BajaNomad

Sprinter in Baja

Zubeone - 3-18-2013 at 04:52 PM

For those of you wondering about Mexican diesel for your ultra low sulfur (ULS) or Blutec engines.
Just got back from 3 weeks in Baja. I put around 5 tanks of Mexican diesel into my 2008 Sprinter without any noticeable impact on the MPG, performance, or the malfunction notices. I used a ULS diesel additive to keep the injectors clean, but forgot to use it a couple of times, no problem. I went past Mulegé and never found a Pemex station that was marked any different than any other, so I couldn't verify some reports that ULS diesel is available as far as Ensenada. None of the attendants had a clue of the diesel that they were selling. The only issue a couple of times was the unavailability of car-sized nozzles, not a major deal. The price went up while I was down there and it now is at $3.40/gal. Average MPG on a fully loaded Sprinter 2500 DIY conversion was 19.2.

DENNIS - 3-18-2013 at 05:07 PM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Zubeone.
Thanks for the fuel report.

David K - 3-18-2013 at 06:36 PM

Ultra Bajo Azufre Diesel (UBA) is on the Pemex signs were newer Ultra Low Sulfur diesel is sold... You can see it on El Rosario's (Baja Cactus) Pemex sign.

In Baja Sur, there used to be just Bajo Azufre (Low Sulfur) signs and no Ultra. :light:

[Edited on 3-19-2013 by David K]

vgabndo - 3-19-2013 at 01:53 PM

Nice milage! My old 24 valve Cummins will burn anything, but we honestly couldn't get 13 mpg with an 11,000 GVW. Pemex at Viscaino was $3.33 our first time through this trip.
We came home to $4.80 in BakersDiego.

Vince - 3-20-2013 at 10:49 AM

Mexican diesel has improved. In the '70's we would take our cars down on Sunday mornings to fill up @ 19 cents a gallon. You could smell the sulfur in the exhaust. I think it was responsible for engines giving out earlier than they should have. The higher price comes with a longer lasting engine which is worth it.

durrelllrobert - 3-20-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zubeone
For those of you wondering about Mexican diesel for your ultra low sulfur (ULS) or Blutec engines.
Just got back from 3 weeks in Baja. I put around 5 tanks of Mexican diesel into my 2008 Sprinter without any noticeable impact on the MPG, performance, or the malfunction notices. I used a ULS diesel additive to keep the injectors clean, but forgot to use it a couple of times, no problem. I went past Mulegé and never found a Pemex station that was marked any different than any other, so I couldn't verify some reports that ULS diesel is available as far as Ensenada. None of the attendants had a clue of the diesel that they were selling. The only issue a couple of times was the unavailability of car-sized nozzles, not a major deal. The price went up while I was down there and it now is at $3.40/gal. Average MPG on a fully loaded Sprinter 2500 DIY conversion was 19.2.

Just checking: as of 3/10 diesel was 11.5 P / litro x 3.78 l/gal = 43.47 p /gal divided by 12.4 p/ $ = $3.50 gal. Your math is almost good.

monoloco - 3-20-2013 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by Zubeone

Just checking: as of 3/10 diesel was 11.5 P / litro x 3.78 l/gal = 43.47 p /gal divided by 12.4 p/ $ = $3.50 gal. Your math is almost good.
You forgot to factor in the 10-15% they short you at the pump.:lol:

Zubeone - 3-20-2013 at 07:32 PM

Almost good math is like a little pregnant, there is no such thing. My numbers were a little different than yours; Mexican diesel 11.42 p/liter, 3.7814 liters/gal, $12.50/mex peso, rounding down ...
The numbers will change again depending on the daily fluctuation of the dollar against the peso and the rounding of the factors used, as well as the price of fuel in Mexico. Whoever reads these posts knows that and will use the numbers only as a guide. Your point?

BajaBlanca - 3-20-2013 at 10:05 PM

welcome to bajanomad ZUBEONE !