BajaNomad

Baja Nomad Playlist Update

CortezBlue - 5-15-2013 at 12:00 PM

Well it has been several years since I created the first BN Playlist on Rhapsody and I think it is time again.

Post your current top few favorites that take you to the beaches of Mexico or just help you escape the day to day stuff. You know, the songs you like to play when your are BBQing at home and drinking a Margarita or cerveza.

I will start with:

Zac Brown Uncaged, "going where the music meets the sea!"

neilm81301 - 5-15-2013 at 12:48 PM

Wall of Voodoo, "Mexican Radio"
<G>
Neil

Howard - 5-15-2013 at 01:57 PM

Chris Isaak, Baja Sessions

Loretana - 5-15-2013 at 02:07 PM

Los Lonely Boys - Sacred

mulegemichael - 5-15-2013 at 02:28 PM

canciones de mi padre...linda ronstadt.

edm1 - 5-15-2013 at 03:08 PM

Luis miguel el concierto

grace59 - 5-15-2013 at 06:14 PM

Soundtrack to Desperado
They all went to Mexico...Carlos Santana
That's why God made Mexico....Tim McGraw
Mexican Minutes...Brooks and Dunn

I have a long Playlist on my iphone. When I gave my old iphone 3s to a friend in Mexico, she laughed about how many different songs I had on there about Mexico.:lol:

CortezBlue - 5-15-2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grace59
Soundtrack to Desperado

I have a long Playlist on my iphone. When I gave my old iphone 3s to a friend in Mexico, she laughed about how many different songs I had on there about Mexico.:lol:

I am going to add some trivia to your Mexico Minute request. Try to find Mexico Minute by the original writer of the song.

The first time I heard it it I knew it was written by him.

Hint:

Anyone 40 to 65 knows his name

He is part of a great 70's duo

He has recorded many albums since the late 70's, of which I own all of them

Since the Internet will give you the answer so fast I will post it below if yo want to try to figure it out on your own........

Jimmy Messina, from Poco, Buffalo Springfield, studio Musician/producer. And of course
Loggins and Messina:yes:

[Edited on 5-16-2013 by CortezBlue]

CortezBlue - 5-15-2013 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Luis miguel el concierto

Very nice

Kind of a Mexicano Miguel Jackson;D

grace59 - 5-16-2013 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by grace59
Soundtrack to Desperado

I am going to add some trivia to your Mexico Minute request. Try to find Mexico Minute by the original writer of the song.

The first time I heard it it I knew it was written by him.

Hint:

Anyone 40 to 65 knows his name

He is part of a great 70's duo

He has recorded many albums since the late 70's, of which I own all of them

Since the Internet will give you the answer so fast I will post it below if yo want to try to figure it out on your own........

Jimmy Messina, from Poco, Buffalo Springfield, studio Musician/producer. And of course
Loggins and Messina:yes:

[Edited on 5-16-2013 by CortezBlue]

Good Trivia! I did not know this...I mean, of course, I know Jimmy Messina (I am in that age range :tumble:), I've even seen Loggins and Messina in concert "back in the day", but I had no idea he wrote Mexican Minutes. Tried to find it on Youtube, but there doesn't seem to be a video there. Too bad. I'd love to his his rendition.

wessongroup - 5-16-2013 at 05:29 PM

Thanks blue, didn't known that ...... way cool

CortezBlue - 5-17-2013 at 07:43 AM

I was a big loggins & Messina fan growing up, but never got to see them in the 70's

When they broke up and heard Keeny Loggins, I assumed that he was the talent of the group.

But, being an avid liner note reader, I started connecting the lines and realized Jimmy Messina was the real talent of the duo.

In fact, if you all remember their first album, it says it all

Kenny Loggins with Jimmy Messina, Sittin' In

The story goes, jimmy Messina had been signed to Columbia as a producer and his first project was a new guy, Kenny Loggins.

As the two worked on his new album, jimmy was filling in on guitar, mandellin and other instruments. Helped write the music and lyrics.

Obviously the help and combination of talents worked.

