BajaNomad

Desperate For Diodes

DavidE - 3-15-2013 at 12:44 PM

May as well ask for plutonium down here. If any kind soul Nomad is headed this way and could pass by Radio Shack and grab 4, 3-amp axial diodes I am repairing a large battery charger that can be lent to Nomads here if they have battery problems.

They look like a tiny black plastic tube with wire sticking out both ends. The Radio Shack "help" may or may not be familiar with what an axial diode is, though.

nandopedal - 3-15-2013 at 01:34 PM

See your U2U

Hi DavidE, Hope That These Links Help

Gypsy Jan - 3-15-2013 at 01:35 PM

http://www.digikey.com.mx/product-search/en?adpos=1t1&WT...

http://baja-rep.com/

http://www.futurlec.com/?gclid=CLOy0P_I_7UCFVSVMgodtmIABg

Best of Luck, GJ

Howard - 3-15-2013 at 01:53 PM

Where are you located?

Bob and Susan - 3-15-2013 at 03:03 PM

david
doesn't the buyer need to know what voltage you want
diodes come is all different voltage for 3amp

ncampion - 3-15-2013 at 03:05 PM

David, I assume you're making a full wave bridge. RS sells bridges with high amp capacity all assembled. Might be easier.

Like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=206258...

[Edited on 3-15-2013 by ncampion]

rzitren - 3-15-2013 at 03:13 PM

Hi
I have an Auto Electric shop in San Diego. I have plenty of 3 amp axial diodes. I would check at some of the auto electric shops around and they should have them. If anyone is coming through San Diego, I would be glad to donate some.
Rick

comitan - 3-15-2013 at 03:58 PM

David

I can pick them up and bring them back with your medicine.

rogbag - 3-15-2013 at 09:09 PM

David -

We are coming down thru Visciano late next week. Would be happy to bring some down if you can come out to Hwy 1 for a drop-off.
Roger

DavidE - 3-16-2013 at 12:45 PM

Thank you ALL and I mean Cien Mil GRACIAS!

ROGBAG: If all else fails I can negotiate the hideous 20+20 miles of the Tortugas highway and meet you. Some of the potholes are so deep now they are unavoidable and threaten to tear through the automatic transmission oil pan on my little car. That road is rapidly becoming impassible to my low slung K car.

COMITAN: Again you are acting as savior. Unless disaster strikes we can count on you as the most feasible.

GYPSY JAN: I called the rep and unfortunately they only deal with OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturers) and sell on an open account basis only. But thank you for the nice recommendation.

When this monster hand-carry charger gets finished, it will have a constant maximum output of 60 amperes. Selectable 40, 20, and 10 ampere, with a spring wound 4 hour timer (Intermatic). I elected to use a 3-1/2 digit LED voltmeter so a user can terminate a charge at less than 15.0 volts so it won't damage RV refrigerator, heater, and other circuit boards or auto electronics.

The idea is to make available a "loaner" so if an RV'er encounters problems with a converter charger, this charger is big enough to charge a very large battery bank rapidly and buy time so that a trip does not get ruined. I have seen a lot of paradise fishing trips get ruined because the 12 volt power in an RV failed because the converter went on the fritz. This charger can be carried in one hand instead of being a wheeled monster. My other plans about getting parts for emergency repairs also came to fruition. I ordered a large amount of 12 volt breakers, relays, bases, and a super heavy duty battery isolation solenoid. The stockpile is tiny but better than nothing. Lengths of 4 gauge and 1 gauge and 8 gauge wire donations would be appreciated. So would battery clamps and lugs. I have some but not all. A DPDT 20-amp switch would be wonderful SPST switches as well. They just have to work. My emaciated pension only allows me a pittance toward this fund. You cannot believe how limited parts and supplies are here. I enjoy this type of work, to me troubleshooting and repair is fun. So is the camaraderie. Local mechanic shops hate electrical repair so my donation hurts no one that I know of.

Thanks NOMADS!

PS: The parts I asked for are NOT donations. I will pay for them.

RZITREN: Some of the car stereo shops in Guerrero Negro may have axial diodes laying around but they were closed the last couple of times I went there.

NCAMPION: Weird design. The main transformer has to minor windings, one 3 volt, the other 5 volt for control. I am going to try and solder the little guys near the control B+ and then epoxy them.

But come to think of it, I can KILL for a tube of -----GOOP®----- adhesive (despite the ten different labels they are all the same goop) to secure components within the case. Silicone is useless, and nothing sold down here works.

BOBANDSUSAN: Being of extremely low voltage even 50PIV diodes should work fine. I decided to abbreviate the post because 100, 200, 400, 600 or 1,000 PIV diodes will interchange. But thanks for the heads-up!

comitan - 3-16-2013 at 01:34 PM

David

It seems as Shari has a drop off point, wish you would find out, trying to make that kind of connection is most difficult.

DavidE - 3-16-2013 at 02:10 PM

It consists of me spending many many hours at the gasolinera reading my NOOK. A Vizcaino drop-off for someone with loose plans, however would not work too hot. Usually though a heads-up email from someone headed south allows me to get to the gasolinera with hours to spare. The handoff is much much faster than having someone stop, park and then do the shuffle at some business. I also carry a cellular, which works near Asuncion and Vizcaino. Thank god for internet and a celular. In Asuncion, a dropoff is assured at the mercado Miramar. Just say "Es Para David".

Mulegena - 3-16-2013 at 02:10 PM

Public drop points in Vizcaino:

1. Baja Pak - located in the bus station on Hwy 1
2. Estafeta - located on a side-street behind the hardware stores east side of Hwy 1;
look for the small signs.

I'd expect there'd be a charge for collecting the package.

DavidE - 3-16-2013 at 02:56 PM

Now there's a thought Mulagena!

For general info --- the Estafeta office is on the north side of the highway. Look for the tall microwave tower and turn onto the street that seems the closest one leading to it. A couple of blocks later there will be a hand scrawled sign with arrow pointing left. Make the left, go one block, then make a right, and there Estafeta is, on the right with a big sign. Not a hint, this is just general info. for locals.

Mulegena - 3-16-2013 at 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Now there's a thought Mulagena!

For general info --- the Estafeta office is on the north side of the highway. Look for the tall microwave tower and turn onto the street that seems the closest one leading to it. A couple of blocks later there will be a hand scrawled sign with arrow pointing left. Make the left, go one block, then make a right, and there Estafeta is, on the right with a big sign...

Good directions, but to clarify, isn't Etafeta east of the highway which runs north-south through Vizcaino?

To digress a bit:
Estafeta is an excellent way to get packages and correspondence safely and quickly to and from the US and within-country, btw. Vizcaino has a brick-and-mortar office. Their trucks make drops in some of the smaller villages, too, in pre-determined locales.
For moving packages and mail up and down the Baja peninsula, North and South, Baja Pak is my carrier of choice. It is associated with the buses and has an office in most stations.

Both carriers are quick and safe.