BajaNomad

A few questions Loreto 6-10-14th

aguachico - 5-6-2013 at 07:31 AM

Making my second trip to Loreto. I fished this area for the first time in July 5 years ago. The fishing was great for stripers, sails and dodos. I didn't mark any routes, spots or take any notes.

This time I'm taking my skiff and would appreciate any helpful info on skippering this area.

I'm not looking for numbers of your favorite rocks.

General area for making bait as I remember making both macs and squid outside the entrance before. Areas that hold around that time are most welcome. I don't mind looking for my own fish, but would like to head in the right direction.

Any safety tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm very comfortable fishing the Pacific, but the Cortez, in all it's tranquility, seems to be able to turn upside down very quickly.

My plan is to use the Hotel boat guy to drop me in the water and park my truck at the boat lot. I have heard the parking is not to friendly in Loreto, even though they charge for ramp access.

Is there a friendly dock to tie up to there?
Do I need to obtain Biosphere permits?

I have heard that June can be a transition period between YT and dodo's. Fortunately, my crew member is new to fishing and she is easy to please. My goal is to put her on her first dodo if possible and I hope to get a foto of her face when the first one comes flying out of the water.

saludos y gracias.

chuckie - 5-6-2013 at 08:01 AM

If a "dodo" is a Dorado, should work..water seems to be warming up faster this year, a Sailfishwas spotted last week about 4miles off Punta Concepcion, maybe he/she was just lost....good luck

DaliDali - 5-6-2013 at 08:45 AM

From Loreto......head east into the sun and keep going for about 20 miles.
Drop over some trolling lures and look for anything "funny" on the water.
Funny things on the water can be anything from a floating soda jug, to a scum line, to a patch of seaweed.
Diving or circling birds are a dead giveaway something is going on.

In the Loreto harbor there is only a "courtesy" dock to tie your boat to while securing your boat trailer.

If your hotel guy is handling the launch and the parking of your trailer......don't sweat it then.

Yes you will need a permit to enter the marine park. These permits are available right at the ramp area.
You may be fishing outside the park boundaries but you will be transiting through it.
Buy the permits.

As far as bait goes, there are usually bait sellers anchored right outside the harbor and will sell you live bait. Their boats usually have a light on them. Hard to miss.
If your late getting launched, there is a strong likelihood of these bait sellers being sold out.

In that case, just go without bait and troll the lures.
Some chunks of squid are a decent chum if you find a school of Dorado.

The only hazard is the wind. Outside the islands, to the east, it can get bumpy and downright rough.

Stay well clear of any island points.....often there are "prop busters" lurking just under the surface waiting to eat your prop.

[Edited on 5-7-2013 by DaliDali]

BajaBlanca - 5-6-2013 at 04:56 PM

I can't comment on the fishing, but i recommend the Coco Cabanas to stay at. I recommend the Mediterranean or the The Mission Hotel restaurant to eat at....the latter has a pizza special for 89 pesos on Thursdays.

We are here right now, the breeze and view are just sublime!

Have a fun trip, Art!

Sparetimewanted - 5-6-2013 at 08:46 PM

Art,

This is Rick with your old bait tank. I've been going down there for several years. Two yak trips and several hotel/panga trips.

Yes, can make bait with sabikis. I have caught them in the harbor and outside about 200 yrds outside, where the locals catch it. Last summer it was very hard to find sardina or maks. Take a can of cat food to chum for the bait. As you know, live bait works 10 times better than most everything else.

We have always left our cars in the parking lot of the old La Pinta hotel just a couple of blocks north of the harbor. Never had a problem.

You are right to be cautious about the weather. Wind can kick up quickly. Check with any sailors you see down there. They always get the best forecasts.

Yes re the permits. Not certain re tying up, but if you are just leaving it to go get some tacos and beer I am pretty sure no one will hassle you unless you are in a personal slip.

Re the fish, don't go 20 mi offshore in your skiff with your new crew. YT near the islands and dorado under the sargasso or shark bouys. That is a transition time. Some years the dorado are there in June, other years not so much. YT should still be there. The most common spot that I have fished for dorado, and also regularly see a fleet of pangas is northeast of I. Coronado. Look for frigates! Also can find pargo trolling big rapalas near the rocks from the coast just north of the riverbed north of town all the way to San Juanico. I have caught roosters trolling off the beach near that riverbed. YT can be anywhere. Depends on the bait though. You can follow the pangas if you are having trouble. PM me if you have questions. Going down again in August. Have a safe trip and catch lots of fish.

Rick

Sparetimewanted - 5-6-2013 at 08:50 PM

Oh, and if you don't already know this place, take your crew into the beach of Isla Coronado (cove on the west side) for a drink and a swim. Beautiful spot. Also has a head for the crew. There is a similar spot on I. Carmen.

aguachico - 5-8-2013 at 04:20 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Seems like that week should be light as far as tourist go. Good time for a relaxing Baja vacation.

saludos