SATMEX 8 (Replacement Satellite for SatMex 5) Launch Today

BCSTech - 3-26-2013 at 11:11 AM

From Satellite Today:
Quote:
Mission Control: Satellite Today and ILS
SATMEX 8… Launch today!
Brought to you by SatelliteTODAY.com

SATMEX 8

View the SATMEX 8 Live Webcast TODAY (http://accessintelligence.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vils13/i1...)

78th ILS Proton Launch
March 26, 2013
Webcast begins: 2:45pm EDT/ 12:45am Baikonur (March 27)

Liftoff: 3:07pm EDT (March 26) / 1:07am Baikonur (March 27).

Don’t miss history in the making as SatelliteTODAY.com brings you a live webcast of the first ILS Proton launch in 2013, and the first SATMEX Satellite launched on an ILS Proton.

Join our team today as we witness the launch of the SATMEX 8 satellite.

International Launch Services (ILS) is a world leader in providing launch services for global commercial satellite operators and has the exclusive rights to commercially market the Proton launch vehicle.

SATMEX 8 is a high-power C- and Ku-band satellite that will replace SATMEX 5 and will provide fixed satellite services in North, Central and South Americas.

Don’t miss the momentous event when the ILS Proton launch vehicle, utilizing a 5-burn Breeze M mission design, will lift off from Pad 39 at Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, with the Satmex 8 satellite on board.

Broadcast starts 20 minutes before launch, with the live launch today at 3:07pm EDT (March 26) / 1:07am Baikonur (March 27)!
Many HughesNet customers in the US and Mexico are commissioned on SatMex 5. This bird has been crippled virtually from its initial lanch. Hopefully, the upgrade to SatMex 8 will improve service.

oladulce - 3-26-2013 at 11:19 AM

Alan
I can't remember if we're on SAT MeX 5 or 6. Does it say somewhere on my Hughes net System info page? It says "satellite 117 West" on my info.

BCSTech - 3-26-2013 at 11:22 AM

That's SatMex 5 at 117° West :)

Bob and Susan - 3-26-2013 at 12:28 PM

alan...when can we use it and do we need to move the dish

BCSTech - 3-26-2013 at 01:46 PM

Probably in a month or two after all the testing is done and ILS turns the keys over to SatMex.

No dish move needed. The two satellites will be co located as they will gradually transfer traffic from 5 to 8 over time. You should not need to do anything.

Biggest worries were that SM-5 would fail before they could get a replacement up there. Now, they just need a successful final deployment of SM-8.

This is Rocket Science :)

gpm414 - 3-26-2013 at 04:15 PM

This should be good news for all of us in BCS that are on Sat Mex 5. I know we've been living by a thread and bounced around to what ever transponder was still working...currently on 961. Look forward to the change over and keeping my fingers crossed that HN will support our 7000 modems on the new bird...if not its back to driving to the internet cafe once a week :no:

[Edited on 3-26-2013 by gpm414]

walters886 - 3-26-2013 at 11:48 PM

Space bird freaks can find additional info here:

http://www.spaceflight101.com/satmex-8-proton-launch-updates...

Critical fifth burn spacecraft separation from Bris-M upper stage occurred a few hours ago at T+9:12:45. Spacecraft telemetry reports all systems operating nominally (healthy).

Hardcore interested fans can call the company status line morning at 650-852-6977 for a brief update.