Nomad Surfers,
Go find this guy..... :O :fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0GvAXZMjwI

Sunman - 4-11-2013 at 03:47 PM

Far from secret that one.

willardguy - 4-11-2013 at 03:50 PM

well thats what the sign says! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sunman - 4-11-2013 at 03:58 PM

There was a time that they never would have been there in that cute little car :yawn:

[Edited on 4-11-2013 by Sunman]

shari - 4-11-2013 at 04:05 PM

that was a rad session dude...gracias! San igancio has a great point break eh!

Ateo - 4-11-2013 at 04:23 PM

All the best surf spots are on the Sea of Cortez.

woody with a view - 4-11-2013 at 05:06 PM

those guys are part of the problem. go pro has everyone wanting their 15 minutes of fame.... :barf:

this has been beat to death, this is what good roads do for surfers, these guy have lost their soul. you should have seen what san juanico was like in 1991 compared to today.

oh well, this is a waste of breath....

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by woody with a view]

mtgoat666 - 4-11-2013 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
you should have seen what san juanico was like in 1991 compared to today.

you old farts always talk about how things were better back then, the world is going to hell in a handbasket, woe is me, damn punks have no respect for their elders, back when i was young, etc.

just makes me say: i hope i die before i get old!

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by mtgoat666]

willardguy - 4-11-2013 at 05:41 PM

awwww duuuuuude, they didnt have surfboards waaaaaay back in 1991 ! :rolleyes:

motoged - 4-11-2013 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
those guys are part of the problem. go pro has everyone wanting their 15 minutes of fame.... :barf:

Totally !!! Baja moto trails=same thing.....Lizard Lady and ADV Rider has blown it wide open (I have some guilt w/ ADV ride reports....looking for admiration and approval via internet).

And , the world IS going to hell in a handcart (yeah, I know it's the Dem's fault :rolleyes: )....isn't there a Greek philosopher's quote to that effect from two thousand years ago....or maybe it was Skeet:biggrin:

Anyways, lotsa stuff WAS better back then (Annette Funnicello for example , RIP; Cowboy TV shows in B&W, ....)

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by motoged]

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by motoged]

paranewbi - 4-11-2013 at 06:10 PM

My first wife wasn't better back then
My Second wife wasn't either
You can have those days

dtbushpilot - 4-11-2013 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
My first wife wasn't better back then
My Second wife wasn't either
You can have those days

Yea but my third wife absolutely ROCKS!! Sometimes good things come to those who live long enough......I guess this doesn't have anything to do with the old days.....sorry...

MMc - 4-11-2013 at 07:17 PM

Started going to remote Baja to surf starting in '77', Got to know Sean C. by meeting him down there. He didn't like the spot that is featured. There is a reason he didn't post a surf report for the middle on Baja. He did not want to openly encourage surfers to invade some spots. That has also changed with the passing of time. Lone gone are the trips where you didn't know for sure if you were going to score.

A while back there was a discussion on Archeological sites, while reading it I kept thinking this is the same a as surf spot. If you replace Archeological site with Surf spot it is the same. A place that we value that we hate to see harmed or maligned.

We can't stop the world from marching on, but I will continue to call out people for exploiting Baja without concern who it effects.
I have had to help the ill prepared that some more remote spots because of this board.

woody with a view - 4-11-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
you should have seen what san juanico was like in 1991 compared to today.

you old farts always talk about how things were better back then, the world is going to hell in a handbasket, woe is me, damn punks have no respect for their elders, back when i was young, etc.

just makes me say: i hope i die before i get old!

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by mtgoat666]

goat, you can lick me where i crap! i never said anything about "it was better then" i said it sucks now! get your facts straight and then make an appointment to lick me again, please!

i could beat on the fact that you hope to die soon, but i'll be the better man and ignore it. like i said this has been beat to death......:barf:

Ateo - 4-11-2013 at 09:34 PM

I skipped right thru the video at large intervals. Didn't see anything really worth watching.

There is no going back to the old days for anyone. For me that was sponging Ensenada and Newport until some cigarette smoking Bukowski admirer got me on a beat up Takayama at the HB Cliffs for the first time, got me out of my punk rock/goth costume -- then I took his assss to Baja to repay him, where his VW bus blew a head gasket.

