BajaNomad

2013 Punta Chivato Dorado Tournament

Russ - 4-23-2013 at 03:00 PM

The following press release, April 23, 2013, is for our Bulls Only Dorado Tournament to be held in Punta Chivato, BCS, Mx. June 21, 22, 23, 2013.

The 17th Annual Bulls Only Dorado Tournament will be held June 21, 22, 23, 2013, in Punta Chivato, Baja California Sur, Mexico. It is a fantastic way to spend a long weekend of fishing and fun in Baja. It is held each year in the beautiful community of Punta Chivato, located on the Sea of Cortez.
The event began many years ago as a friendly competition among the local sport fishermen and grew into the great tournament that it is today. We, along with our local Association, support many charities, among them the Magdelena Mountain School and the Santa Agueda School, rural boarding schools for the children from the mountain ranchos, CRREAD, our local boarding facility for drug and alcohol rehabilitation, PAWS, our Mulege area free veterinary clinic for spaying and neutering and other animal care, a Scholarship program for Mulege and Palo Verde students, and Hogar del Ancianos (a home for the elderly) in Santa Rosalia.
There are few things more exciting than hard core dorado fishing action, and this tournament delivers it! As the tournament name implies, we are fishing exclusively for big bull dorado. Boats of all sizes enter the tournament from 17’ aluminum skiffs on up to 40’ cruisers. There are even pangas available for charter, if needed. This year, in addition to our traditional awards, there will be cash prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. ($1,000.00 U.S., $500.00 U.S., $250.00 U.S.).
The weekend is filled with events and activities for everyone. To kick it all off at the beautiful, new Community Center, there is a Captain’s Meeting and Dinner for the Captains and their guests, with the ever popular Calcutta auction, on Friday, June 21, along with our famous beans and burgers cooked by our resident chefs. There are always homemade desserts provided by the neighborhood ladies. With an exciting group start at 8:00 a.m., the competition takes place all day Saturday. Saturday evening is a Hawaiian Luau Baja style no host dinner at the beautiful Hacienda Hotel in Punta Chivato, and Sunday begins with a no host brunch at Los Chibatos Restaurant in Punta Chivato. The weekend winds up with the popular Sunday evening Tournament Awards dinner at our Community Center. That same evening, we also present the winners of the Calcutta with their prize money and present the lucky raffle winners with their goodies!
It is a great opportunity to meet new people, make new friends and enjoy a wonderful event in a beautiful setting on the Sea of Cortez.
Please check out our website for ALL information and entry forms at www.bullsonlytournament.com.

So there is the official announcement. But there is so much more going on during the event. Check out the web page to see what else is happening besides catching the biggest fish in each category.
http://www.bullsonlytournament.com./
On my computer I get a message with this URL. Just click the OK and the page will popup.

[Edited on 4-23-2013 by Russ]

Russ - 5-6-2013 at 05:12 PM

Bump
If you're in the area even if you're not fishing stop by. If you come on Sunday the raffle alone is worth the time and it is a real hoot when your number is read off. Lots of good prizes.
:bounce:

drzura - 5-6-2013 at 06:01 PM

Have you heard of any dorado being caught in the area yet?

Damion

chuckie - 5-6-2013 at 06:08 PM

No..maybe go offshore manana'

Russ - 5-17-2013 at 04:59 PM

I'm still waiting to here of some dorado on the hook. I know there are a few fishermen in Chivato out looking now. When I get back next week I'll let you know if I hear of any. In the mean time make your Plans to Join us for the Bull Only fish off.

Tournament update

Russ - 5-19-2013 at 06:27 PM

Press release for Punta Chivato Bulls Only Dorado Tournament on June 21, 22, 23, 2013.
BIG BUCKS FOR BIG BULLS!!!
For the first time in the 17 year history of the popular Punta Chivato Bulls Only Dorado Tournament, cash prizes will be awarded: $1,000.00 for First Place, $500.00 for Second Place and $250.00 for Third Place, as well as beautiful, hand- made Ibarra plaques that are traditional. According to our Chairman, Phil Davies, these cash prizes have generated lots of interest and advance sign- ups for the tournament this year. In addition to our awards, there are many other raffle prizes and door prizes to be won. Experienced ticket sellers will be on hand to fill up the ticket barrel for the raffle!
The $100.00 entry fee includes: The Captains dinner, beans and burgers with home-made desserts, and no host bar. Non-anglers are welcome for $10.00 per person. Saturday is the fishing day. Sunday, June 23, the Tournament hosts the Awards dinner, fish tacos with all the trimmings, and a no host bar, plus dessert. Non-anglers are welcome for $15.00. Included in the participants packet, are event T-shirts and many nice gifts from our sponsors. A Calcutta will be held Friday at the Captains dinner and the excitement will build as the bidding starts! All of the above events will be held at the new Community Center in Punta Chivato overlooking the sparkling Sea of Cortez.
In addition, on Saturday, a no host Hawaiian Luau Baja style dinner, will be held at the beautiful Hotel Hacienda in Punta Chivato. The price for this very special dinner is $25.00 per person, ($15.00, 8 and under). On Sunday, from 10:00 – 1:00, there will be an “All You Can Eat!” brunch, for $15.00 ($10.00, 8 and under). Reservations for either of these events may be made by calling Ken at 615-104-5722, or see our website: www.bullsonlytournament.com. A portion of the Luau dinner goes towards our community charities and you won’t want to miss it!
Kids Day is Sunday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. on the beach at Punta Chivato. There will be lots of fun games, like Tug of War, gunny sack races, water balloon toss, limbo, sand castle building and zumba Atomic dancing, with prizes and a raffle, JUST for the kids (and kids at heart!). More detailed information will be coming soon. No charge!
All prices are in U.S. dollars. Mexican fishing licenses required. You can go to: www.BestBaja Fishing.com , to check out how to get Mexican fishing licenses on line or through the mail.
Just one week ago, around May 13th, off Punta Chivato, hiding under a big Sargasso paddy, hundreds of schooling dorado were seen! A few were caught and tossed back to tell their friends to eat more, get bigger and get ready for June 22, when the Bulls Only Tournament fishermen will come looking for them!

