BajaNomad

Mexico Barbie Offends Some

bajaguy - 4-13-2013 at 08:18 AM

Is it the Passport or the Chihuahua????

http://www.kfiam640.com/articles/weird-news-104673/is-mexico...

bajagrouper - 4-13-2013 at 08:24 AM

I love the line in the comments:

Be offended if she doesn't come w/ a passport, has a baby, and gets on welfare!!!!

Ateo - 4-13-2013 at 09:52 AM

They all come with a passport so that takes that out of the equation. The comment about the baby and welfare is uncalled for and BS if you ask me.

Bajaboy - 4-13-2013 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
They all come with a passport so that takes that out of the equation. The comment about the baby and welfare is uncalled for and BS if you ask me.

yep...unfortunately there is plenty of ignorance to go around:no:

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 10:01 AM

If Mattell was a Mexican company, the doll would be an icon on every dashboard in the country and the US southwest, but it needs to have a bobble-head.
Does Mexi-Barbie have a bobble-head? Pile her up with Mexi-Ken and the imagination explodes.

Ateo - 4-13-2013 at 10:04 AM

Does the American Barbie come overweight, with breast implants, an AR15, uneducated about events outside of the USA, and with diabetes?

Hope not, THAT would be a stereotype!!!

:tumble:

captain4tuna - 4-13-2013 at 10:08 AM

No, but it comes with butt implants...:lol:

woody with a view - 4-13-2013 at 10:23 AM

if you aren't offending SOMEONE you aren't doing it right, right?

DavidE - 4-13-2013 at 10:52 AM

Some of the comments here are astonishing. Saddening. My two granddaughters love muñecas on pelo rubia y ojos azules. I do my best to try and convince them that blonde with blue is is NOT perfection. It is not attainable with genetic codes found in Mexico.

You keep telling folks their race is inferior, their appearance second rate and their history and culture of no consequence and pretty soon they start to believe it.

That's when they live down to the stereotype. You come home, find your house burgled, car gets stolen in the night and a gun gets stuck in your ribs. And just think by degrading Mexicans you did everything in your power to make it possible.

Really Intelligent...

And what about her Mexican Chihuahua?

durrelllrobert - 4-13-2013 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If Mattell was a Mexican company, the doll would be an icon on every dashboard in the country and the US southwest, but it needs to have a bobble-head.
Does Mexi-Barbie have a bobble-head? Pile her up with Mexi-Ken and the imagination explodes.

I hear they will cross bred with anything that's handy :lol:

]

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

You keep telling folks ....................their history and culture of no consequence

Awww c'mon, David..............there's a large faction in Mexico that says exactly that about us. They say, since we come from here, there and everywhere, that we have no defineable culture.
How myopic and ignorant of them to not recognize our European roots that make up the varied facets of our culture.........made even more ignorant by their convenient lapse in memory that Mexico too has a European base to her culture, Spain.
The other part of their culture, the indigenous, they relegate to the fields as unimportant and unworthy of reference.

DavidE - 4-13-2013 at 12:07 PM

Dennis, most of "us" are educated. "Most" of us have jobs or retirements or cushions, financial or psychological to fall back on.

If there is a single national plague that infests latin countries, it is an inferiority complex. Look at the novelas, the "estrellas" could all be from Madrid, the wogs are dark skinned.

I remember sitting in the shade of a flamboyan years ago with the neighborhood kids and a Zapoteco ice cream vendor. We spoke about world affairs, celestial events, and things that seem far removed from the reality of Mexican Reality. Then Homero my neighbor and father of the kids asked me one day (translated) "Why are you associating with that Indio?".

The truth was the best possible comeback.

"Because Homero, he is the smartest man in this pueblo".

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
If there is a single national plague that infests latin countries, it is an inferiority complex. Look at the novelas, the "estrellas" could all be from Madrid, the wogs are dark skinned.

Yeah....that's exactly how it is in society here. Some women will look clownish from so much white makeup in their attempt to look Spanish.
In casual conversation, and more than once, I've heard Mexicans deny any blood connection to the indigenous people. It has occured to me on those occasions that some of them honestly arn't even aware of it........like it was never discussed in school, or anywhere.

Along that line, I was talking with a young man recently who had a good education and had never heard the name Joseph Stalin. :?:

sancho - 4-13-2013 at 01:33 PM

Quote:

I've heard Mexicans deny any blood connection to the indigenous

I believe MOST would go to great lengths to put space
between them and their Maya roots, at least urban
Mex Nationals, that may be changing though

woody with a view - 4-13-2013 at 01:45 PM

but they will use an obviously oriental face to sell Comida China, replete with the big rimmed glasses and the buck-teeth.

go figure....:lol:

DavidE - 4-13-2013 at 01:56 PM

Wire brush thickness hair dyed blonde. The ladino racism just does exactly to the indigenas as what european snobbery does to ladinos - gives the indigena a perfect excuse to live down to the stereotype.

With my starvation pension, I cannot reach too far to help people financially. But I do try my best to do what I promise to do. I have run into horrid, snobbish, wealthy Mexicans that look down their nose at me. The only comeback my temper can come up with is "I have 18 years of education and college. It is so obvious you do not".

