BajaNomad

Nomads Begin to Climb Diablo Mountain!

David K - 5-24-2013 at 08:08 AM

Desert Rat, Graham, and 'Roger' (Baquito?) are on the plateau and going to start the climb of Baja's highest mountain...

See the thread with photos and starting today, SPOT locations: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=66483

Here also is the first SPOT location:

Vince - 5-24-2013 at 08:55 AM

We all wish them well and good climbing. I hope there is still some water in the ponds so they can cool off. When I climbed it Easter Week, 1957 there was so much water in Diablo canyon we had to belay our packs and swim across a small lake within the canyon walls. We took our time.

TMW - 5-24-2013 at 10:58 AM

Good luck and a safe trip. Will they climb up and meet someone or will they come down as well?

sancho - 5-24-2013 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
When I climbed it Easter Week, 1957

57' that's impressive, wonder how far east you can
see from 10,000 ft?

David K - 5-24-2013 at 02:06 PM

On a clear day, well into Mexico mainland and Arizona (you can see there from the observatory, 1,000 feet lower)...

Nomads, I will not be here to post SPOT maps from Graham for the next three days, just fyi. Baja Angel & I are Baja bound! I will welcome anyone else who is on Graham's SPOT email list to post them. Otherwise, I will post each SPOT location that Graham sends out, upon our return.

Have a great weekend amigos!

woody with a view - 5-24-2013 at 03:05 PM

cool.

bajaandy - 5-24-2013 at 05:39 PM

That is a fantastic trip. I cannot wait to hear the trip report from these guys. What an undertaking... I can speak from experience that it's one hell of a workout! But what an awesome peak to sit atop. The views are simply outstanding. (Of course, provided it's not hazy and overcast like it usually is this time of year!) Regardless if they make the summit, a trip in the Parque San Pedro Martir is such a joy. Sending positive energy and thoughts their way!