BajaNomad

Tootsie's in San Ignacio

BajaBlanca - 5-24-2013 at 07:08 PM

we made a special trip today to eat at Tootsies, located one block off the main square. It is run by Toni who is Teri and Gary's daughter.

How to get there: if you are at the church, look for the taco stand across the park to the left:

If you look left, you will see Juanita's baby blue Casa Leree guesthouse and an old white dilapidated building:

and that red sign, on the right side of the street is Tootsies!

Inside is very rustic and since I went to school in Santa Cruz, Ca. I felt right at home:

the owner herself:

the back courtyard is HUGE and the garden is really beautiful:

This was the special today and we both ordered it...sooo good ...

Inside, there is a picture of this fallen tree:

and the tree is still outside!

so, if you are in the area, we recommend TOOTSIE'S!

DENNIS - 5-24-2013 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

the owner herself:

WOW..........I'm gonna print this and keep it in my wallet next to Marilyn Monroe
What a pretty lady.

BajaBlanca - 5-24-2013 at 07:38 PM

She is gorgeous and sweet and a good cook! single? don't know fo sure, but I guess so ....

DENNIS - 5-24-2013 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
single? don't know fo sure, but I guess so ....
No. Not in my heart she isn't. :D

chuckie - 5-24-2013 at 09:46 PM

What are the hours? We have tried to go there twice and it hasnt been open.

mulegemichael - 5-25-2013 at 07:30 AM

she's single and in the market....a really cool lady!

BajaBlanca - 5-25-2013 at 07:47 AM

We also went there once before and she was not there and yesterday we had to hang around for 30 min til she opened.....she was probably inside, but we never thought to knock.

She is open from1:00 on on Friday......the other days, i really don't know. The best bet is to contact mom and dad at the ignacio springs. Somewhere i do have a pic of the hours, I will hunt for it.

mtgoat666 - 5-25-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
we made a special trip today to eat at Tootsies, located one block off the main square. It is run by Toni who is Teri and Gary's daughter.

How to get there: if you are at the church, look for the taco stand across the park to the left:

and the tree is still outside!

so, if you are in the area, we recommend TOOTSIE'S!

my 2 centavos:

there are some nice old bldgs on that block, wish someone would restore them before they fall into unrepairable state.

just remove the tree, and fix the bldgs! it is not pretty to kep the tree trunk.

that plaza needs some shade sails, or a new tree!!!!!! hint, hint,... plant a tree!!! cut up the old dead wood!!!

by the way,... the charm of that town is the old buildings, if the locals let the old buildings fall into disrepair, the town will be toast,... someone needs to step up and fix that block of buildings!

[Edited on 5-25-2013 by mtgoat666]

BajaRat - 5-25-2013 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
The best bet is to contact mom and dad at the ignacio springs.

Yes, and bring some flowers........... Dennis you ain't kidding , shes beautiful.

And as for the "dead" tree.... I think its so cool that they have a pic of when it happened and to see what time and weather have done to it.

P.S. Blanca, the pics and story were great !

[Edited on 5-25-2013 by BajaRat]

San Ignacio

John M - 5-25-2013 at 03:53 PM

Using Google Earth, I tried to pin point Tootsies - comment? Am I close?

John M

BajaBlanca - 5-25-2013 at 07:23 PM

Looks spot on. You can't miss it once you find casa leree, the oldest guesthouse in these parts. Everyone knows where "Juanita" or the museo is.

From casa leree, look down the street, on the right. A one minute walk.

durrelllrobert - 5-26-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:

and that red sign, on the right side of the street is Tootsies!

Why doesn't the sign say Tootsie's instead of OPEN and why does it always say OPEN when it isn't?

DENNIS - 5-26-2013 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

Why doesn't the sign say Tootsie's instead of OPEN and why does it always say OPEN when it isn't?

Cuz it's in a foreign language and nobody knows what it means?

durrelllrobert - 5-26-2013 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

Cuz it's in a foreign language and nobody knows what it means?

OK I'll order the unknown foreign language Rosetta Stone and learn to speak it.

Bob H - 5-26-2013 at 04:42 PM

Man, I just have to get down there soon!! Missing Baja right now.

Bajahowodd - 5-26-2013 at 04:44 PM

Let me get this straight. Tootsie, or whatever her actual name is, is the daughter of the folks that run Ignacio Springs B&B. Those folks are Canadian. So, Did the daughter get bored hanging around her parent's hotel?

Since I've never been to Tootsies, I cannot comment on the food.

woody with a view - 5-26-2013 at 06:38 PM

i'd give my left, ahem, for that decorated longhorn skull!!!!!!

BajaBlanca - 5-26-2013 at 06:43 PM

Tootsie is the name of the restaurant.

I believe Toni is the daughter's name. Her parents own the yurts at Ignacio Springs Inn and she came down to Mexico to open her own restaurant.

In the last photo, only the OPEN sign shows, but right above it is a big black sign which indeed says TOOTSIE'S !

Beautiful Pictures, bajablanca

Gypsy Jan - 5-26-2013 at 06:45 PM

You have really figured out the photo posting thingydingy.

I am jealous. :)

ElCap - 5-26-2013 at 08:33 PM

Toni is the daughter of Gary & Terry, who own San Ignacio Springs B&B, better known as the yurts on the river. I believe Tootsie's is named after Toni's grandmother.

BajaBlanca - 5-26-2013 at 10:04 PM

1-9 pm Tuesday thru Saturday
Closed Sunday
Open 3-9 Mondays

Bajahowodd - 5-27-2013 at 04:08 PM

Well, as a lover of trivia, I do find it interesting that the daughter of the Canadians decided to open a taco shop in town.

She is quite beautiful. Gary and Tery never heard about "lock up your Daughters", I guess.:lol:

Bob H - 5-27-2013 at 07:41 PM

I like the fallen tree .... !!

BajaBlanca - 10-9-2013 at 11:10 AM

Tootsie's in San Ignacio has reopened for the season!

This is what her parents wrote today:

Last night we attended the grand re-opening of Tootsie's Bar and Grill run by the famous Toni Marcer! The margaritas and the margarita Pizza appies were free and food was delicious. it was so nice sitting in the courtyard and the temperature was perfect. We had a lot of great people join us, like Karen Isaman and Edgar who are doing a sports project to benefit our community, Horst and Robin who surprised Toni when she was not expecting them, just the best, George and Mary Bandy who drove over from Campo Rene, and some of our favourite locals including Jaunita from Casa Leree, a lovely evening. So happy she is open again and she has been developing more vegetarian and vegan specials for the upcoming season. Her team did a great job, just like last season. Looking forward to another great year at Tootsie's! Just a note to some who have been asking, her day to close for this season is Sunday with a late opening on Monday at 3 pm, 1 - 9 pm the rest of the week.

motoged - 10-9-2013 at 11:29 AM

Blanca,
Thanks for the update and reminder. ;D

DianaT - 10-9-2013 at 11:41 AM

It wasn't open the last time we were there. We hope to be able to try it this year! Thanks for the update

rufflife - 10-10-2013 at 07:07 AM

Tootsie's is definitely on my list of Baja favorites! :)