BajaNomad

Tigers Cave La Cueva de las Tigres

nobaddays - 5-10-2013 at 07:17 PM

Is this restaurant still in operation? Tigers Cave La Cueva de las Tigres

DENNIS - 5-10-2013 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nobaddays
Is this restaurant still in operation? Tigers Cave La Cueva de las Tigres

Nah....they tore it down around fifteen years ago.

chippy - 5-10-2013 at 07:33 PM

La cueva de los tigres manoman what memories. My mom had a trailer at Rancho Todos Santos for a couple of decades back then. Fun times.

DENNIS - 5-10-2013 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
La cueva de los tigres manoman what memories. My mom had a trailer at Rancho Todos Santos for a couple of decades back then. Fun times.

I had a place in there from '75 to '85. The Tigers Cave was very cool then.

chuckie - 5-11-2013 at 03:40 AM

Interesting , we were just talking about that place....had some good times there.....

DENNIS - 5-11-2013 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Interesting , we were just talking about that place....had some good times there.....

Great times....great people, especially back when Pat and Joe were running the place.
I don't even want to talk about what it has turned into. I'll just take my memories and run.

lizard lips - 5-11-2013 at 07:35 AM

I went to this restaurant many times and always had the Abalone. From what I heard the owner was serving Squid instead of Abalone and was fined by the city for misrepresentation. (Ya RIGHT-Fined for misrepresentation?)

After the restaurant closed over ten years ago you could rent the building for parties and thats where I had my 50th birthday party. Don't know whats on the property now.

durrelllrobert - 5-11-2013 at 08:26 AM

When I lived in Phoenix a bunch of us that hung out at an Italian bar/restaurant used to fly to San Diego and charter a bus to Ensenada. After a lunch stop at la Fonda and many drinks on the bus we would hit La Cueva de los Tigres for dinner and they would bring a giant tray of appetizers to the table. I remember one time when the owner of the Italian joint was so drunk from the trip down that he picked op a lobster tail and ate it Shell and all. We had to carry him out to the cab that then took him to the hospital. Pleasant memories of all the other dinners there.

DavidE - 5-11-2013 at 08:42 AM

Around thirty-years ago I was in the Astra supermarket and observed the owner of a "famous" Ensenada restaurant loading up his shopping cart with CANNED trozos de abalón. Each can costing a bit more than three dollars. From the c-cktails de abalon he served for six dollars each, four servings twenty four dollars per three dollars. Now THAT'S portion control!

DENNIS - 5-11-2013 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I went to this restaurant many times and always had the Abalone. From what I heard the owner was serving Squid instead of Abalone and was fined by the city for misrepresentation. (Ya RIGHT-Fined for misrepresentation?)

After the restaurant closed over ten years ago you could rent the building for parties and thats where I had my 50th birthday party. Don't know whats on the property now.

The owner, Guiermo, [everybody but me called him Tiger] opened an upscale restaurant in Playas Ensenada, a couple of blocks from the only RV park in the middle of town. He catered to the well-to-do locals and was successful.
Not sure if it's still there or not.
Anyway.....The Tigers cave was built when everything was for sale in Ensenada, including permits for these ventures.
He built it so close to the water that, on one or two of those unusually heavy weather days, the dining room was in the water......waves crashing through windows.
They had to extend the beach with huge rock and sand even further out to keep the surf from washing the whole building away.
Eventually, the wrecking ball got it anyway.

The Abalone was their specialty.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 5-11-2013 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Each can costing a bit more than three dollars.

Last time I saw a can of Abalone in a store here, locked up in a display case, it was in the eighty dollar range. That was maybe fifteen years ago....maybe longer.