BajaNomad

Yellowtail at the Bajo

Alan - 3-15-2013 at 10:09 PM

After nearly two hours of trying to make bait and only coming up with 2 macs we were able to buy a tank of sardines. Arrived at the Bajo (NE of Espiritu Santos) to see YT crashing bait everywhere. Had a steady and consistent bite all day with several doubles going off. 12 YT for the day filled every fish hold on the boat. Just 6 of them filled two ice chests with fillets so our Capt. gladly accepted the rest. Here is a quick picture of half of our catch.

March 13 2012 018 resized.jpg - 45kB

BornFisher - 3-16-2013 at 10:19 AM

Congrats and thanks for the report. What day did you fish?
I fished the La Salina area Thurs., in pea soup fog. Friday morning wasn`t much better so I headed north.
The last week of Jan., a friend and I caught 5. A week later we got one (30lbs). Then took a skunk and it slowed down. Your report gives me hope for another round!

Edit-- we got the yellows in the same area you fished, 5 fish on iron and one on a mackerel.

[Edited on 3-16-2013 by BornFisher]

chuckie - 3-16-2013 at 10:43 AM

I thought there was a 2 fish limit on Yellows?

bill erhardt - 3-16-2013 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

The limit for yellowtail in Mexico is 5 fish per person per day.

Alan, congratulations on a good day. I fished yesterday between El Bajo and Loreto for 6, most between Catalana and Santa Cruz.

El Bajo is definitely a fishy spot. I've fished it a couple of times from the north, overnighting on the hook at San Jose.

Did you see any early marlin?

capitolkat - 3-16-2013 at 12:55 PM

got a couple of yellows in late february at El Bajo , and cruising back trolling a cedar plug array got hit by a huge blue marlin on the NE side of espiritu santos. Wasn't rigged for marlin and it split the lure after a few minutes, but everyone on board was nuts for those few minutes.

Bill they are out there- Captain said it was well over 300#

BornFisher - 3-16-2013 at 01:13 PM

Whoa---- I thought the area was the Bajo NE of Isla Todas Santos by Ensenada. I was wondering why no macs, the sunny weather and the size of fish!!

htnfool - 3-16-2013 at 06:39 PM

Nice yellows fellas. Nothing like filling the boat.

Alan - 3-16-2013 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

The limit for yellowtail in Mexico is 5 fish per person per day.

Alan, congratulations on a good day. I fished yesterday between El Bajo and Loreto for 6, most between Catalana and Santa Cruz.

El Bajo is definitely a fishy spot. I've fished it a couple of times from the north, overnighting on the hook at San Jose.

Did you see any early marlin?
No marlin yesterday at the Bajo but two weeks ago my son was down and we fished Muertos. While we were making bait right inside the bay I looked over and saw a tailer right next to the boat but couldn't entice him with just a sabiki. Later that day I saw a free-jumper right outside Perico. Caught dorado with the YT so I'm not sure if the marlin and dorado are early season or late season but regardless, they are still around.

Alan - 3-16-2013 at 10:24 PM

For those thinking of heading down I think the next couple of months are shaping up to be pretty good. Got to the backside of Cerralvo last week when the winds settled down and pulled 9 quality fish to 40#'s. Yesterday at the Bajo they ran between 20 - 35#'s

bill erhardt - 3-17-2013 at 06:04 AM

That's good news about the marlin. I've seen none yet out of Loreto, but a friend saw one Friday east of Carmen tailing in 64 degree water. Maybe the early arrival of marlin and dorado bodes well for more pelagics than we've seen the last two or three years. We are overdue for a good summer season.

Pescador - 3-17-2013 at 07:41 AM

Amen, we are due for a good summer and if Bill just does not catch all of them when they move through Loreto on their way north, we should have a great summer.

We have had a mixed season so far for Yellowtail with some of the strongest bites I have ever seen then the next day it is totally off and the fish have lockjaw. But spring is happening big time, the jellyfish eggs are getting wrapped up in your line, there is so much stuff hatching in the water that you can hardly see 10 feet, some signs of floating sargasso popping up, and massive hatches of sardine schools popping up all over. I know, fishermen are eternal optimists, but this is truly going to be a good year cause I can feel it in my bones.

Pacifico - 3-17-2013 at 08:05 AM

I'm ready!!! Let's hope it's a great year!