BajaNomad

Karma Deposit

Bajaboy - 3-23-2013 at 12:32 AM

We're back home but not as planned. We were supposed to camp at Gonzaga Bay tonight but things changed in a NY minute.

About 10 miles south of Gonzaga, we drove up on a group of motorcycle riders. One of them took a spill at high speed on a sandy section. He was a bloody mess and Mikayla, my daughter, was pretty upset by it. We took him to the medic at the military checkpoint in the village. He did his best to clean up Hector but we all agreed that he needed to be hospitalized. We opted to take him to San Felipe a few hours north.

It was a tense drive but we made it. Hector was in and out of consciousness so they talked about moving him to a bigger hospital. He kept insisting on giving me money but I refused....I said his misfortune provided me an opportunity to teach my kids about karma and doing a good deed without expecting anything in return. I hope to hear about Hector's progress tomorrow. My thoughts go out to Hector and his family.

Otherwise a great trip....report and pics in a day or two.

Zac

BajaBlanca - 3-23-2013 at 03:40 AM

Sounds like Hector is a lucky guy to have had you be the person driving by. Kids do get upset about blood, it can be scary. Positive thoughts for H.

dtutko1 - 3-23-2013 at 05:56 AM

Good on you Zac. What a great lesson in life for your daughter. This act of kindness shows her what your values are and what you would like her values to be.

acadist - 3-23-2013 at 06:35 AM

The true Baja spirit! Get well soon Hector!

mcfez - 3-23-2013 at 07:10 AM

desertcpl - 3-23-2013 at 07:33 AM

good job,,

but I didn't know you had a daughter?

Bajaboy - 3-23-2013 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
good job,,

but I didn't know you had a daughter?

nbacc - 3-23-2013 at 07:37 AM

Good job...........hope we would all have done the same! Nancy

Mulegena - 3-23-2013 at 07:42 AM

Well done, all 'round.

Good Thoughts to Hector's recovery.

shari - 3-23-2013 at 08:24 AM

Isnt is amazing how mystical life is...you were in the right place at the right time to help a fellow traveler AND teach a valuable lesson to your children....bravo Zac. You were in the right place here too....

KASHEYDOG - 3-23-2013 at 09:15 AM

Great job, Zach....:yes: I'm sure Mikayla will never forget this act of kindness and it will have a profound positive influence on the rest of her life.
BTW you're a lucky man to have such adorable kids. I really enjoyed having them on Shari's whale watching trip this past Monday. Made my day....:yes:..:yes:

dtbushpilot - 3-23-2013 at 09:28 AM

Great job Bajaboy and a great example for the kids.

jeans - 3-23-2013 at 09:44 AM

You're a good man, Zac.

Terry28 - 3-23-2013 at 09:49 AM

It never hurts to make deposits ahead of time in the "Good Karma Bank"!!

Lee - 3-23-2013 at 10:21 AM

And it's called paying it forward. Charity is acting as God's hands. Right place right time. Bravo!

woody with a view - 3-23-2013 at 10:25 AM

we're glad to call you and your family "Amigos!"

elgatoloco - 3-23-2013 at 10:40 AM

Nice job Zac! Look forward to your report.

willardguy - 3-23-2013 at 10:58 AM

not to mention the value of keeping the rubber side down! hope he's alright.
were you able to hook up with jim and marie?

Bajaboy - 3-23-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
not to mention the value of keeping the rubber side down! hope he's alright.
were you able to hook up with jim and marie?

We stopped by on Sunday but they were at a St. Patrick's Party at Alfonsina's. We had hoped to visit with them last night....ni modo.

And thanks everyone for the kind words. My son woke up today and reminded us all that "we help people out of the goodness of our hearts" to which I smiled.

Jack Swords - 3-23-2013 at 11:07 AM

Zac, you're a great example for all of us. Thanks.

DavidE - 3-23-2013 at 11:29 AM

ĦTwo Ears And A Tail! I have great hope for his survival and 100% recovery. One thing you can bet on. He will never forget the act of humanity you performed and who knows how many folks he will champion you are your efforts to.

ĦBRAVO!

CaboMagic - 3-23-2013 at 12:02 PM

Zac - echo the others comments ...

... here is something I do my best to "be and say" at least once per day "Kindness is contagious - pass it on"

You are an angel on earth ..

... good thoughts and prayers to Hector for a full recovery.

vgabndo - 3-23-2013 at 12:19 PM

I believe in paying it forward. I needed help this trip, fortunately only my truck was bleeding! I got back the same attitude I've always tried to carry. Even the guy who charged me 600 pesos to damage my truck was smiling in the end! (I assume) Best wishes to the damaged rider.
I trust that Zak does not believe himself exceptional, it is just the way that conscious people operate in a world where many people simply ignore unpleasantness.

Good on ya' brother.

jbcoug - 3-23-2013 at 02:18 PM

The world needs more like you, and the way you are raising your kids is going to create two more! Keep it up, you're appreciated!!!

John

Bajaboy - 3-25-2013 at 06:52 PM

I finally got word about Hector. His brother picked him up from the hospital in San Felipe late Friday/early Saturday morning and took him back to TJ. A plastic surgeon immediately started working on his face. I guess some broken bones and major cuts. He also had some damaged or broken vertebrae. But it sounds like he is going to recover. He was very gracious.

Zac

woody with a view - 3-25-2013 at 06:57 PM

let us know how Hector progresses.

Bajafun777 - 3-25-2013 at 10:28 PM

Good Job Bajaboy, had a similar incident last year by Ruben's Dos Palms and come to find out the guy who's Suv got hit and flipped several times we helped with the police and making sure he got back to his place we learned he was a brother of another man we had met in Las Gaviotas and that lived there. We got a message to the brother and he came down to check on his brother and my wife with her Spanish made sure the Feds knew he was the victim not the bad driver. This bad driver who had no license and it was not even his car so his running a stop sign was totally his fault. My wife took pictures before the Feds got there and got his insurance stuff together from the Suv as he was totally out of it for a while. We sent the pictures to his brother so they would have it for the insurance and the Feds eased up when they saw he had insurance and that others were watching out for the victim.

Hopefully, people will get more courage to stop and see if they can be of some help in accidents, as just thinking the guy behind will stop is just that a "What If" that rarely happens. Again, great you stepped up to help and I am sure Hector will talk about your caring years from now. Take Care & Travel Safe--------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

motoged - 3-26-2013 at 11:51 AM

It is so important to help those at such times....

Karma is often misunderstood, but here is some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_in_Hinduism

http://www.shaivam.org/hipkarma.htm

Some folks of a different religious persuasion might not accept these notions, but also might have their own belief structure that can allow them to appreciate and respect the concept :saint: