BajaNomad

Oaxacan market in San Jose

BajaBlanca - 5-16-2013 at 11:43 AM

This market was set up in front of a huge Mega supermarket near where we were staying:

THIS GUY BELOW WAS ENGRAVING WALLETS OR LITTLE COIN PURSES HE HAD. WE GOT SOME FOR OUR KIDS:

THIS GUY WAS MAKING THE MOST AMAZING ART WITH BARK - WE ALSO BOUGHT SOME FOR OUR KIDS:

DENNIS - 5-16-2013 at 12:15 PM

They come to Ensenada as well with some really interesting inventory.

There's a good lesson to be learned here....When tourism is down, take your show on the road.

Any tlayudas in La Paz?????thread hijack

akmaxx - 5-16-2013 at 01:25 PM

I heard there was a tlayuda stand on Calle 5 Feb in the evenings but I have not been able to spot it.

Any Pacenos have more detail on where I could find a tlayuda in La Paz (not worth the drive to SJC - yet).

Gracias muchisimas.

DENNIS - 5-16-2013 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akmaxx
I heard there was a tlayuda stand on Calle 5 Feb in the evenings but I have not been able to spot it.

OK...I was going to ask what's a Tlayuda, but I looked it up. Don't know why I've never heard of these. They look really tasty....kinda like a Oaxacan pizza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUZCDIDlI0

[Edited on 5-16-2013 by DENNIS]

BajaBlanca - 5-16-2013 at 09:00 PM

We had some on the mainland.

I wd be very interested to know if there are any in la paz. The ones we ate were not so good......cold beans ???

Udo - 5-17-2013 at 07:43 AM

Two years ago, we ate some at the Tequila festival in TJ (mid October). Our Tlayuda had a mixture of HUITLACOCHE, beans, some goat meat, lettuce and a white crema sauce which topped a small amount of shredded lettuce and Oaxacan queso.

YUMMO!

The festival brings food vendors from all over the country.

BajaBlanca - 5-17-2013 at 08:46 AM

goat meat huh, never knowingly ate it :o

[Edited on 5-17-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Anybody from SJC know if this market is still there????

akmaxx - 5-25-2013 at 12:53 PM

OK...my tlayuda craving warrants the drive from La Paz but only if the market is still there this weekend. Anybody from SJC still see it there?

BajaBlanca - 5-25-2013 at 02:59 PM

I"ll send a note to bajajudy, she might know or at least can call the store and ask.

BajaBlanca - 5-26-2013 at 07:37 AM

I called the store today - they are not there any more ))):

woody with a view - 5-26-2013 at 07:44 AM

how about some roasted grasshoppers? mmmm......

durrelllrobert - 5-26-2013 at 04:13 PM

All of the merchandise they sell would be cheaper to buy in Oaxaca but then again Ensenada is closer so I'll just wait until they come back again.

DENNIS - 5-26-2013 at 04:27 PM

Last time I went, I bought some arthritis cream with bee venom.
Well...I can hear the questions, and all I can say is, like any witchcraft or voodoo, if a person thinks it works, it will work.
I think it worked. Didn't cost much anyway.

durrelllrobert - 5-26-2013 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Last time I went, I bought some arthritis cream with bee venom.
Well...I can hear the questions, and all I can say is, like any witchcraft or voodoo, if a person thinks it works, it will work.
I think it worked. Didn't cost much anyway.

The Witch Doctor that my wife goes to in Chapultepec sells that stuff but his is also laced with marijuana.