BajaNomad

border crossing - Tecate & TJ

Trueheart - 4-10-2013 at 07:54 AM

Just came north through the border and tried Tecate for first time last Saturday. Arriving at 10 minutes to 2PM, we were on our way in the US by 3:05. I hour 15 minutes total.

I'm wondering what the wait time was at TJ last Saturday, so I could compare how much time was saved. Any Nomads happen to know?

BTW, just before entering line, I stopped at the Pemex and got rid of some limons so as to be in compliance with "no fruit". Federal Policia pulled in behind me with lights on, noticing my ATV trailer plate was missing (claimed by one of Baja's off roads). I showed him the current registration and explained. He simply said that in MX trailers are required to have plates and I needed to follow him to the police station to pay the fine. I got a bit testy. "Police station? But I didn't do anything wrong". Then I told him I was prepping to get in line at border and to let me go on my way PLEASE, Por Favor. He got an odd look on his face, then said okay and handed me back my paperwork. No Mordida!

Was also surprised to find an internal (to US) check point along 94 after going through border on way back to SD & 5. Casual conversation there was all, but they are set up to inspect and detain if they deem it necessary.

Final trip note is that we stayed at Baja Cactus on Friday night, room #204 in back, and it was nice. I do question though, why they squeezed the toilet into such a small place when the room is quite large? Ate at Mama's as we arrived kind of late, and the meal was just average at best. We will try another place next time, and arrive early enough to do so comfortably.

bajaguy - 4-10-2013 at 07:57 AM

Next time, just point out all the cars passing you without any current registration or plates.........must have been a slow day.

Ateo - 4-10-2013 at 07:59 AM

I would guess TJ was about an hour due to the temporary increased staffing last weekend. But normal Saturday at TJ would probably be 2 hours.

At least it's not as bad as this one

durrelllrobert - 4-10-2013 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueheart

Final trip note is that we stayed at Baja Cactus on Friday night, room #204 in back, and it was nice. I do question though, why they squeezed the toilet into such a small place when the room is quite large?