BajaNomad

Famous Citizen of La Ribera

Pescador - 4-27-2013 at 04:00 PM

For those in the vicinity of La Paz, there is a small newpaper called "The Baja Citizen" which I always pick up when in La Paz. John Brooke writes a column called Escapers and he picked a very good friend of mine to write about in the April 16th, 2013 issue. Known as Osprey to most of you, I know him as George Bergin whose ability to take a small story and turn it into intrigue, mystery, and a compelling perception of small snippets of life.

He makes a good point how reading one of George's articles stayed with him for a long time and when he went back to his saved files, he found the original article given to him by George. I do the same and consider the collection of George's writings that I have on a Disc to be one of my real treasures. My favorite makes me smile every time I see a hummingbird and wonder if it had been "colored by George's Rit Dye" .

Hope everyone gets a chance to check out the article.

DENNIS - 4-27-2013 at 04:33 PM

Is there any way to get a link to the paper?

Got it:

http://www.bajacitizen.com/

click on latest editions to get the whole paper.
I don't think the edition we're looking for has been posted yet.

[Edited on 4-27-2013 by DENNIS]

Eastcapers link

windgrrl - 4-27-2013 at 04:45 PM

http://www.eastcapearts.com/eastcapers.html

Another possibility?

Salud,
W

jbcoug - 4-27-2013 at 05:29 PM

Dennis,
Thanks for the link,even though the article mentioned isn't there yet, I found this paper to be very interesting and informative. Will keep looking.

John

Udo - 4-27-2013 at 06:32 PM

I have yet to read about my great buddy, George on either publication, Jim. But either way, I am overjoyed that George has been recognized for what he is, a great writer, humanitarian, and fisherman!

dtbushpilot - 4-27-2013 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I have yet to read about my great buddy, George on either publication, Jim. But either way, I am overjoyed that George has been recognized for what he is, a great writer, humanitarian, and fisherman!

He must be a great writer if you believed it when he wrote that he was a great fisherman :lol::lol::lol:

willardguy - 4-27-2013 at 09:16 PM

"the ability to take a small story and turn it into intrigue,mystery,and a compelling perception of small snippets of life". huh, well heres the last nugget your "famous citizen of la ribera" penned about me.
I don't know WTF our writer friend was talking about, and I can only guess, neither did he!:no:

Osprey
Elite Nomad

posted on 4-19-2013 at 01:15 AM

Willard, I just reported you hoping the moderator will make you go away forever.

Osprey - 4-28-2013 at 07:08 AM

Watchit Willard, I may report you for reminding people I reported you.

Sick racial trash mouth doesn't do well if you want to play with friendly adults on an everyday basis and I think you know that.

watizname - 4-28-2013 at 01:10 PM

I always enjoy Osprey's short stories, as I've mentioned before. :yes::yes:

woody with a view - 4-28-2013 at 01:51 PM

"rabid, attack dolphin at the aquarium" is my favorite.

Udo - 4-29-2013 at 08:07 AM

OSPREY sent me a PM about two weeks ago...

He went fishing on a really calm day, and once he shut the motor off, he could hear whale's puffs, manta ray flights, and other sea creatures.

What a way to commune with nature!

BTW...he skunked on the fishing.

Iflyfish - 4-29-2013 at 09:17 AM

I sincerely hope that one day George's writings will be published.

He has captured like no one else the vicissitudes of life in a Mexican Village.

I marvel at the characters that emerge out of his fertile mind. Like the lotus growing out of the mud I find his stories to be memorable and at times haunting. The mere act of watching his hummingbird feeder can morph into an existential dilemma of epic proportions.

His writing on the people of his Village are full of pathos and a fair portion of bathos. His characters come to life and we see in them and under them their basic humanity. Some of his characters are dark, very dark, sociopaths and scoundrels and their stories twist like ropes in the breeze. His stories of the local Mexicans are always full of awe, wonder and love of the essential Mexican character. I have read few who really get the underlying psychology of the Mexican psyche. His stories abound with insights for expats and visitors to Mexico who scratch their heads and sometimes rage at their cross cultural experiences. George's love of Mexico and it humanity are a thread that winds through all of his life in a Mexican Village stories.

I hope someone will take up the cudgel and see to it that the rest of the world can see what we have in our midst, a fine writer, indeed!

Iflyfishcommiamigogeorge

Osprey - 4-29-2013 at 09:46 AM

Flyguy, Whew, I'm sure glad you got my Email explaining things about me and my writing and thanks for the copy and paste, the above post. I can't see that you changed a thing. Thanks so much. You are a pal.

vandenberg - 4-29-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Flyguy, Whew, I'm sure glad you got my Email explaining things about me and my writing and thanks for the copy and paste, the above post. I can't see that you changed a thing. Thanks so much. You are a pal.

Love your sense of humor my friend, but you should be humbly accept the praises bestowed upon you. You more than deserve it. I, for one, always forward the stories you send for my perusal, instantly if not sooner, to all my buddies and acqaintances up north. So, already your writings reach a number of people, and usually with great response.
No thanks needed. :saint::saint::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-29-2013 by vandenberg]

Iflyfish - 4-29-2013 at 10:12 PM

Your welcome Osprey, I did change some of your spelling and grammatical errors, but hey, none of us are perfect.

Iflyfishwithwordeditor

Skipjack Joe - 4-30-2013 at 12:05 AM

A great deal of praise here. Perhaps it's time to tighten that Pascal's belt a bit, osprey.:lol:

Osprey - 4-30-2013 at 06:31 AM

Skip, Blaise Pascal was a braggart? I did not know that.

Skipjack Joe - 4-30-2013 at 07:38 AM

No, he wasn't a braggart. He would tighten his nail studded belt when people praised him in order to not have it go to his head. A very pious man, was he.

Somehow I feel you know this already.

P.S. I would send one to DK but I don't know his size. It's been fluctuating recently.

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by Skipjack Joe]