident that both are now blown down...invisible.

Iflyfish - 3-17-2013 at 09:22 AM

What a pleasure to again spend time with you buen amigo and to see your beautiful photos. What an adventure! More to come! Life is good in the sloow lane!

God bless you.

Iflyfish

vgabndo - 3-17-2013 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the good times, and the blessing! The same goes out to you with the added assurance, because you like goats, that I won't kill any to help secure the aforementioned blessing.:saint: