BajaNomad

Dog friendly hotels/motels in Baja?

Howard - 5-25-2013 at 08:23 PM

Lets play nice and share!

I travel from the border to Loreto with my Labrador Deceiver and was curious about other Nomads experiences what hotels they stay at with their dog. I am talking about their pet policy and not sneaking him in the room.

My normal go to places are:

Guadelupe Valley = Fatima - $45
---------------------------------------------------
San Quintin = Either, La Villa de San Quintin - $49 (beautiful rooms with a decent restaurant)
OR
Jardines- (with a great restaurant)I think around $31
-------------------------------------------------------
El Rosario - Baja Cactus I think around $35 but not sure
--------------------------------------------------------
I have stayed with the pooch at all of the above except Baja Cactus as they have been full each time I went. (I did not make reservations)

OK, time to share, give it up, where do you stay with Fido?

[Edited on 5-26-2013 by Howard]

DianaT - 5-25-2013 at 08:58 PM

The only thing that is a bit of a risk with sharing these places as there are some who really abuse the places that accept dogs and destroy a good thing. Let's hope that does not happen.

Also, just a word about sneaking dogs in --- and yes, while driving back and forth on the mainland, we have been guilty of doing so, it really is not fair the the people who are VERY allergic to dogs.

With that said ---

Hotel Sanchez in Vicente Guerrero allowed pets, but that was several years ago so I am not sure.

Don Diego in Vicente Guerrero allows pets. We have not stayed there, so I do not know the price --- if in that area, we stay at my sister's home.

Jardines now has only some rooms that allow dogs --- we like the outside rooms

In the San Quintin area, the Mission Santa Maria allows pets --- the old La Pinta --- approx. 565 pesos and very clean, professional, and on the beach. We so hope this place is not ever screwed up by inconsiderate dog owners.

Cataviņa --- the Hotel Mission Cataviņa allows pets with an extra fee. We have also stayed at Linda's Cabana's with our dogs --- mixed reviews

Guerrero Negro --- Hotel Ballenas --- a bit rustic and old style baja hotel, but owned by a great family. The Caracoles and Cowboy have been very rude about the dogs, so we don't even ask any more

Mulegena - 5-25-2013 at 09:39 PM

El Palomar Valle de Guadalupe
El Palomar Motel about $400pesos
Basic rooms above the grocery store, no wifi, no restaurant.
Walk your dog across the highway in the tree'd rest area.
btw, you can buy really good wine here from the Valle de Guadalupe vineyards!
Pemex station, too.

2 hours south of Ensenada (San Vicente area, I think)
Motel Sonora about $350pesos
On the right side of Mex. 1 as you travel south.
Very nice small basic rooms, no wifi, no restaurant.
Adjacent fields to walk your dog.

El Rosario
Baja Cactus about $450pesos
On the left just past the Pemex as you go south
Beautiful rooms, wifi, restaurant
Walk your dog in the field next to Pemex or around town.

Mama Espinosa's about $375pesos
On the left just past Baja Cactus as you go south
Basic rooms, wifi, restaurant.
Walk your dog in the field next to Pemex or around town.

Vizcaino
Motel Kadakaman $500pesos
Small, quaint rooms in a very quiet complex with lots of room to walk your dog. We've always asked for a room in the back facing the orchard. Have had no issues with our dogs, but other person reported he was asked to not bring his dog into the room. Wifi and restaurant.

San Ignacio
Rice & Beans Motel about $500pesos
Look for the signs on the highway just north of the turnoff towards town. Big place with rv parking and plenty of room to walk your dog. Can also walk on the rather quiet street in front.
Basic, but large, rooms with ac (ours was not working). Wifi available in restaurant or in rooms near the restaurant. Don't know how the food is.

Motel Fong about $400pesos
Turn off the highway towards the town, motel is on your right before you get to the river.
The room are small and basic, no wifi, but do have working ac. On-site restaurant for breakfast and a good cup of coffee/cafe colado.

As a side note, btw, when in a restaurant in Mexico always ask for "cafe colado con leche" or chances are you'll get Nescafe and white powder.

bkbend - 5-26-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote:

Don Diego in Vicente Guerrero allows pets. We have not stayed there, so I do not know the price --- if in that area, we stay at my sister's home.

Don Diego is about $450pesos large rooms and have done some remodeling and sprucing things up. Off highway and very quiet. Restaurant is usually good (some misses) and there is a great field to the west for walking dogs. Rabbits if your dog likes extra exercise.

Baja's Best in El Rosario allows dogs, Ed has a couple that wander around.

Quote:

2 hours south of Ensenada (San Vicente area, I think) Motel Sonora about $350pesos On the right side of Mex. 1 as you travel south. Very nice small basic rooms, no wifi, no restaurant. Adjacent fields to walk your dog.

I thought Motel Sonora was more like $300pesos, it's budget friendly. About 4-5K north of San Vicente but the highway is close and trucks make it a little noisy.

LaTijereta - 5-26-2013 at 11:04 AM

A little old, but a good starting point...

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-life/pet-care/petfreindlyhot...

:cool:

Lee - 5-26-2013 at 11:18 AM

I've heard stories about people abusing dog privileges and that's unfair for all dog owners.

For that reason, I don't share where I stay with my dog and don't care about dog policies. I don't ask for permission and don't feel guilty. I am honest if asked if I have a ''pet, but in The Baja, never asked. I'm prepared to pay 100 pesos for my dog and that's fine.

Those with allergies probably shouldn't be staying in Baja motels anyway and I don't give them consideration. I'm allergic to dogs other than my own and won't take the ''dog room.''

In negotiations, I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is. Like, here's 200 pesos. Inspect my room in the morning and if there's trace of my dog, keep the pesos.

I've never had a problem, North or South of the Border.

durrelllrobert - 5-26-2013 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Lets play nice and share!

I travel from the border to Loreto with my Labrador Deceiver and was curious about other Nomads experiences what hotels they stay at with their dog. I am talking about their pet policy and not sneaking him in the room.

My normal go to places are:

Guadelupe Valley = Fatima - $45
---------------------------------------------------
San Quintin = Either, La Villa de San Quintin - $49 (beautiful rooms with a decent restaurant)
OR
Jardines- (with a great restaurant)I think around $31
-------------------------------------------------------
El Rosario - Baja Cactus I think around $35 but not sure
--------------------------------------------------------
I have stayed with the pooch at all of the above except Baja Cactus as they have been full each time I went. (I did not make reservations)

OK, time to share, give it up, where do you stay with Fido?

[Edited on 5-26-2013 by Howard]

Just look for the motels that have a fire hydrant by the front door. I always see a lot of dogs hanging around those places. :lol:

Bajahowodd - 5-26-2013 at 04:55 PM

A note for those traveling without dogs. My wife is deathly allergic to pet dander.

Just seems to me that a property such as Jardines that has just a few designated pet rooms makes more sense to us than those places who give you run of the house, but charge an extra fee.

We just do not feel comfortable that a room that was previously occupied by critters was sufficiently cleaned of the dander.

boe4fun - 5-26-2013 at 05:03 PM

Hi Howard, We always stay at the La Mision Hotel by the Los Pinos ranch south of San Quintin. We've kept Tibby there many times, and the hotel is owned by the ranch now. They provide the clinic buildings for our Flying Samaritan's clinics there as well as a landing strip for the fly-ins, so I always buy gas at their pemex and stay in their hotel because they do so much for the community. Cielito Lindo also allows pets, as does the Cowboy Hotel in Guerrero Negro, but the Cowboy charges an extra 100 pesos for pets. Happy trails, Paul & Shelley

tiotomasbcs - 5-26-2013 at 05:52 PM

Hey Lee, what's up? You don't care about Hotel dog policies? No consideration for people with allergies?! Sounds a little indifferent. Talk about dog owners screwing up. You were the one who went Code Red about a mattress in GN, verdad! Hope you reconsider, Amigo. I like the idea of special rooms for guests w/pets and respect others! Otherwise I camp out on the beaches where it's pet friendly. :saint::spingrin: Tio

[Edited on 5-27-2013 by tiotomasbcs]

Lee - 5-26-2013 at 10:34 PM

Bloody mattress is the same as dog dander?

You've lost this argument already, Tom. Try again.

Oh, yeah. Cowboy charged me 100 pesos for my dog. They don't care what room I'm in. I like that.