[Edited on 5-20-2013 by Russ]

chuckie - 5-19-2013 at 06:31 PM

Do we need a grain of salt with that report, or more? We havnt seen any...

chuckie - 5-20-2013 at 05:14 AM

I watch Terrafin closely, and the water temp has cooled off a good deal since last week..We thought agin about heading off shore but maybe not. headed for San Marcos this morning..we'll see what develops...

Russ - 6-4-2013 at 01:29 PM

UPDATE -- from the Bulls Only people

Punta Chivato Bulls Only Dorado Tournament, June 21, 22, 23, 2013
The dorado are not only COMING, they’re HERE! Small to begin with, schooling under the kelp paddy’s, they are quickly becoming tournament size. A report from the Mulege tournament this past weekend says that the winning fish was about 21# and lots of smaller fish were caught. So, we think that in 3 weeks they will all be bragging size!
Sign ups are skyrocketing and boats are expected to cover the bay. Well, that may be a SLIGHT exaggeration, but this year should be a banner year for the 17th Annual Bulls Only Dorado Tournament!
The water is warming up and the favorite haunt of dorado, the kelp paddy, are scattered all around our area. Lots of local boats are reporting catching yellowtail and dorado, along with other species that abound here.
The schedule for the tournament is as follows:
Friday: 6 p.m. Captain’s Dinner for all anglers and their guests, at the beautiful Community Center in Punta Chivato. Angler tickets are included with your entry fee, guest tickets are $10.00. Our renowned chefs will be serving! You can see the raffle prizes, buy tickets, and take a chance on winning big at the Calcutta!
Saturday: The Tournament day starts at 8 a.m. by the launch ramp! Good luck to all (no whales!). Weigh-in any time you have a trophy fish! Lines up at 3:00 and report in to the weighmaster.
Hotel Hacienda will be serving a fabulous Baja style Hawaiian dinner for $25.00. ( 8 and under, $15.00) Part of this goes to our HAPC and charities. Come dine in a beautiful setting with your gracious hosts. Time: 6 p.m. Full no host bar will be available.
Sunday: At the Hotel Hacienda, Los Chibatos will be serving an “all you can eat” brunch from 10 – 1p.m. $15.00. (under 8, $10.00).
Kids Day, hosted by Mark and Monica Fodor, will be from 1-4 p.m. location to be announced, depending on SAND! Prizes too! Adults can play if they promise to act like 5 year olds!
The fabulous Awards Dinner will be held at the Community Center starting at 6 p.m. Our winners will receive the cash prizes and Ibarra plates, hand-made every year especially for our tournament. Raffle prizes will be handed out to the lucky ticket holders, and the Calcutta winners will be announced. Sr. Gecko’s will be cooking our usual fish taco dinner with all the trimmings, at the Community Center! A real feast and a full evening of fun, fun, fun!
Please go to our website for all tournament information:
www.bullsonlytournament.com. Local Mexican phone is: 615-155-7315, Harry and Pam Oxley, or email to: info@bullsonlytournament.com.
We look forward to lots of exciting fishing and the side event, EATING!
Last yeasrs weigh Station

Last years start at 8am

[Edited on 6-4-2013 by Russ]

Pescador - 6-4-2013 at 06:33 PM

I found good dorado this morning between Santa Rosalia and Tortuga (yeah, that is as specific as I am going to get) The temp breaks are all showing 74-79 degrees and I consider 74 the magic temp to get dorado moving. I managed one 25 lb. bull, and another smaller one for dinner. I saw lots of paddies and saw fish under a number of them.

There are lots of paddies in closer in the green water where the chlorphyll charts are off of the books, but in the clear water with a temp difference, the fish are there.