BajaNomad

A Baja Legend comes to lunch in Asuncion

shari - 4-12-2013 at 10:32 AM

It was a memorable day when we had the honor of serving lunch here at La Bufadora Inn to a Baja Legend. Malcolm Smith, his son Alexander and a group of 32 riders stopped here to have lunch and relax on our patio before carrying on to San Igancio on their annual Baja trip to raise money for their schools and orphanages. Malcolm won the Baja 1000 six times and the Baja 500 four times and is in the Motorcylce Hall of Fame...famous for videos & film and his work with orphans in Baja.

Riders started arriving early and Tomas & Anaberta (owners of Loncheria Mari) served them delicious tamales, frijoles and jamaica.

The guys really enjoyed kickin back, eating and watching the ocean at the blowhole and it was neat to hear their stories of their ride so far.

Then Malcolm showed up later in his very cool buggy!

We had a nice chat...I didnt realize he's a paisano from Saltspring Island! He was very gracious and friendly and we really enjoyed his visit...and the riders were all really great too...gotta admit I love a guy in riding gear!

Nomad Chuckie who was staying here was pretty stoked he got to schmooze with one of his idols too!

Malcolm collected some cool rocks along the way

and also got a flat fixed by the famous Pato!

After relaxing, eating, drinking and socializing, they were on their way again...hasta la vista Malcolm...via con Dios amigo!

MMc - 4-12-2013 at 11:01 AM

Shari, Wow!! It's amazing the way you have made your town a detestation spot. When you started posting about your town, I wondered how successful you were going to be. The town has always been nice, but so were the other towns along the spur. You have put the place on the map. Because of your love, care and giving, Asuncion has become a player in the tourist world. Good job!! I bet when you started out, you never would have guessed the famous Baja legends would be seeking out you porch as a place to hang. It says a lot to the person you and your family are. Please keep it up.

motoged - 4-12-2013 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Shari, Wow!! It's amazing the way you have made your town a detestation spot....

MMc,
I am sure you meant "destination"....as most do not detest BA :saint:

Shari....he is from Saltspring originally or he has a place there that he visits?....How cool is that? :cool:

So many famous hard-core desert riders enjoying your hospitality :o:o

...just not so famous.....yet :biggrin:

willardguy - 4-12-2013 at 02:29 PM

you too can be part of malcolm's " 7 days of baja " $3,995.00 put it on next years calendar, talk about a blast! :bounce:

DianaT - 4-12-2013 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
you too can be part of malcolm's " 7 days of baja " $3,995.00 put it on next years calendar, talk about a blast! :bounce:

And what does one get for $570. a day. :?::?: :biggrin::biggrin:

motoged, maybe you need to start a new business!

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by DianaT]

willardguy - 4-12-2013 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

And what does one get for $570. a day. :?::?: :biggrin::biggrin:

motoged, maybe you need to start a new business!

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by DianaT]
bragging rights, memories, oh, and a tshirt!:lol:

shari - 4-12-2013 at 02:57 PM

this ride is a charity run folks...all the guys had huge smiles on their faces and seemed very happy with the trip...

MMc...thank you for your kind words...but ya know from the first moment I laid eyes on Asuncion I knew it was a very very special place that people would love to come to if they only knew about it. I thought the same thing about Tofino which was a sleepy little fishing village when I first moved there and it is now world famous.

BajaBlanca - 4-12-2013 at 02:57 PM

wonderful post ! I heard through the grapevine that they were visiting and I was so waiting to see the photos ! great,great all around !

shari - 4-12-2013 at 03:02 PM

Blanca...have you had the pleasure of meeting Coyote (Sederic), Sarah and baby Noah yet? They et out on foot from here a few days ago to walk to San Ignacio and I told them about you....they are an interesting couple from france, italy and mozambique!

vgabndo - 4-12-2013 at 03:04 PM

In March of '08 we encountered that year's crowd at a wide spot south of Catavina. What a cool way to be able to do that ride.

A question for you folks who know about such things. Is this a device to winch the spare back onto the rack?

bb.jpg - 25kB

Pacifico - 4-12-2013 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
In March of '08 we encountered that year's crowd at a wide spot south of Catavina. What a cool way to be able to do that ride.

A question for you folks who know about such things. Is this a device to winch the spare back onto the rack?

It is a spare tire holder... I don't now why the spare isn't mounted there.

MMc - 4-12-2013 at 05:03 PM

Motoged , You are correct sir! Destination the correct spelling.

vgabndo - 4-12-2013 at 05:13 PM

Hi Pacifico...not to hijack the post, but the spare is on the car, and the flat is in the car behind the driver's seat. My question is about the sprockets?, and the cable coming out with a hook on it? I know I don't throw spare tires around the way I used to! Perhaps the old champ has rigged a way to get the flat back on the buggy's rack by himself?

willyAirstream - 4-12-2013 at 06:24 PM

Super cool Shari!
Motoged , come on down for the Mulege 150k offroad in May!
curious about that sprocket too.

MMc - 4-12-2013 at 06:29 PM

The red y or v shaped bar is the handle to screw the bolts holding the tire in the mount. The hook and strap is to keep it from turning. You can see on the left where the strap is attached to the buggy.

acadist - 4-12-2013 at 06:41 PM

Very cool!

woody with a view - 4-12-2013 at 07:01 PM

it's hard to miss Shari and Juan when in the hood! where else would a parched veteran of the Baja desert show up?

jimgrms - 4-14-2013 at 10:32 AM

Malcolm is Just plain good people Knew him since the early 60's Back in San bernardino.

durrelllrobert - 4-14-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Malcolm collected some cool rocks along the way

Are they for added traction in the sand? Are you sure he didn't steal them from you?
Anyway you have to admire his rocks. :lol::lol:

jimgrms - 8-26-2013 at 12:18 PM

Malcolm does a lot of fund raising for different causes , I went on several of his Soboba Indian reservation trail rides ,it was the site of the old soboba grand prix back in the day, Malcolm is one of the good guys .

chuckie - 8-27-2013 at 03:36 AM

I dont know if his book has been published yet...But all us old desert rats need to buy one....Malcolm IS the good guy...