BajaNomad

Mayo Festival

tiotomasbcs - 5-1-2013 at 10:16 AM

Let the celebrations begin! Dia del Nino was yesterday and today banks are closed for May Day. Cinco de Mayo parties on Sunday. School parades and Fiestas . Wonderful time of the year. Dia de La Madre is perhaps the biggest! Time to join the locals with a cerveza and perhaps a Margarita or two. Viva Mexico! :tumble::coolup: Tio

durrelllrobert - 5-1-2013 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Let the celebrations begin! Dia del Nino was yesterday and today banks are closed for May Day. Cinco de Mayo parties on Sunday. School parades and Fiestas . Wonderful time of the year. Dia de La Madre is perhaps the biggest! Time to join the locals with a cerveza and perhaps a Margarita or two. Viva Mexico! :tumble::coolup: Tio

Yea, Mexico has twice as many holidays as the US but I used to get the time off plus pay when I worked there. Now that I'm retired in Baja all I get is the time off; same as every other day.

russchung - 5-2-2013 at 08:23 PM

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg, sank and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

[Edited on 5-3-2013 by russchung]

Marc - 5-3-2013 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by russchung
Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg, sank and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

[Edited on 5-3-2013 by russchung]

You got me!:lol::lol::lol:

monoloco - 5-3-2013 at 05:45 PM

Is Cinco de Mayo an actual holiday in Mexico? I thought that it was an invention of the restaurant and bar industry in the US to sell margaritas. It's pretty hard to find many Mexicans who celebrate the day around here.:lol:

Celebrating Mayo

MrBillM - 5-3-2013 at 06:36 PM

NOTHING goes better with French-Fries.

EnsenadaDr - 5-4-2013 at 07:32 AM

Ha Ha...you know what...for a split second I forgot my Spanish and interpreted this as a "Mayo" festival, as in Mayonnaise....and I was thinking what on earth would they do that in Baja for...with the weather being so hot...and culturing all that Salmonella...none of those taco stands I see refrigerate their MAYO!!!

Mex Mayo Street Rule Number ONE

MrBillM - 5-4-2013 at 09:29 AM

Is AVOID.

As much as I like Mayo (especially with Fries), I avoid it like poison with the Taco Vendors.

Which it may well be.

Fish or Shrimp, Tortilla. Forget everything else.

Or B.Y.O.

Star Wars???

bajaguy - 5-4-2013 at 09:33 AM

With all of the talk and celebrations of Cinco de Mayo tomorrow, please don't forget today, May 4th. Today is Star Wars Day

May the 4th.....be with you!! :lol:

tiotomasbcs - 5-4-2013 at 05:10 PM

Cadillac Margaritas. Like Nectar of the Gods! Designated drivers. Tio

Curt63 - 5-5-2013 at 07:26 PM

Dont flip your new quad Tio.

Check U2U

Bajatripper - 5-5-2013 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Is Cinco de Mayo an actual holiday in Mexico? I thought that it was an invention of the restaurant and bar industry in the US to sell margaritas. It's pretty hard to find many Mexicans who celebrate the day around here.:lol:

Right you are on both accounts, Mono. This day has been adopted north of the border as a marketing ploy to sell more Mexican beer, tequila and antojitos.

When I mentioned to my wife (a Mexican) that I was seeing TV ads for celebrating Cinco de Mayo up here in Washington, she found it hard to believe that the day was celebrated north of the border given its status in Mexico.

Happy Holiday

MrBillM - 5-5-2013 at 08:45 PM

The line years ago was that it was invented by Coors to sell more product.

That was back in the day when THAT brand was considered the USA Chicano choice.

In the days before Busch Light became the apparent Brew of choice.

It only makes sense that the Holiday would enjoy increased popularity in Mexico after being more popular en El Norte.

It is, after all, a good excuse to drink Beer.

Which makes it a perfect fit.

Not that an excuse is needed.

Happy Mayo Day...

EnsenadaDr - 5-5-2013 at 08:49 PM

Actually I like Miracle Whip instead of Mayonnaise...anyone with me?