BajaNomad

Jurel on the chew in Ensenada

woody with a view - 5-11-2013 at 06:06 PM

Just back from fishing Pta Banda, Ensenada with Beto of Vonny's fleet. Kinda wierd weather with the foggy June gloom morning sickness on the water. We caught a boat load of Barracuda, a small White Seabass and 2 Yellowtail. There were ALOT of Yellowtail out there but you had to chase the birds and chuck lures before the fish faded into the deep.

When we pulled up at 6am I told Bia to be quiet, and listen closely to the sounds on the breeze. It was hard to tell if it was my imagination or not, but I could SWEAR I heard bongo drums in the distance. Lo and behold, as we were waiting for our catch to be processed in rolls DENNIS and Bob Durrel!!! These guys have got it made out there! Sorry for our quick exit guys, we were starving and needed to get back home.

Tacos at El Trailero were insane, as usual! BTW, why can't they make tacos like that on this side of the border?

We crossed the border at 4am and were back home at 4:30pm!

Add your own caption here!

DENNIS - 5-11-2013 at 06:21 PM

Quite often, that little black pup is wearing a black and white striped shirt, and the "Zonkey" can pick up a full bottle of beer in his mouth, tip it back and drain it. [I once had a girlfriend who could do that...........really miss her]

The owner/operator of these animals treats them like royalty, for those who may wonder.

Glad you guys had a safe trip home, Woody.

Curt63 - 5-11-2013 at 06:27 PM

Real nice. How about that Hamachi?

Zdonkey

J.P. - 5-11-2013 at 06:34 PM

He takes better care of those animals than he does himself
the neighborhood takes pretty good care of all of them.
Sometimes I wonder Who the real Props are Him or The Animals.

durrelllrobert - 5-11-2013 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Beautiful YT. Sorry I didn't get to see them before the surgery Glad you had a (fairly) successful trip and a safe trip home.

I'll be going out with Betto when my son-in law and daughter come down from Alpine in a few week. Hope the YT are still around.

acadist - 5-11-2013 at 09:20 PM

Nice tails:yes::yes::yes:

DianaT - 5-11-2013 at 09:34 PM

What a fun day for the two of you! I love that first picture --- happiness all around!

Pacifico - 5-12-2013 at 06:51 AM

Awesome! Looks like its gonna be a great summer!

BornFisher - 5-12-2013 at 06:59 AM

Great call and better timing Woody! Congrats!!
This time of year is great with all the options and all the hope.

Bob H - 5-12-2013 at 07:03 AM

Awesome!

woody with a view - 5-12-2013 at 11:01 AM

yep, bring on the summer. the water temp was around 65 already.

woody with a view - 5-12-2013 at 02:22 PM

and i almost forgot to add that DENNIS so graciously gave my his propane smoker, complete in the carrying case-with instructions!!!!

Thanks, DENNIS! it'll get a workout. pics to follow!

Ateo - 5-12-2013 at 04:05 PM

Very nice little trip! A success!

Bajaboy - 5-12-2013 at 04:09 PM

Nice...when's the bbq?

woody with a view - 5-12-2013 at 04:20 PM

well, i gotta work 7 ten hour days thru next sunday and THEN see how far the mason's got. then i get a 4 day Memorial weekend!

the food saver came in handy so fresh YT for awhile!

Bajaboy - 5-12-2013 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
well, i gotta work 7 ten hour days thru next sunday and THEN see how far the mason's got. then i get a 4 day Memorial weekend!

the food saver came in handy so fresh YT for awhile!

that sucks but it beats not working....I plan on spending Memorial Weekend in Baja...

woody with a view - 5-12-2013 at 05:25 PM

sounds great!

mulegemichael - 5-12-2013 at 05:48 PM

i would think sushi tonite on the cutting board...nice fish you guys!.....now, all together now: tuna, tuna, tuna, tuna, tuna, tuna, etc, etc!!!

woody with a view - 5-13-2013 at 03:32 AM

pray4tuna....:saint:

boe4fun - 5-13-2013 at 08:22 AM

Hey Woody, I've got a great recipe for the brine and smoking process, I got it out of WON years back. If you're interested I'll scan it and email it to you. Let me know - Pablito

durrelllrobert - 5-13-2013 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
Hey Woody, I've got a great recipe for the brine and smoking process, I got it out of WON years back. If you're interested I'll scan it and email it to you. Let me know - Pablito

I could use a good brining recipe for fish. Send ME a u2u

woody with a view - 5-13-2013 at 06:01 PM

me too!!!!

:cool:

mirko - 5-15-2013 at 10:54 PM

Me too!

I smoke, but no brine. My fish keeps vacuum sealed for a while but not long, unless I feeze it.

woody with a view - 5-16-2013 at 05:10 AM

the sashimi is outstanding! in Yuma it tastes even better if that is possible. another chunk will be enjoyed tonight!