BajaNomad

On the rocks

durrelllrobert - 5-7-2013 at 03:52 PM

Don't know where this is or who took it. I just found it hard to explain:

[Edited on 5-7-2013 by durrelllrobert]

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 03:59 PM

Selling your boat to the insurance company when the market's bad.

J.P. - 5-7-2013 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Selling your boat to the insurance company when the market's bad.

A Man's gotta do what a Man's gotta do:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

chuckie - 5-7-2013 at 05:18 PM

Oh My!

David K - 5-7-2013 at 05:33 PM

What is the name of the boat, the Martini ???:rolleyes:

Alan - 5-7-2013 at 05:37 PM

Too much dependence on an autopilot. A few months ago I saw a sailboat plow right through a fleet of pangas fishing a hump and no one was at the wheel. Thankfully the pangueros didn't have A/P and were able to start up and scatter in time.

chuckie - 5-7-2013 at 06:10 PM

Its the Gringo way...rely on technology, forget common sense....

mulegemichael - 5-7-2013 at 06:59 PM

gotta feeling when he was coming across that hump it was high tide and he was riding the high surge...till it came down......then the tide went out!...ALMOST have been there done that, but not quite...thankfully!!

toneart - 5-7-2013 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Its the Gringo way...rely on technology, forget common sense....

He was relying on his GPS to get himself to that exact spot. :lol:...the inverse of a marked fishing hole.

Could that be Santa Inez Islands?

Mulegemichael is right, I think. Seems to be the way he ended up high and (sort of) dry.

Skipjack Joe - 5-7-2013 at 11:15 PM

Looks like the work of a sleeper wave.

A friend of mine told me of an experience that ended like that. He was fishing rockfish off the local reef here in Half Moon Bay between the two buoys. Facing the reef, he never saw it coming. He knew he was in trouble when the water sank down below him. When he turned around it was too late. A wall of water crashed down on him and his boston whaler tossing it like a matchstick.

After years of fishing and sleeping overnight on the Farallones to catch the morning bite, he learned with just this one incident how dangerous those seas can be. Dave Black - he fishes trout in Oregon now.