BajaNomad

PITHAYAS (or PITAHAYAS/PITAYAS...

Udo - 5-27-2013 at 05:50 PM

We went to Ensenada for lunch this past Saturday and along the way (through TJ/Rosarito) we saw a large contingent of vendors on the streets that were selling PITAYAS (as they, the vendors, spelled it).
The vendors were selling them for 15 to 30 Pesos each.

We had tasted TUNAS (the ripe red fruit from the prickly pear cactus).

So we were curious as to the flavor of PITAYAS...

What a flavor experience!
They had a consistency of a watermelon, and a cross-flavor between a strawberry and a raspberry. They had some very tiny seeds that were much like that of a strawberry.

We took some home...although we later found out that PITAYAS were one of the CBP's forbidden fruit list. Good thing we only declared a couple of XOLO team shirts and two bottles of tequila we bought at COSTCO (thanks to bajaguy's suggestion).

Here are the photos of my attempt to making margaritas with them:

Peel three large fruits and blend or food-pro them til liquid. (they are fairly sweet).
2 oz of white tequila (if you use reposado or anejo, it may mask the flavors of the fruit.)
Juice of 1-1/2 key limes.

Pour the liquids in a c-cktail shaker and shake. Pour the contents into a glass with fresh ice.

Here are two of the fruits

Here is what two fruits look like peeled.

Two of the fruits before blending in a small food pro:

Two fruits after blending:

Two finished margaritas:

Enjoy...!

However...I can't wait until I taste the original ones that Shari makes.
Shari, would you let me know if I need to bring some down with us next month? I don't know what, or when, the season starts down south.

BajaBlanca - 5-27-2013 at 05:53 PM

Those drinks look really delicious!

Udo - 5-27-2013 at 06:01 PM

Thanks, Blanca...we'll drop by before July 6 for an HOLA!

(If you and less will be home)

durrelllrobert - 5-27-2013 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
We went to Ensenada for lunch this past Saturday and along the way (through TJ/Rosarito) we saw a large contingent of vendors on the streets that were selling PITAYAS (as they, the vendors, spelled it).
The vendors were selling them for 15 to 30 Pesos each.

We had tasted TUNAS (the ripe red fruit from the prickly pear cactus).

So we were curious as to the flavor of PITAYAS...

What a flavor experience!
They had a consistency of a watermelon, and a cross-flavor between a strawberry and a raspberry. They had some very tiny seeds that were much like that of a strawberry.

We took some home...although we later found out that PITAYAS were one of the CBP's forbidden fruit list. Good thing we only declared a couple of XOLO team shirts and two bottles of tequila we bought at COSTCO (thanks to bajaguy's suggestion).

Here are the photos of my attempt to making margaritas with them:

Peel three large fruits and blend or food-pro them til liquid. (they are fairly sweet).
2 oz of white tequila (if you use reposado or anejo, it may mask the flavors of the fruit.)
Juice of 1-1/2 key limes.

Pour the liquids in a c-cktail shaker and shake. Pour the contents into a glass with fresh ice.

Here are two of the fruits

Here is what two fruits look like peeled.

Two of the fruits before blending in a small food pro:

Two fruits after blending:

Two finished margaritas:

Enjoy...!

However...I can't wait until I taste the original ones that Shari makes.
Shari, would you let me know if I need to bring some down with us next month? I don't know what, or when, the season starts down south.

"The vendors were selling them for 15 to 30 Pesos each."
As I posted on another thread, a friend of mine just paid 240 pesos for 6 of them on the road to Buffadora. Of course that was peeled but He still got screwed.

David K - 5-27-2013 at 10:16 PM

What a treat... one of nature's finest fruits, and natural to Baja!

Pescador - 5-28-2013 at 07:13 AM

Those are Pithaya Agria or sour pithaya. When you want a really cool drink get some of the pithaya dulce.

Udo - 5-28-2013 at 07:29 AM

They were really sweet, Jim.

How are the dulces any different from the ones I bought? Different color, peel,?