One time a "Big Wheel" invited us to a grand "comida" at an enramada down on a beach in Michoacan. I suffered two hours of listening to him boast about how wealthy and important he was. I was the only non member of his company. The others ordered shrimp c-cktails, lobster, pulpo, brandy, the works. I limited myself to a Coca Cola because I could not stand the SOB.

The bill came. It was for more than a thousand pesos, way more. He peeled off 500 notes off a wad the size of a softball. We sat there and la masera arrived to find a TEN PESO tip. I looked at her, jabbed a thumb at the jerk (Antonio) and declared "Bancarota". His face turned purple. He slipped her a 200 peso note and glared at me.

Things went downhill from there.

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
but they will use an obviously oriental face to sell Comida China, replete with the big rimmed glasses and the buck-teeth.

Not to mention "Little Black Sambos" all over the place.
Of course, they say the Negritos arn't racist because blahblahblah.

Here ya go Woody:

http://www.lacochinita.com.mx/

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 02:25 PM

Quote:

I've long wondered about the name, "Cochinita' and all I can come up with is a mixture of the words, Cochino [pig]...."Cocina" [kitchen] and Chino [Chinese....or as I believe it's used loosely in Mexico, Oriental]
The logo is definitly a "Tokyo At Sunrise" rendition of a Japanese person and their menu headliner is Teriyaki.

Ahhhhsoooo.............No lacism here. :lol:

Wana See Some High Octane Racism Against Japanese?

DavidE - 4-13-2013 at 03:10 PM

Monkey See Monkey Do

Cochiníta Pibíl. Absolutely fabulous but a tad hard to find in gringoized Baja Californias. Same for Salpicón de Venado. Bajacalifornianos go a long way to heal the vacuum with tacos de pescado.

Search out an early 1940's POPEYE cartoon.

Or go to China where they refer to westerners as "Bignoses".

Haolis

All products of superior inferior intelligence

[Edited on 4-13-2013 by DavidE]

woody with a view - 4-13-2013 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Not to mention "Little Black Sambos" all over the place.
Of course, they say the Negritos arn't racist because blahblahblah.

Here ya go Woody:

yep! those who live in glass houses.... eh, DavidE?

Cypress - 4-13-2013 at 03:37 PM

Some folks are easy to offend. Some folks are hard to offend. Guess it all depends upon their frame of mind.;D

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 03:39 PM

The Japanese know how to handle it. They convinced the Jews to co-opt the term, "JAP" as "Jewish American Princess."
See how simple it can be? If someone calls you a nasty name, make an acronym out of it and pass it on.

Loretana - 4-13-2013 at 03:51 PM

This Mexican female role model gets my vote........

"La Gaviota".....who also happens to be the First Lady.....

DavidE - 4-13-2013 at 03:56 PM

OR

"And I could have sworn you'd have made it through high school"

The jokes are endless, Poles, North Dakotans, People from San Ignacio. There really is no finish.

But the best one's are Blonde jokes

"I can't be overdrawn! I still have checks left!"

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
.....who also happens to be the First Lady.....

During the campaign, that's what they were saying about her husband.
Politics is nasty business. :lol:

[Edited on 4-13-2013 by DENNIS]

DavidE - 4-13-2013 at 04:37 PM

Which proves the point that politicians, actors, lawyers and crooks can be packed into the same trunk without a resulting fight.

woody with a view - 4-13-2013 at 04:45 PM

^^^Like!^^^

durrelllrobert - 4-13-2013 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:

I've heard Mexicans deny any blood connection to the indigenous

I believe MOST would go to great lengths to put space
between them and their Maya roots, at least urban
Mex Nationals, that may be changing though

Same with middle easterners that claim they are Persian rather then Iranian or Iraqi

[Edited on 4-13-2013 by durrelllrobert]

vandenberg - 4-13-2013 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Which proves the point that politicians, actors, lawyers and crooks can be packed into the same trunk without a resulting fight.

Those are synonyms

Pompano - 4-14-2013 at 06:13 AM

Quote:
OR

"And I could have sworn you'd have made it through high school"

The jokes are endless, Poles, North Dakotans, People from San Ignacio. There really is no finish.

But the best one's are Blonde jokes

"I can't be overdrawn! I still have checks left!"

Yah, sure ya betcha...the ND jokes are indeed endless, don'tcha ya know?

Adding more fuel to the flame, our new ND License Plate will no longer read 'The Peace Garden State', but will now read:

"55 Below Keeps the Riffraff Out". :saint:

Skipjack Joe - 4-14-2013 at 08:14 AM

Racism is just one form of contempt.

There is also: you're too fat or too thin. Or you wear glasses (four eyes). Or too rich or too poor. Or too uncoordinated or a jock. Or too cerebral or too simple.

Remember how statified high school was? From the prom queen to the lowly nerd. Thank god that's over. Why, there's stratification even on this board. :o

The cultural anthropoligists must have made sense out of all of this and have an explanation that's more appealing than 'good or bad'.