BajaNomad

Ironman left a lot of garbage behind....a lot

bajajudy - 3-18-2013 at 01:34 PM

The plastic water bags, boxes of bags, granola bar wrappers and various other pieces of garbage have been left on the side of the road, in the middle of the road, and under the bridge to La Playa.
If they dont do something today, it will be all over the arroyo and some might wind up in my yard.
I hope this is the first and last race if this is the way they leave my community.
I am angry..oh really, judy?

David K - 3-18-2013 at 01:39 PM

Ironman, was that the name of the local race there? Sounded like Ivan Stewart was getting blamed for something!?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_'Ironman'_Stewart's_Super_Off_Road

Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road is an arcade video game released in 1989 by Leland Corporation.[1] The game was endorsed by professional off road racer Ivan Stewart.

rts551 - 3-18-2013 at 01:43 PM

maybe it was this guy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man

Sorry Judy. I understand it was a triathlon. Maybe a call to the race organizers could get a cleanup crew out.

After the Baja 1000 this year, we sent crews out to clean up the most popular spots that were near by.

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2013 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
The plastic water bags, boxes of bags, granola bar wrappers and various other pieces of garbage have been left on the side of the road, in the middle of the road, and under the bridge to La Playa.
If they dont do something today, it will be all over the arroyo and some might wind up in my yard.
I hope this is the first and last race if this is the way they leave my community.
I am angry..oh really, judy?

they have a website and facebook page. drop them a note with photo of trash left behind. perhaps organizer is unaware of mess they left,... a social media posting may get them to respond promptly before they lose control of message...

due to time factor, you may have to round up your neighbors to clean it up before animals and wind spread it about..

people who litter are bad, bad people

DENNIS - 3-18-2013 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
they have a website and facebook page.

Who are they? Gotta link? Maybe they need to be severly mocked and scolded be a few million irate people.

We need fotos.

El Jefe - 3-18-2013 at 06:24 PM

I saw the huge piles of trash today too on the bridge to La Playita and along the four lane all the way to Cabo on my Costco run. What an embarrassment! I can't believe that the race coordinators did not have a cleanup plan for the day of the event.

There were not only the big piles, but plastic bottles and paper cups scattered along the race route that were dropped by the competitors. Unbelievable.

David K - 3-18-2013 at 06:29 PM

Really is sad, that whoever was there watching the race just dumped their trash and left?

willardguy - 3-18-2013 at 06:39 PM

plenty of unhappy residents voicing anger on facebook, let em know what you think!

El Jefe - 3-18-2013 at 06:39 PM

No, it wasn't the people watching. It was all the water bottles, cups and associated stuff consumed by the athletes. They had huge piles stashed at points along the race. Runners would get a drink handed to them, consume it and then toss it. All that was left behind as well as the empty cases and so forth.

David K - 3-18-2013 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
No, it wasn't the people watching. It was all the water bottles, cups and associated stuff consumed by the athletes. They had huge piles stashed at points along the race. Runners would get a drink handed to them, consume it and then toss it. All that was left behind as well as the empty cases and so forth.

Oh, what event was this... when I hear Ironman, I think of Off Road Racing solo drivers, like Ivan? Then Ralph mentions about clean up after the 1000...

So, it was a foot race that was unfriendly to the environment here, and not an Off Road race! :light::?:

[Edited on 3-19-2013 by David K]

bajaguy - 3-18-2013 at 06:52 PM

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ironman/los-cabos.as...

Archie - 3-18-2013 at 06:52 PM

From "FordIronman Los Cabos" facebook site:

[Edited on 3-19-2013 by Archie]

rts551 - 3-18-2013 at 07:18 PM

I see nothing but positive stuff on the facebook page. Negative stuff must have been deleted.

I surely hope they organize cleanup crews. You can see them tossing trash when it is televised. bike races too..trash receptacles maybe???

BajaBlanca - 3-18-2013 at 08:52 PM

wow, that is terrible. Sure hope they cleaned up after all.

capt. mike - 3-19-2013 at 09:42 AM

seems mexican authorities never enforce clean up on events. Their own people seem not to care.

Jim/Liisa - 3-19-2013 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
seems mexican authorities never enforce clean up on events. Their own people seem not to care.

I personaly think thats the way they have been brought up. On hollidays the beach area in front of our houses is full of trash leaving it up to us to clean it up.

DENNIS - 3-19-2013 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim/Liisa
I personaly think thats the way they have been brought up.

Makes one wonder what the procedure is in all those bathrooms without TP. :?:

willardguy - 3-19-2013 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I personaly think thats the way they have been brought up.

Makes one wonder what the procedure is in all those bathrooms without TP. :?:
granola bar wrappers?

bajajudy - 3-19-2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

I personaly think thats the way they have been brought up. On hollidays the beach area in front of our houses is full of trash leaving it up to us to clean it up.

I did not start this thread to trash the Mexican people who had very little if anything to do with the mess left behind from the triatheletes from all over the world. This is an issue for the event planners or lack of planners.
The trash is still there. I will take a bag down and pick up all the plastic water bags that are under the bridge so they dont wind up in the estuary.

windgrrl - 3-19-2013 at 12:45 PM

Awesome work, Judy. The trash tossed everywhere may not be our fault, but it is our shared problem.

I collect the trash that washes in on the beach on my daily walks in Baja and in Canada. I think there may even be an opportunity here and am wondering if I could even fund my retirement by collecting the refundables tossed aside in my home town! I make about 50 cents/week without trying.

On a more serious side...the Ironman should either have a better policy or monitoring regarding non-refundable crap. Maybe before they announce the winners, the participants should have to run the race backwards and clean up after themselves.

Hook - 3-19-2013 at 01:14 PM

It's a little impractical to expect contestants to pick up their trash. But it's not impractical to expect the organizers to take care of this.

I'd suggest taking some pics and sending it to a large media outlet, with details. This is just about the largest triathlon organization in the world, isnt it? It's the only one I have ever heard of, though that's not saying much. They wont want the bad pub, especially if they are deleting negative posts on their Faceplant page.

Eco-reporters for the big media outlets are always looking for a juicy story. OK., maybe it's not Greenpeace juicy, but there are slow days in news reporting.

windgrrl - 3-19-2013 at 01:18 PM

What's practical about the Ironman?

Just kidding...I agree the negative publicity might be an incentive to be a more responsible entity.

;D,
W

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2013 at 01:23 PM

dont organizers need a permit? organizers should be required to post deposit or bond, not to be released until restoration/cleanup is verified/accepted by city.

Hook - 3-19-2013 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
dont organizers need a permit? organizers should be required to post deposit or bond, not to be released until restoration/cleanup is verified/accepted by city.

AND a receipt from the landfill is in the hands of the organizer from the persons they hired to do the cleanup.

It's common over here to see construction scrap just dumped in the desert because the workers responsible are lazy or just dont want to pay for the dump fee and the fuel to get there. That needs to be negotiated up front, as part of their fee.

So, we insist on receipts from our workers or they dont get paid.

It is the SINGLE biggest cause of trash, IMO, in San Carlos. We actually have trash service in SC, so household trash is not the problem. It's ugly, non-biodegradable construction crapola.