I finally saw L&M a few years ago during the reunion tour and I have to say, when you see them live Jimmy's talents really show

One of my favorite albums that didn't get much air play, is Native Son, good times!

CortezBlue - 5-17-2013 at 07:48 AM

Good Trivia! I did not know this...I mean, of course, I know Jimmy Messina (I am in that age range :tumble:), I've even seen Loggins and Messina in concert "back in the day", but I had no idea he wrote Mexican Minutes. Tried to find it on Youtube, but there doesn't seem to be a video there. Too bad. I'd love to his his rendition.

Here is a Friday morning gift

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/messinajim2

You can here some clips here:cool:

Osprey - 5-17-2013 at 07:51 AM

I just stick with the most popular stuff. I love to just go drivin down the highway with Little Dicky Doo and The Don'ts singin' "No Chemise Please".

CortezBlue - 5-17-2013 at 07:52 AM

For what it is worth, if you are a music junkie, and you use to cruise record stores like Tower Records, you have got to sign up for Rhapsody.

I use a sonos system and can be at my house in AZ or mi Casa in Mexico, using a VPN or course, and listen, find and discover some great music.

mtgoat666 - 5-17-2013 at 10:03 AM

speaking of playlists,.... anyone using spotify USA account while in Mexico? If yes, is it working for you?
any of you spotify subscribers going to switch to google's new service?

sancho - 5-17-2013 at 12:51 PM

Not that I'm a country listener, but G Strait 'Seashore
of Old Mex' is a good look, Kenny Chesney 'Beer in
Mexico' may work for some
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-9FdWmZqRQ

willardguy - 5-17-2013 at 01:02 PM

speaking of jimmy messina you gotta add the souther hillman furay bands "mexico" from their fine "trouble in paradise" album.
and lets not skip over concrete blonde's "mexican moon";D

Martyman - 5-17-2013 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
speaking of jimmy messina you gotta add the souther hillman furay bands "mexico" from their fine "trouble in paradise" album.
and lets not skip over concrete blonde's "mexican moon";D

Firefall also has a good song titled "Mexico"

DavidE - 5-17-2013 at 03:53 PM

"NO VALE NADA LA VIDA"
-various artists

"Purple Haze" Jimi Hendrix
From the '60's in the Mayabel Campground (that was it's original spelling

NO CONTROVERSY?

Howard - 5-17-2013 at 04:46 PM

This thread is the longest I can remember that there has been no mud slinging. I guess music soothes the soul.

So just in keeping with the normal nomad theme, CortezBlue, those are the worst selections of music that I have ever heard! :biggrin: :biggrin:

That should bring someone out of the wood work. :biggrin:

redhilltown - 5-17-2013 at 05:27 PM

A few good songs with "Mexico" in them are Poncho and Lefty (Townes van Zandt but usually courtesy of Emmylou Harris), Carmelita by Warren Zevon, and Seashores of Mexico by Willie and Merle (written by Merle):

"I left, out of Tucson, with no destination in mind.
I was runnin' from trouble and the jail-term the Judge had in mind.
And the border meant freedom, a new life, romance,
And that's why I thought I should go,
Start my life over on the seashores of old Mexico."

willardguy - 5-17-2013 at 05:31 PM

who could forget cheech and chongs "beaners" :lol:

toneart - 5-17-2013 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
canciones de mi padre...linda ronstadt.

Michael,

You've got my vote! :yes:

CortezBlue - 5-18-2013 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
A few good songs with "Mexico" in them are Poncho and Lefty (Townes van Zandt but usually courtesy of Emmylou Harris), Carmelita by Warren Zevon, and Seashores of Mexico by Willie and Merle (written by Merle):

"I left, out of Tucson, with no destination in mind.
I was runnin' from trouble and the jail-term the Judge had in mind.
And the border meant freedom, a new life, romance,
And that's why I thought I should go,
Start my life over on the seashores of old Mexico."

I have always said that I think, " The Sea Shores of old Mexico" would make for a great TV movie starring a much younger Willie and Merle.

However, their geography is a bit wiggly to get to Manzanillo

wessongroup - 5-19-2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for the "music" ...... much appreciated .... great thread :):)