We thought we were in a Carlos Castaneda book -- but we weren't. At least not till I went to the mainland later that year.

That sponge I rode got lost somewhere on the road to Punta Baja, along with my friends wallet and drivers license. I think someone took Ecstasy on the cliffs overlooking Punta Cabras in 1995 on that trip.

We are in this together.

This was a random statement.

Me

SwissFrank - 4-11-2013 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
goat, you can lick me where i crap! i never said anything about "it was better then" i said it sucks now! get your facts straight and then make an appointment to lick me again, please!

i could beat on the fact that you hope to die soon, but i'll be the better man and ignore it. like i said this has been beat to death......:barf:

What a foul human being this Woody is. Are there board monitors on here?

motoged - 4-11-2013 at 10:44 PM

euro,
Woody is generally a cool guy....the Goat, like some of us, seems to be an irascible fart....

Some old dogs seem to sniff before they lick....:biggrin:

willardguy - 4-11-2013 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I skipped right thru the video at large intervals. Didn't see anything really worth watching.

There is no going back to the old days for anyone. For me that was sponging Ensenada and Newport until some cigarette smoking Bukowski admirer got me on a beat up Takayama at the HB Cliffs for the first time, got me out of my punk rock/goth costume -- then I took his assss to Baja to repay him, where his VW bus blew a head gasket.

We thought we were in a Carlos Castaneda book -- but we weren't. At least not till I went to the mainland later that year.

That sponge I rode got lost somewhere on the road to Punta Baja, along with my friends wallet and drivers license. I think someone took Ecstasy on the cliffs overlooking Punta Cabras in 1995 on that trip.

We are in this together.

This was a random statement.

Me
we all traveled with Don Juan Matus in the early 70's. its good to know carlos was still relevant (at least for some) into the 90's. :yes:

woody with a view - 4-12-2013 at 05:16 AM

i'm on my own Journey To Ixtlan. to know me is to love me....

MMc - 4-12-2013 at 06:49 AM

I don't know you,but I like you. I think we're the same kind of people.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::biggrin:

CortezBlue - 4-12-2013 at 07:43 AM

Go Pro Cameras are taking over the world!!

pappy - 4-12-2013 at 07:51 AM

yep. internet, gps and go pro cameras are making it too easy for the masses and ruining it for those who did the work prior to all this chit.

btw, i use to date the cousin of the guy that wrote the don juan series.i won't tell you what she told me about it...

durrelllrobert - 4-12-2013 at 08:34 AM

How Surfers Protect Their Special Places?
If they told you how then it wouldn't be a secret. I think it would be better to let everyone know as in MAVERICS at half Moon Bay.

Ateo - 4-12-2013 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
yep. internet, gps and go pro cameras are making it too easy for the masses and ruining it for those who did the work prior to all this chit.

btw, i use to date the cousin of the guy that wrote the don juan series.i won't tell you what she told me about it...

That it was all fake???? Yep.............

Ateo - 4-12-2013 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
we all traveled with Don Juan Matus in the early 70's. its good to know carlos was still relevant (at least for some) into the 90's. :yes:

Yep, I think I read 'em all.....twice!!!

shari - 4-12-2013 at 08:49 AM

reality is all relative brother...one persons reality is another's dream....and visa versa

Ateo - 4-12-2013 at 08:50 AM

My favorite secret spot of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_jzzPXV-z8

DavidE - 4-12-2013 at 01:00 PM

Awwwww damn!

All the old farts have worn-out the water. The waves just cannot get-it-up any more. Like someone driving 500 miles to ski in paradise only to find a single ski track already there going down the slope that cut virgin snow.

