BajaNomad

Could not use ready lane

mirko - 4-4-2013 at 11:01 AM

I crossed at San Ysidro yesterday, Wednesday 4-3-13. I saw no signage telling me where to get into the ready lane, using my passport card. Only signage was "San Diego, Hwy 5" which put me into the regular lane.

Curious as to where to turn in TJ in order to catch the ready lane. It took us 2.5 hours to get to the gate. The officer only kept us there about 10 seconds after looking at our cards but the wait to get there was too long in my book. What's the best wasy to get to the Ready Lane from TJ.

Lastly, how long and how expensive is it to get an Entri pass? I only go to Mexico a couple of times per year but I suspect that will increase. My record is as spotless as the driven snow, so that should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance

San Ysidro Access to the Ready Lane

Gypsy Jan - 4-4-2013 at 11:35 AM

Is very confusing right now. There is an information number on the government website, if you are patient enough to wait for an actual live person to answer the phone.

The Ready Lane crossing at Otay is very well signed and easy to find.

BajaGeoff - 4-4-2013 at 01:21 PM

Here is a video we did that shows how to get there. Recent construction has changed the route a bit...but this will give you a general idea.

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/directions/video_rea...

DENNIS - 4-4-2013 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Recent construction has changed the route a bit...but this will give you a general idea.

A bit? Half the road is gone. Going straight over the hill at the end of the Toll Road, then down Second Avenue, puts you right back on the road in the vid.

Ateo - 4-4-2013 at 02:42 PM

Wow. They recently changed the ready lane access at SY?

Sentri

dpwahoo - 4-5-2013 at 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mirko
I crossed at San Ysidro yesterday, Wednesday 4-3-13. I saw no signage telling me where to get into the ready lane, using my passport card. Only signage was "San Diego, Hwy 5" which put me into the regular lane.

Curious as to where to turn in TJ in order to catch the ready lane. It took us 2.5 hours to get to the gate. The officer only kept us there about 10 seconds after looking at our cards but the wait to get there was too long in my book. What's the best wasy to get to the Ready Lane from TJ.

Lastly, how long and how expensive is it to get an Entri pass? I only go to Mexico a couple of times per year but I suspect that will increase. My record is as spotless as the driven snow, so that should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance
About 240 dollars total for my wife and I, Good for 5 years.

BajaGeoff - 4-5-2013 at 10:32 AM

Dennis....I was referring to the construction and concrete barriers that currently has the Ready Lane access blocked at the glorietta east of Pueblo Amigo as the video shows.

Bob H - 12-23-2014 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
Here is a video we did that shows how to get there. Recent construction has changed the route a bit...but this will give you a general idea.

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/directions/video_rea...

Is this video directions to ready lane at SY still correct? Seems so confusing....

BajaBlanca - 12-23-2014 at 08:06 PM

Verrry confusing. We have crossed three times int he last three days and even today we got off on a wrong lane.

Rtyyuiioohhhgrrrrrrrr

And let me tell ya, I have never met anyone as savvy as my husband Les for getting around. He takes the cakes when it comes to directions.

BajaBlanca - 12-23-2014 at 08:11 PM

I forgot to mention an interesting thing

For the first time ever, when we got to the gate today, the officer asked how long it had taken us?

It was only 35 minutes but how cool, really, that he was concerned.

redmesa - 12-23-2014 at 08:22 PM

Clearly, not a route for a novice like myself.

Tioloco - 12-23-2014 at 08:33 PM

Bajablanca-
We have had U.S. Customs ask how long we waited several times.
They have a current wait time for each port of entry. We have found it to be pretty much useless- (Actual wait 3 hours when their info shows 40 minutes.) For what it is worth , I doubt he asked out of courtesy.

DENNIS - 12-23-2014 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

how cool, really, that he was concerned.

Actually, he couldn't have cared less. His was a question to establish your level of distraction, and had you been transporting a trunk full of contraband, your nervous reply may have indicated a need for a closer look.
It's a common tactic used by customs.

Bob H - 12-24-2014 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

how cool, really, that he was concerned.

Actually, he couldn't have cared less. His was a question to establish your level of distraction, and had you been transporting a trunk full of contraband, your nervous reply may have indicated a need for a closer look.
It's a common tactic used by customs.

BINGO!