BajaNomad

Punta Estrella Trip Report May 2013

mrfatboy - 5-6-2013 at 04:52 PM

Our group finally decided to try Punta Estrella this year for the first time. It was $40/day/car. On the pricey side. Clean showers and toilets. The campsites are very nice and clean. Water is provided to each campsite and they even have a light bulb powered at night.

They just filled the pool for the summer. It was nice to cool off the first night. We were the first one's in which is a "good" thing. That was my first and last try at that pool. :lol: The pool filters were NOT running and I saw them dumping the contents of Bleach marked bottles in the pool Sunday. Swim at your own risk. It's a poorly designed pool.

Under the pool there are about 20 little rooms about 8x10 in size. Each one had a bed, couch, and sink. The doors are glass and are tiny in size. Supposedly they go for $100/night. My buddy asked if that included a "women" :lol: I wanted to change out the light bulbs to "red" light bulbs. I have no idea who they would be marketing to for $100 per night.

On our way back I stopped at the Telcel store in Mexicali (next door the Carls jr) and got my SIM for my iphone 5. It was 149 Pesos. You can't buy a SIM in San Felipe.

We crossed the West Calexico border about 1:30pm Sunday. Our car had Sentri and took 20 minutes. My buddy did not have Sentri and took 1hr 30min to cross.

Punta Estrella Campsites

Back Lot Campsites

Morning Moon

5:00am Sunrise

Nice Beach

Sunrise

"The Best LiL hoarhouse in San Felipe?" :lol:

"Be the first one in if at all"

[Edited on 5-7-2013 by BajaNomad]

sancho - 5-6-2013 at 05:27 PM

I've got to where I start whining at above $25 for a Baja
campsite, love those Cortez sunrise's, that is
my favorite time, kinda gets a little spirtitual then,
is the sea temp warm?

mrfatboy - 5-6-2013 at 05:58 PM

Our guess the sea temp was 79 degrees. Chilly to get in but soon feels refreshing. The women got in so it can't be that cold. :)

Ateo - 5-6-2013 at 06:11 PM

Thanks for posting!

TMW - 5-7-2013 at 11:58 AM

Interesting place, I too love the sunrises. Thanks