805gregg - 4-12-2013 at 05:57 PM

San Juanico was being surfed in1972 by a friend of mine, there are no secret spots in Baja since the early 70's so what

willardguy - 4-12-2013 at 06:13 PM

if I can stray for a moment, the billabong XXL wipeout awards, here's the nominee's. (these aren't your father's wipeouts)!:o

http://www.grindtv.com/action-sports/surf/post/five-vicious-...

woody with a view - 4-12-2013 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
San Juanico was being surfed in1972 by a friend of mine, there are no secret spots in Baja since the early 70's so what

you ARE wrong. i personally know of at least 10 spots you have no clue exist-and i'm just one guy. sure, there were guys before me and there will be guys after me, but i guarantee you will never know these 10 secrets. ENTIENDE?:?:

MMc - 4-12-2013 at 09:21 PM

Woody, All the secret have been discovered, there are no secret spots. Ask me over a campfire I'll give no special beta. All the good spots are gone.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ateo - 4-12-2013 at 09:46 PM

I would agree that there are no secret spots (in Baja) that haven't been discovered. Every inch has been scoped out, but there are places less crowded!!!

willardguy - 4-12-2013 at 09:50 PM

and im sure a young mike hynson and bill fury sat around a campfire with saucer sized eyeballs listening to the likes of dale velzy, pete peterson,bob simmons spin yarns of exotic far away secret spots never seen let alone surfed by ....anyone,,,,,,,,:wow:

Skipjack Joe - 4-12-2013 at 11:18 PM

It's not just the secret surf spots that are disappearing. Baja is disappearing.

We're witnessing an occurence very similar to the late 19th century north american plains. In 20-30 years the buffalo were all gone and the indian nations were on reservations. And a way of life was forever gone, never to be seen again. Those who were present, like us, were fortunate to have seen it all before the change.

paranewbi - 4-13-2013 at 04:52 AM

"We're witnessing an occurence very similar to the late 19th century north american plains. In 20-30 years the buffalo were all gone and the indian nations were on reservations. And a way of life was forever gone, never to be seen again. Those who were present, like us, were fortunate to have seen it all before the change. "

Ok...I vote Skipjack Joe the oldest guy on the board! But I'd like to know who the 'like us' are that were present also for the late 19th century? :spingrin:

woody with a view - 4-13-2013 at 06:06 AM

you haven't yet been reincarnated?

woody with a view - 4-13-2013 at 06:11 AM

every inch of baja has been surfed, no doubt. hey Boo Boo, there are still secrets that your average bear with a go pro doesn't know exists....

Skipjack Joe - 4-13-2013 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
"We're witnessing an occurence very similar to the late 19th century north american plains. In 20-30 years the buffalo were all gone and the indian nations were on reservations. And a way of life was forever gone, never to be seen again. Those who were present, like us, were fortunate to have seen it all before the change. "

Ok...I vote Skipjack Joe the oldest guy on the board! But I'd like to know who the 'like us' are that were present also for the late 19th century? :spingrin:

Sorry for the confusion.

60 years ago Krutch wrote that baja has remained pretty much unchanged since the first conquistadores came. We were lucky enough to see it in that form.

In that way we are like those who saw the west before it was 'tamed'.

[Edited on 4-13-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

woody with a view - 4-13-2013 at 10:42 AM

so these really ARE the good ol daze....

:cool:

pappy - 4-13-2013 at 11:38 AM

ateo-not all of it....(re: don juan)

there are spots that require very particular conditions to work and then you have to get to them. some are not accessible by any kind of road. yes, there are some secrets left here and there.

Ateo - 4-13-2013 at 11:48 AM

Pappy, maybe we can hook up for a surf and discuss sometime.

Dewey - 4-14-2013 at 12:31 AM

I have been surfing in Baja (mostly central Baja) since 1963. What passed for a paved road ended at San Quintin before the river. There are no secret spots, only easy ones to get too, and harder ones to get too. The harder it is to get too, the less people. Trying to find the hard ones is an adventure, and fun. We used to ask the fishermen where they put their boats in the water. (usually a sheltered bay with a point break) As more people began to show up, we would ask if the road went to the water, and was it possible in our vehicle, and went exploring. I never was at a spot that had not already been surfed by someone else.

