BajaNomad

East Cape Survey 2013

BajaAnthro - 5-5-2013 at 01:14 PM

Hey everyone,

My name is Ryan Anderson. I am a cultural anthropologist from the University of Kentucky who has been doing research about the history and development of the East Cape over the past year. For the last part of my research project I am doing a short ANONYMOUS online survey of the non-Mexican residents (expatriates, retirees, etc) who live on the East Cape. If you have time, please take this survey! Here's the link:

https://redcap.uky.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=zoMLTB

Also, please feel free to pass this link along to anyone you know who might be interested in taking part in the survey.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

PS: If you have any questions please feel free to comment here or email me at: ryananderson@uky.edu

[Edited on 5-5-2013 by BajaAnthro]

woody with a view - 5-5-2013 at 01:48 PM

Ryan, what is your goal as far as collecting data? how will this data be used, and finally, besides a PhD what is the real reason you ask these questions?

all the best in your quest....

BajaAnthro - 5-5-2013 at 02:06 PM

Hey Woody,

My goal with this survey is to get a broader view of some of the opinions of the residents of the East Cape, specifically what they think about "development" in the region. Over the past year I talked extensively with people on one part of the cape (mostly around Cabo Pulmo), but my goal now is to get a better understanding of the bigger picture. Development is often a pretty contentious subject, but one way to move forward is to get a better understanding about what everyone is thinking.

The data will be used for my dissertation--but also in articles (online and print), books, and presentations. As for the real reason why I ask these questions: I have been traveling down to Baja since I was about 15 years old (I am from southern California). It's an amazing place. The first time I saw the East Cape was in 2005--and it was pretty unforgettable. I know there's a lot going on in terms of development, often a lot of disagreement, and I started this research project because I have a genuine interest in the place, and what happens in the future. My longer term goal is to write a book about Baja--it's histories and where things are going in the future. Since there are so many people with so much knowledge about the place, this short survey is a small attempt at learning a bit from folks who have lived, traveled, and known the East Cape for far longer than me. Consulting the real experts is usually the best place to start.

Thanks for your questions--and let me know if there's anything else you want to know!

ryan

woody with a view - 5-5-2013 at 02:10 PM

That should do it. Best of luck on your work!

BajaAnthro - 5-5-2013 at 02:12 PM

Thanks Woody!

r

Osprey - 5-5-2013 at 02:58 PM

Ryan is a friend of mine and he's one of an army of people from all over who realize the value of one of the last vestiges of coral reefs in this part of North America -- it's because of their tireless efforts that Cabo Pulmo park exists. They continue to do all the things science can do to answer important questions posed by current and future managers of peninsula coastline that can be developed without being destroyed, designed to protect the biome and its denizens. Hope you'll take a minute to help.

Thanks

BajaAnthro - 5-5-2013 at 03:55 PM

Thanks for the assist Osprey!

The Sculpin - 5-5-2013 at 11:04 PM

16 lines and bajanthro can't answer woodys question. 5 lines later from Osprey and Woodys question is answered. Is this what academia has come down to? I understand a sensitivity against showing bias, but WTF? I remember the days when you had to go into excruciating detail about every bias you may or may not have. The committee was ruthless! Oh we'll, I'm sounding like an old fart......

BajaAnthro - 5-5-2013 at 11:38 PM

Hello Sculpin,

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to answer.

Thanks,

Ryan