BajaNomad

Where's The Bait?

Russ - 4-7-2013 at 07:54 PM

This week we've had the sardineros off the mouth off Bahia Conception. I thought I heard bait ball but it was a huge flock, or what ever, of cormorants. I'm talking about about a thousand of them. Not grebes, cormorants. Never saw so many before. So between the cormorants and the sardineros our bait doesn't stand a chance. It's sad but this is how the Mexican Government protects the Bahia Concepcioin
Most of the cormorants had taken off by the time I got the camera out but you can see a portion of the size of the flock.

The sardineros are not only here in the Bahia but working this whole area. Photos two days ago. About six boats I could see worked this area for three days and only two today. Sorry about the quality of these but they're six miles away.

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by Russ]

Hook - 4-8-2013 at 06:11 AM

We have tons of bait inshore over here right now, Russ. It's making it hard to catch yellowtail as they are boiling on these microbaits on the surface. It's run and gun fishing and throwing tiny chrome or white spoons or hard baits.

No seiners over here. Guess they are all over there.

Russ - 4-8-2013 at 07:06 AM

Haven't seen that kind of bait since.... before you left this side.

chuckie - 4-8-2013 at 07:15 AM

Yellowtail all over..Gorged on microbaits....

Pescador - 4-8-2013 at 12:35 PM

We limited out on Yellowtail in short order, but you have to match the bait. Small Sliders or megabait spoons, in 1 1/2 oz work very well on the boils. They will ignore a well placed mackerel placed in the middle of the boil right now cause they are actively feeding on the hatchling baits. The squid were in the mix yesterday as well, so it is pretty difficult to find "hungry" yellowtail right now, but there are a lot of them and they are easy to find and locate.