MMc - 4-14-2013 at 08:34 AM

I speak only for myself. It's not discovering a surf spot or surfing it by yourself. It about adventure, it's about rolling up on a spot and figuring it out. Surfing midday without worrying about drop-ins, how about the crew working a rotation. Camping on the beach and combing through it. Long walks on the beach :lol:.
How different is Scorpion's and Rincon today as opposed to the 80's. It's more like Rincon. Feel free substitute a major Baja break.
Camp on the beach in So. CA, how many places can you do it?
How about beach access in Northern Baja, was it easier 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s?
How many houses can you see while surfing the premier surf spots now, as the 80's or 90's.
I'm as not saying it can"t be done, but is getting more difficult to do. You need to drive farther. As we drive into a place, the road slowing improves and more venture out to it. The posting of the directions (gps points) of a access road reduces the culling that used to take place. It also speeds the improvement of the road.
Many of us hope that the adventure of a surf trip stays around a little longer. Is it changing, are there more people, is the info. available, YES.
Some of us resent folks that drove by it once, or haven't been in 5 years giving it up. They just need not post.
Nobody here can say that the spots we surfed 10 years ago are same, and if we can we aren't posting them here. The guys that don't do surf trips really don't understand and never will.

woody with a view - 4-14-2013 at 10:11 AM

hey Ged, thanks for stirring up the pot amigo! it was getting rather bland in here lately.:light:

woody with a view - 4-14-2013 at 04:32 PM

yeah, Darwin was right! stupidity SHOULD be painful....

motoged - 4-14-2013 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
hey Ged, thanks for stirring up the pot amigo! it was getting rather bland in here lately.:light:

Woody,
Just tried to add a little humour....rather than my occasional vitriolic attack on stupidity :saint:

When I was a 4-year old living in San Diego, I first saw folks surfing.... and was entranced and hooked. Later, growing up in Canada, the closest I came to it was when I started skateboarding in 1963.....even before skateboards had urethane wheels (Skeet, move over :lol: ).

Now it's motorcycles.....

Now, get back to telling folks where to lick :biggrin:

Whale-ista - 4-14-2013 at 07:35 PM

I take a different approach: find new places, leave the "discovered" ones to the newbies as much as possible, and treasure the memories.

So, I haven't been back to Cabo since 1982. How's it going down there? Is the Finistera still the largest hotel out on the point? ;D

pappy - 4-16-2013 at 09:52 AM

whale-ista

i don't think you'd recognize cabo and eatsward. i first went to east cape zone in '80. for a while went there just about every year. skipped a couple years and returned there in '94. couldn't believe how much it had changed. motels, golf courses and houses where none use to be. happened pretty quik-especially for baja.

Sweetwater - 4-16-2013 at 11:17 AM

Folks,

There is 7 going on 8 billion humans walking this planet currently. Those of us who get out and look to find our spots have grown proportionately. And those who have the $$$ can do it even more effectively. My personal story has to do with a love affair with a wilderness region in Wyoming where I grew up. Guess what, it's still wilderness.......BUT........there's oil and gas wells through all the entry ways and the prairie is dotted with wells and roads that didn't exist just 10 years ago. And everybody in the state cheers for the development and energy independence. I can't explain to my 84 yo dad that they're selling and shipping these resources out of the country and that's the motivation.

It is what it is. No point in being egotistical about secrets and who got where first. Enjoy life and appreciate what you get.

Rant over......

PS. I can Google fly through a 10 day backpacking trip in 20 minutes, soon enough they'll Street View it too........:!:

[Edited on 4-16-2013 by Sweetwater]

Pompano - 4-16-2013 at 11:33 AM

Sweetwater....ditto on western North Dakota. Changing so fast you can't recognize it anymore. New roads, thousands of rigs, unbelievable amounts of money for oil leases. Note to anyone looking for jobs....come to ND and go to work immediately. Example: $20 per hour flipping burgers at McDonalds. Downside is...there is no housing left for any reasonable rate.

Boom times? Yes. Ka-Boom times.

As for how surfers protect their secret Baja surf spots, those never were ...or will ever be...secret. They just require some effort and adventure to find, like most of what's great about Baja. Which is good enough.

Here's a tip about the best surf breaks.

Pompano - 4-16-2013 at 11:48 AM

We all pack in ND. So to protect those favorite surf spots, look up my younger sister.

motoged - 4-16-2013 at 02:03 PM

Roger,
OK....I will stand in line.....:saint:

Skipjack Joe - 4-16-2013 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Sweetwater....ditto on western North Dakota. Changing so fast you can't recognize it anymore. New roads, thousands of rigs, unbelievable amounts of money for oil leases. Note to anyone looking for jobs....come to ND and go to work immediately. Example: $20 per hour flipping burgers at McDonalds. Downside is...there is no housing left for any reasonable rate.

