BajaNomad

L.A. Bay Nomads: Graham is ready to get off the island

David K - 3-18-2013 at 06:27 PM

Bonnie just called and told me of Graham's new Spot message... All is ok, but he is done on the island... so whenever word can get to Igor or who ever was the panga operator, that as weather allows, he will be ready for pickup.

tripledigitken - 3-18-2013 at 06:44 PM

DK,

"Trip over" , I hope that means just the island not the entire adventure.

Any thoughts?

This was to be a two year trip.

Ken

David K - 3-18-2013 at 06:49 PM

Yes, only the island part was (originally) up to 2 months, and he is done with it after 5 weeks...

Ateo - 3-18-2013 at 07:07 PM

Good for him! Always a good thing to know when you're "done" with a place and ready to move on.

Barry A. - 3-18-2013 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Good for him! Always a good thing to know when you're "done" with a place and ready to move on.

Yep, and "5 weeks" is a longggggg time.

New adventures await him.

Barry

mcfez - 3-18-2013 at 10:36 PM

Who has the cold beer for him? :-)

I get the first book about this trip Graham!

larryC - 3-19-2013 at 07:23 AM

I think I could've been done on the island in 5 hours. I'll let someone know he is ready to come back. I think "Kiwi Larry" took him out there and has taken him supplies periodically. Larry also monitors Grahams spot locations so he probably already has the info.

David K - 3-19-2013 at 08:56 AM

Thanks Larry... Last night, Bonnie mentioned Igor... and Mike Essay... I asked her to call me back if she needed more assistance in contacting someone in L.A. Bay.

micah202 - 3-19-2013 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

.....maybe he's been reading 'what is west' and wants to try the wilderness-hospitality tour of baja instead!!:tumble::tumble::tumble:

[Edited on 3-19-2013 by micah202]

encanto - 3-19-2013 at 11:14 AM

Hola everyone. First of all, thanks David for being out there with posting Graham's trip locations and all that you do. Rogelio at Villa Bahia brought him out there in February and is able to pick Graham up, unless someone else is planning on making the trip. I think Graham has a radio and could try to hail a panguero, but Roger is willing.

I did not know Larry had supplied him so before I ask Roger, is Kiwi Larry out there?? You nomads are very appreciated--thank you, Bonni M.

David K - 3-19-2013 at 03:36 PM

The pleasure is all mine, Bonni... I think sharing an adventure is great for Baja and for the adventure lovers in most of us! I appreciate Graham asking me to do such a fun thing as this is for me.

I am sure we all are looking forward to a report from Graham... and thank you for sharing him with his crazy Baja fans who enjoy his trip stories and books.

David K - 3-19-2013 at 05:42 PM

Another Spot came in this afternoon... same message.

encanto - 3-20-2013 at 05:53 AM

If the weather permits, Rogelio is going out to the island this morning to collect Graham. Thanks again Villa Bahia!!!

larryC - 3-20-2013 at 07:03 AM

I talked to Graham yesterday on the radio and as his message said "all is well". I also talked to Kiwi last night and he is going to check on Graham in the afternoon so if Roger isn't able to get someone out there in the morning, then Kiwi Larry will handle it in the afternoon. Situation handled.
Larry

mcfez - 3-20-2013 at 07:24 AM

Is Graham at the same cove that he stayed at years ago....for the -Marooned With Very Little Beer- book ?

OCEANUS - 3-20-2013 at 07:31 AM

No. For his previous "Marooned" trip, his camp was based further south along the same side of the island inside a safe anchorage bay called Este Ton.

If you look at Graham's Spot position on his current trip, his camp was tucked up behind a headland. It's all speculative, but he may have decided to camp there to either keep out of the wind, keep out of view, or maybe he's really on the beach and the Spot position has a margin of error.

Either way, Good Job Graham! I can't wait to hear of the adventures from this trip.

mtgoat666 - 3-20-2013 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

looks like a great desert island to camp on.
public or private land? is a permit required to camp there or otherwise be on island?

encanto - 3-20-2013 at 09:37 AM

OK, Roger just emailed that someone called on the radio last night and is going to get Graham--Roger did not end up going. TY

David K - 3-20-2013 at 09:37 AM

Graham did not want to be in a 'public area' where he would feel compelled to clean up the mess those fishermen left, if you recall the book story. Hard to relax with a lot of what those guys were doing, right next door to Graham's tent, too!