BajaNomad

SAN JAVIER day trip April 2013

BajaBlanca - 4-6-2013 at 10:29 PM

we went to san javier a couple days ago. it took us around 45 minutes once we got on the paved road. the road is TREACHEROUS:

we ate some awesome mango filled cookies that this lady made:

we stopped by THE PALAPA and met this guy who just moved from loreto to san javier to help his aunt run the restaurant:

I found this pencil holder in the back of the shop and I love it:

It was a wonderful day trip to one of my favorite out of the way villages. There is a man who built and is still building some cabanas - they are VERY RUSTIC but built with tons of TLC. I suggest anyone that go there take something for him to use such as towels or decorations as it is bare. He was so proud of his work !

we did not stop by, but were told there is a woman named Ana who has rooms for rent too.

san javier is one of those special out of the way villages that everyone should go to at least once. this was our 2nd trip there.

BajaBlanca - 4-6-2013 at 10:32 PM

forgot to post these ...

the main road in front of the church

and the church, por supesto:

and I forgot to mention that san javierans sell homemade wines, extra virgin olive oil that is out of this world delicious, jams, cookies, arts and crafts and honey. quite an industrious village.

[Edited on 4-7-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Islandbuilder - 4-6-2013 at 10:39 PM

Great report Blanca. We visited San Javier in February, and it was a highlight of our trip. The drive was beautiful, but the road is hanging by a thread as it winds through the mountains. Looks like it's one good storm away from not being there at all!
We bought a bottle of wine there that was pretty good! Wish we had bought more.

Thanks for the memories!

DianaT - 4-7-2013 at 10:10 AM

Love San Javier --- thanks for the trip up the road. Last time we were there was before the road was paved and at that time, it was a good dirt road.

If memory serves me, and it does not always do so, one of the big storms hit not too long after the pavement happened and it immediately started to undermine the road.

And now, from your pictures, what a mess! For the sake of the locals, I sure hope they can repair it!

TMW - 4-7-2013 at 11:00 AM

Beautiful place and the pictures are great. Wow what can one say about the road other than be careful.

Frank - 4-7-2013 at 01:30 PM

Thanks for the report Blanca. We will be visiting San Javier during our trip in June.

liknbaja127 - 4-7-2013 at 06:02 PM

That place is one of the most beauliful's place's in the Baja!
We were up there in November, the road was in a bad way.
still a great place to vist. great pictures.

cliffh - 4-8-2013 at 07:49 AM

Great pics., see you soon C&C

BAJACAT - 4-9-2013 at 10:21 PM

love that place, miss the old road,this new rd soon will be like the old road...yikes..
thanks Blanca for posting the pix..