Boom times? Yes. Ka-Boom times.

Perhaps this will bring 'home' back to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Eg2D2BsE4

bent-rim - 4-16-2013 at 07:06 PM

I wear a cup to protect my special places. Dirt bikers are always happy to share a new route, I don't get the surfer mentality. I'm too uncoordinated to surf so I boogie boarded instead, nothing like instant gratifacation. There's a great left under the Golden Gate Bridge that starts in November on a incoming tide. The water's so cold that it's never crowded. Same with China Beach and Deadman's. I've been on waves that peel off for about a half a mile at Deadman's. Does that exist in Baja?

willardguy - 4-16-2013 at 07:13 PM

I would have thought sponge would freeze solid up there!:lol:

Pompano - 4-17-2013 at 03:27 AM

an Emerson quote,

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

woody with a view - 4-17-2013 at 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
Dirt bikers are always happy to share a new route, I don't get the surfer mentality.

yeah, i've seen the BFG pit in catavina for the baja1000. five foot high spray painted letters on the boulders looks really cool, dude:barf:!

what don't you get?

btw, Ged has first hand info from some surfers regarding new routes, just so you don't think we are all defined by your stereotype....

bent-rim - 4-17-2013 at 09:09 AM

My stereotyping comes from what I read on the board. I would never spray paint a boulder anywhere, I might releive myself on one though.

Edit: fer spellin

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by bent-rim]

BFS - 4-17-2013 at 11:28 AM

Sheesh, an insane back to back south swell lights up this amazing peninsula and everyone is stuck behind their computadores lamenting some long lost fantasy?? I have news for you... these ARE the good old days.
Just fire up your baja worthy rig of choice and vamonos mierda...

DSC_2108.JPG - 44kB

BFS - 4-17-2013 at 11:30 AM

its just around that next corner. 8 foot and empty...

DSC_2427.JPG - 49kB

BFS - 4-17-2013 at 11:33 AM

or check down another rutted out sandy track and see perhaps 10 foot ploos and, um, empty... But can you make the drop?

IMG_1811.JPG - 48kB

BFS - 4-17-2013 at 11:36 AM

Wake up people, step away from the compu, the sun is rising and its pumping right now, as in April 2013. And no one is out.
And once I fill up the water tank, resupply, and oh yeah do that work thing for a few days again, I will be out there again. Monday am to be exact...

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by BFS]

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by BFS]

DSC_2481.JPG - 48kB

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
[....what don't you get?

btw, Ged has first hand info from some surfers regarding new routes, just so you don't think we are all defined by your stereotype....

A few years ago (2-3) Woody offered me some great info about an area I wanted to explore by moto. He even offered some names of locals to connect with. He did so with no particular request from me other than asking some general questions about an area on this forum....and he did so not knowing me from un otro pendejo en la calle. I have yet to use that info (riding buddies have a race mentality and miss 95% of what Baja is about :( ), but look forward to it on my next Baja trip...

The spray paint thing represents how off-roaders can be a blight (yeah, I know other cretins do the vandalism too) on Baja. It's like thinking you (anyone) are "mingling with the locals" by riding through a ranch or small village and handing out stickers and gum to the kids.

White folks did that a few centuries ago with other trinkets....How did that work out for the locals? :?:

I try my best to tread lightly and stay to the impressions before me (but I have ridden on a few beaches....I regret it as the salt wrecks stuff on the bike and I may have left a bad impression :coolup: )

Woody....thanks for the intel.....waterboarding won't get me to share it.....well, maybe waterboarding.....but without that, my lips are sealed.:cool:

bent-rim - 4-17-2013 at 12:25 PM

I have nothing against Woody. I dig his postings. I was just standing up for myself. Go Kon Tiki Motorcycles.

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 12:31 PM

It's all good....:cool:

woody with a view - 4-17-2013 at 12:48 PM

no worries. it seems like BFS has us all barking about the wrong half of the peninsula!:light:

yuma isn't condusive to surfing when it's pumping.....